U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you in favor of the death penalty for a person convicted of murder?
For 52 66.67%
Against 22 28.21%
Don't Know 3 3.85%
Don't Care 1 1.28%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 02:52 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,512,050 times

Advertisements

You people sound sadistic. As bad as the people committing the crimes in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 05:14 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,175,380 times
Those who believe in the death penalty "if it's a pedophile who killed a child" but not if f.i. it's an old spinster randomly killed (burglary gone bad...) are not consistent. You are FOR Death penalty, or AGAINST, or else it's pen door for denial of justice.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:19 AM

14,441 posts, read 11,774,374 times
I am also in favor of the death penalty.

I also do not like the lethal injection. Many of us would like the idea of going to sleep and never waking up - if our lives were over. I would much rather see a death sentence that would not be painful - but graphically demonstrated the finality of the sentence. A twelve gauge shotgun close to the head would do. There is just something about watching a monster just go to sleep - even if it is forever!

I do agree that we should be close to 100% sure that we have the right guilty party. If the monster is shot (but lives) in the commission of the crime, in front of multiple witnesses, why wait? Then; I think that we should speed up the process. I also think that convicts serving life sentences should be euthanized if they desire - why waste our time confining them if they don’t want to live?

Old 12-28-2011, 05:34 AM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 14,909,558 times
I believe in the death penalty for those who are 100% beyond any doubt guilty of a death penalty crime. I am also in favor of the death penalty rather than a life without parole sentence. Why should the taxpayers have to pay for these losers?

Old 12-28-2011, 05:36 AM

20,976 posts, read 16,302,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
I followed Troy Davis execution in Georgia yesterday.

At 6 PM yesterday Lawrence Brewer was executed in Texas. No Amnesty International there ... Democracy Now not present in Texas ... People of Faith Against the Death Penalty not there ... groups against the death penalty cannot pick and choose which death to sensationalize.
He was white.

The leftie goofballs don't care when someone is white. It doesn't help their agenda.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:41 PM

14,523 posts, read 7,596,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
You people sound sadistic. As bad as the people committing the crimes in the first place.
Not so. Under the rule of law an offender should be punished for the crime of taking a human life premeditatedly, which is indicated by the 1st Degree murder designation. Said punishment should go on for the rest of the offender's life.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:41 PM

1,708 posts, read 5,459,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I am also in favor of the death penalty.

I also do not like the lethal injection. Many of us would like the idea of going to sleep and never waking up - if our lives were over. I would much rather see a death sentence that would not be painful - but graphically demonstrated the finality of the sentence. A twelve gauge shotgun close to the head would do. There is just something about watching a monster just go to sleep - even if it is forever!
I kinda like the idea of dropping them into a helicopter blade on live TV.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:43 PM

9,369 posts, read 18,044,553 times
My biggest gripe with the death penalty is the appeals process and how long it actually takes before they are executed. For some of the worst offenders, the methods of execution that are out there now are too humane. Like the scumbags who committed this horrible crime:

Murders of Channon Christian and Christopher Newsom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There isn't a torture or method of execution brutal enough for those low lives who committed this particularly brutal crime. There's certainly no point in keeping them alive at tax payers expense either. Same for serial killers. Why put a guy like Berkowitz, Manson, or Dahmer (thankfully someone blew out Dahmer's candle) in prison for life? They will never be "rehabilitated" or productive members of society. They've committed the ultimate crime and should pay for it with their own worthless lives. Just for good measure they should allow the crime victims loved ones to choose the method of execution.

So yeah, I guess you can say I'm for it.

Last edited by Coolhand68; 12-28-2011 at 03:05 PM..

Old 12-28-2011, 03:02 PM

403 posts, read 518,336 times
I suppose the death penalty isn't a deterrent. But like others have said, the process takes too long. It would likely be much more of a deterrent if they knew that they didn't have years and years in which to appeal.

Death penalty debates don't seem to accomplish much. Sort of like the debates about abortion. In the end, the focus should really be on getting the criminal justice system in shape OVERALL.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:58 PM

13,900 posts, read 10,812,414 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
None taken!

I would be lost if it came to Twitter or Facebook ... I don't do either ... stuck in the 20th century.
Eh....youe on City-Data so give yourself some credit. FB or twitter arent any harder than City-Data.

Quote:
I have found people are either for the death penalty or against it.
Well, when you put it that way, I'd have to say I'm definately for the death penalty. The only reason I would say I was against it is because it is far too easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
For those that are against the Death Penalty(I am for it in limited cases), how about this; the person convicted spends 23-1/2 hours a day in a 10x10x10 cell with a bed, table, chair, sink and a toilet, NO TV, NO radio, NO cd/tape player, they can have any books they want(two at a time), the 1/2 hour a day will be used for showering, shaving, etc.. Lights are ON from 6am until 10pm, off the rest of the day, they have NO control of this.
NO exercise rooms either.

They can have visitors, one day a month, for one hour, NO sex allowed.

There will be NO contact with other prisoners.
All at the cost of $25,000 dollars per year, per inmate. Courtesy of John Q. taxpayer. No thanks, hand those that are deserving over to old sparky, he'll send'em where they belong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
I kinda like the idea of dropping them into a helicopter blade on live TV.
Wow.....imagine the ratings that would draw in Kinda like the old timey hanging them in the town square, but on steroids!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
why waste our time confining them if they don’t want to live?
All the more reason tio force them to live if you ask me. Personaly, if I were convicted of a crime and sentenced to life, I would RATHER get the death penalty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Those who believe in the death penalty "if it's a pedophile who killed a child" but not if f.i. it's an old spinster randomly killed (burglary gone bad...) are not consistent. You are FOR Death penalty, or AGAINST, or else it's pen door for denial of justice.
It is these people I know immediately not to engage with, because they form their opinions on emotion, not reason, logic, or the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or