U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 12:16 PM

13,900 posts, read 10,815,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Yes, but of course, pay the money back? Uh huh. Where is she going to get the money to pay it back? Nice, worthless symbolic gesture. Another waste of the tax payer dollar, to sue her, to get this "judgement," which will NEVER be collected on.

But what the hell, as long as people "feel good."
I dont think the tax payers of FL. wil mind Phil......

Let her swim in a pool of debt the rest of her life! I'm just disappointed she didnt get the full 500k charged to her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 04:58 PM

13,930 posts, read 19,205,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
It's not just worthless symbolic gesture... At least she will have this debt hanging over her head...until she pays it all back 'if' she is ever able to do so. Call it financial debt obligation or baggage...whatever, but it does mean something. And it feels good...but not near as good as if she was in prison for murder. Maybe one day she will get a job and 'x' amount will be taken from her to payback the money she owes the state of Florida.
You realize that she's probably got a chapter 7 bankruptcy filing all ready to go? The chance that the state gets this money is somewhere between slim and none.

Old 09-17-2011, 06:34 PM

16,085 posts, read 23,962,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
You realize that she's probably got a chapter 7 bankruptcy filing all ready to go? The chance that the state gets this money is somewhere between slim and none.
Bingo

Old 09-17-2011, 06:35 PM

25,393 posts, read 30,810,506 times
Quote:
Wouldn't this be exempt? The court can defer payment until she has income.

Old 09-17-2011, 06:39 PM

29,988 posts, read 37,300,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
It's not just worthless symbolic gesture... At least she will have this debt hanging over her head...until she pays it all back 'if' she is ever able to do so. Call it financial debt obligation or baggage...whatever, but it does mean something. And it feels good...but not near as good as if she was in prison for murder. Maybe one day she will get a job and 'x' amount will be taken from her to payback the money she owes the state of Florida.
Not only that but it sets a precident that when you lie and law enforcement take action based upon the false information recieved that the person lying is culpable financially for that cost, not the public.

Quote:
There are some debts that cannot be discharged under bankrupsy. I would be very surprised if this one would be dimissed. Normally judgements are not. If they were everyone who was ordered to pay a judgement would declare bankrupsy to get out of it. Any future earnings will be garnished, count on it.

Old 09-17-2011, 06:59 PM

16,085 posts, read 23,962,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
There are some debts that cannot be discharged under bankrupsy. I would be very surprised if this one would be dimissed. Normally judgements are not. If they were everyone who was ordered to pay a judgement would declare bankrupsy to get out of it. Any future earnings will be garnished, count on it.
Depends on the type of judgement and bankruptcy filed.

If theres a way to get around paying the debt they'll do it.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Wouldn't this be exempt? The court can defer payment until she has income.
The court could defer payment, but if she files bankruptcy then it does not matter. All of her current debts will be included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Wrong. Civil judgements are definitely dischargeable. It happens all the time. Restitution owed to victims for willful and malicious injury are not dischargeable, but general restitution can be included in Chapter 7 filings, which is what Casey would file. Ultimately the bankruptcy court will have final say on whether she can discharge this but based on my knowledge of credit and finance law, it will probably happen.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:05 PM

25,393 posts, read 30,810,506 times
Quote:
The court could defer payment, but if she files bankruptcy then it does not matter. All of her current debts will be included.

Wrong. Civil judgements are definitely dischargeable. It happens all the time. Restitution owed to victims for willful and malicious injury are not dischargeable, but general restitution can be included in Chapter 7 filings, which is what Casey would file. Ultimately the bankruptcy court will have final say on whether she can discharge this but based on my knowledge of credit and finance law, it will probably happen.
All things considered, I would hope the court will not allow the bankruptcy. Her debt is a debt to society and punishment for her crime. I would hope they do not allow a bankruptcy to wipe that out...but it's Florida....anything can happen there...

Old 09-17-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
All things considered, I would hope the court will not allow the bankruptcy. Her debt is a debt to society and punishment for her crime. I would hope they do not allow a bankruptcy to wipe that out...but it's Florida....anything can happen there...
There is nothing they can do about it. The Bankruptcy Court is completely unconnected to the criminal courts and the state of Florida. They are a federal court and they have very little choice of what is and is not allowed to be dis-chargeable as the criteria has already been laid out.

Old 09-18-2011, 03:11 AM

22,839 posts, read 16,910,108 times
Damnit! Now that is going to **** me off! She or her fricken lawyers better not try to pull that stunt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime