U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-23-2011, 07:59 AM
 
Location: You know... That place
1,899 posts, read 2,438,167 times
Reputation: 2057

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
My whole argument is, trolling and bullying on the INTERNET should not have real world consequences. If someone takes the statements made on the internet and brings them out into school or thos statements cause others to treat the "victim" differently in the real world, then by all means, something should be done about THOSE actions.
Ok. So if I go online and post your home address and where you hide your spare key, and then include information about when you will be out of the house, I will not be responsible if your house is broken into and you are completely cleaned out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-23-2011, 08:28 AM
 
1,677 posts, read 2,059,294 times
Reputation: 5496
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
Ok. So if I go online and post your home address and where you hide your spare key, and then include information about when you will be out of the house, I will not be responsible if your house is broken into and you are completely cleaned out?
Or here's another example. Okay, I know this was a law and order episode, but it's still a good example. Somebody posts a woman's information on some rape fantasy website. Some man on that website uses that information to assault the woman. I think BOTH people are responsible, because the woman would not have been assaulted had that person not posted her info on that website.

OR, what if somebody was posting derogatory information about you, and a potential employer came across that info, causing you not to get hired. Maybe you never went online and never saw it, but it still affected your life.

Before the internet, people used to harass by phone. And people could actually face criminal charges for phone harassment. Nobody told them, "well, just don't answer the phone!" Why should a person not be able to answer their own phone? They should, and they should be able to do so without fear of someone bothering them.

But maybe the misunderstanding here is we're not differentiating between trolling and harassment. I think there is a difference between the two. Trolls are like irritating children, and it is easy enough to ignore or delete them. They say things to get a reaction out of people, and if they don't get that reaction most of the time they will go away. And trolls usually try to get a rise out of a group of people, which is different than a person targeting a particular person and relentlessly terrorizing them. Trolls usually don't have any real world consequences, but a person harassing someone else does cause real life stress, trauma, intimidation, fear, and pain. They have a vendetta against a particular person, or people, and they use the internet as a means of intimidation and slander. In the article, this man went out of his way to deliberately harass these certain people. He targeted people who's children had died. Needless to say that caused these family members a lot of unnecessary pain. I think he belongs in jail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2011, 09:20 PM
 
Location: Ohio
13,900 posts, read 10,789,719 times
Reputation: 7242
Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
Ok. So if I go online and post your home address and where you hide your spare key, and then include information about when you will be out of the house, I will not be responsible if your house is broken into and you are completely cleaned out?
What I am talking about is internet trolling and harassing. What you are describing is altogether different. But, to answer you, while posting someones info may be a dirty trick, no, I dont think you should be held responsible if someone breaks into my house as a result. You didn't tell anybody to break into my house did You? So why should you be held responsible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
OR, what if somebody was posting derogatory information about you, and a potential employer came across that info, causing you not to get hired. Maybe you never went online and never saw it, but it still affected your life.
.
This happens all the time, Except usualy its peoples own ignorance on their profiles that employers are looking at, not what others have said about them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2011, 12:17 AM
 
18,852 posts, read 31,727,414 times
Reputation: 26118
Just when you thought people could not think of more ways to be psycho. Internet trolling. Sad that someone's life is so empty that he even had time for this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2011, 05:32 AM
 
Location: The Conterminous United States
22,554 posts, read 47,358,457 times
Reputation: 13399
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I personaly dont believe anyone has ever killed themselves just because an internet troll bullied them.


I can't believe no one caught this. Or perhaps none of you have ever heard of this high-profile case? And the perpetrator was a parent.

Suicide of Megan Meier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Most of my career is based on free speech but there is such a thing as slander and libel, though it is a civil and not criminal matter.

The internet is real life, it just takes place in a different medium. I think we need to ask ourselves if would we look twice at an adult harassing a juvenile, even if it is just words. The answer is probably yes. And the same goes for an adult against another adult. It is harassment. And if we simply start quitting forums and Facebook we are eventually going to leave a good portion to the internet to bullies and a few people willing to put up with it. I think we are headed that way, anyway, on more than a few internet outlets.

I've been on CD a long time and I've come across a few creepy people. At least one absolutely terrified me and several others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2011, 06:34 AM
 
9,530 posts, read 4,872,412 times
Reputation: 3877
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I can't believe no one caught this. Or perhaps none of you have ever heard of this high-profile case? And the perpetrator was a parent.

Suicide of Megan Meier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Most of my career is based on free speech but there is such a thing as slander and libel, though it is a civil and not criminal matter.

The internet is real life, it just takes place in a different medium. I think we need to ask ourselves if would we look twice at an adult harassing a juvenile, even if it is just words. The answer is probably yes. And the same goes for an adult against another adult. It is harassment. And if we simply start quitting forums and Facebook we are eventually going to leave a good portion to the internet to bullies and a few people willing to put up with it. I think we are headed that way, anyway, on more than a few internet outlets.

I've been on CD a long time and I've come across a few creepy people. At least one absolutely terrified me and several others.
I didn't mention the Meier case because we Know that cyber bullying and harassment can have consequences. I think the differences are in how to address the issue. 'Turn off the computer' and 'hold the parents' responsible appeal to some. Enact and enforce anti- cyber bullying and harassment laws appeal to others.

Though a federal judge dismissed the convictions against the woman who harassed Megan, at least Missouri reacted by passing a state anti- cyber bullying and harassment law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2011, 06:55 AM
 
28,206 posts, read 20,752,042 times
Reputation: 16599
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
What I am talking about is internet trolling and harassing. What you are describing is altogether different. But, to answer you, while posting someones info may be a dirty trick, no, I dont think you should be held responsible if someone breaks into my house as a result. You didn't tell anybody to break into my house did You? So why should you be held responsible?



Many times when an address is posted online, the person tries to incite violence against the victim as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2011, 07:27 PM
 
Location: Ohio
13,900 posts, read 10,789,719 times
Reputation: 7242
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Most of my career is based on free speech but there is such a thing as slander and libel, though it is a civil and not criminal matter.
You said it.


Very unfortunant to say the least. Obviously a weak minded individual who couldn't pull herself away from the keyboaerd. As Ive said, there were likely other issues with this person at play other than cyber-bullying.
Quote:
I think we need to ask ourselves if would we look twice at an adult harassing a juvenile, even if it is just words
.

I wouldn't. Ive dealt with internet trolls before and because of the anonymity that most sites provide, I couldn't tell if it was a fiftee year old man or a 12 year old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Many times when an address is posted online, the person tries to incite violence against the victim as well.
And as ive said, if there is a threat of real world harassment, then yes, it should be investigated and dealt with by the authorities.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 09-24-2011 at 07:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2011, 08:16 AM
 
28,206 posts, read 20,752,042 times
Reputation: 16599
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Very unfortunant to say the least. Obviously a weak minded individual who couldn't pull herself away from the keyboaerd. As Ive said, there were likely other issues with this person at play other than cyber-bullying.
"Weak minded individual"???

REALLY?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2011, 09:00 AM
 
9,530 posts, read 4,872,412 times
Reputation: 3877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
"Weak minded individual"???

REALLY?

Megan had mental health issues. Why anyone would refer to her or anyone else with depression or ADD or self-perceived weight problem as 'weak minded' is beyond me.

Would a 100% mentally healthy 13-year old girl [are there any ?] have killed herself ? I don't know and don't care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top