Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 11:43 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,139,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I asume that will be the defense however - "he was resisting and this is our policy". Sadly, juries actually fall for it many times. What should be said is - policy and training must change and the entire methodology of police nationwide should change. It's an institutional problem.
NO, the only change neccessary is to lock up these 2 pieces of excrement in a non-protective custody environment in their immediete jurisdiction for life. Make examples of these pieces of dung and make it mandatory their lifeless bodies are buried on prison grounds. Snap a couple of photos of a headstone shaped like a badge and distribute it to every law enforcemant agency across the nation to show there are real consequences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 07:32 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
I read some place that police officers with higher education are less likely to be brutal. Maybe all police officers should have college degrees, then we would have less thugs and a more professional police force.

Old 05-13-2012, 09:20 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I read some place that police officers with higher education are less likely to be brutal. Maybe all police officers should have college degrees, then we would have less thugs and a more professional police force.
Yes but then the taxpayer would have to pay them more, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but not politically wise. As it is, the field of law enforcement is considered a blue collar career; not particularly well paid except for some municipalities that are ruled by powerful unions (and, in those cases, you have just the opposite problem - benifit and pension abuse for substandard work).

I have read that there have been pyschological and personality comparison tests with criminals and police officers. Not much difference. That is, the same motivators and stimulators are in place for both.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:25 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
That's a tough one!
You kinda have to put yourself in law enforcement shoes on this one
Law enforcement has to deal with,the mental impaired/Pcp drug addicts daliy.
That dude was resiting an awful lot.
First off Kelly's toxicology report showed NOTHING in his system. No alcohol, no drugs, NOTHING. He had mental issues that came into play, nothing more.

Seriously you will sit there and not defend yourself if some thug came up to you and was threatening to beat your ass? BS! I would be resisting too, and so would anyone else I know.

The problem is these cops took it TOO far, and seriously, if they had just spoken to him like a human, instead of treating him like some wild animal piece of trash that needed to be taken out, then this probably wouldn't have happened.

Quote:
In this area, the police department hires either college grads (granted a 2yr degree, but better than nothing right?!) or former military. It's damn near impossible to be hired unless you have one or the other for city police, now county deputy that's different. Especially Sheriff, lol. Anyone can be Sheriff as long as you have the votes.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:02 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
I think that law enforcement has a long way to go on working with people who have mental issues. Our goal has always been non-violent interventions, to de-escalate situations. I guess, by the time the cops come...it is past that...and they go straight to violence. This was really over the top though.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:47 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:
This was really over the top though.
Not over the top now-a-days....wish it were

Old 05-15-2012, 11:13 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,815,510 times
There was a city council meeting tonight that was on the local news. The audience let the council have it for keeping this beating under wraps and to demand that Officer Wolf be charged. One woman REALLY let them have it with both barrels. One man asked them how they would like it if he killed their son and hid the evidence. The release of the video has injected a new fire in the community.

City council meetings are broadcast live and they are also archived here:

City of Fullerton - Meetings Live!

Old 05-18-2012, 03:30 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
This man died. I have yet to see this on the news. Yet...Rodney King....who is still alive....that beating was on tv constantly.
If you want to be informed, read the UK news media even for domestic stories. You will never get even 5% of the news from the US news media. Certainly not any news that might be controversy.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:39 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,275,649 times
Quote:
Have you thought, maybe, the general public including yourself, are just expecting too much from police officers?

Police officers enforce criminal law. A mentally disturbed person and a whole lot of other issues, aren't crimes. When the police were originally instituted, that was their job. Enforce criminal law. Now its so wide spread, as to what the police are called for, its almost impossible for the police to deal with certain situations.

You can only train for and be able to handle so much. How do you know criminal law, civil law, and everything else under the sun? Landlord tenant disputes, probate laws, neighbor disputes, along with: How to balance your checkbook? How do I buy a new car? My drain is clogged, how do I unclog it? I can't afford a plumber.

And yes, ALL of the above questions and questions you cannot even fathom have been put to me. The lowly police officer and I am EXPECTED, by YOU and the community, to be able to answer them.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:15 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
If you want to be informed, read the UK news media even for domestic stories. You will never get even 5% of the news from the US news media. Certainly not any news that might be controversy.
Yes...mainstream media just doesn't cut it..you could also try RT television...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime