Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 05:46 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times

Advertisements

It seems when there's a missing or murdered child, a lot of the time it's some angelic, white girl...maybe that's changed, but it just seems that cases like Jon Benet Ramsay and Madeline McCann get the most publicity. Since when does the disappearance of say a black teenage boy, even if it's more mysterious or sensational, get as much attention?

Do you believe the media is really selective, think that people will feel more sympathy for certain people, so they choose what stories to blow up? Or is it just a coincidence?

I'm not accusing them of being racist but do you think there's something more going on here?

Old 10-12-2012, 06:01 AM

192 posts, read 256,233 times
When I lived in Montana, well actually a couple years before I moved there, there was a case of a boy named Zach Ramsay who was kidnapped and probably killed. He happened to be a black kid and it was never really huge news from that I can tell, it was mostly just something people in Montana knew about. This was 1996. If it was a pretty white girl like Caylee Anthony or Jessica Lunsford I would image it probably would have been a bigger deal, unfortunately.

Old 10-12-2012, 11:46 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
It seems when there's a missing or murdered child, a lot of the time it's some angelic, white girl...maybe that's changed, but it just seems that cases like Jon Benet Ramsay and Madeline McCann get the most publicity. Since when does the disappearance of say a black teenage boy, even if it's more mysterious or sensational, get as much attention?

Do you believe the media is really selective, think that people will feel more sympathy for certain people, so they choose what stories to blow up? Or is it just a coincidence?

I'm not accusing them of being racist but do you think there's something more going on here?
Since the media, like all other business' are there to make money, I think they choose the stories that are going to sell. I don't know what the demographic studies are in terms of news media consumption, but I'd guess that they are targeting their audience to that demographic and what they can relate to. It's kind of repulsive when you think about it. Racist? No. It's all about the $$$.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:47 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,962,389 times
I don't think it's racist either ... it's all about money. I recall Natalee Holloway's disappearance and now most of America knows the name ... Vandersnot's name ... mom's name, Beth, and the entire family history. Same with Caylee Anthony ... we even know the decor of this baby's room.

Zahra Baker was local for me along with Jessica Lunsford and our local news out of Charlotte followed their stories every single day on the 5 AM, noon, 5 PM and 11 PM news ... EVERY DAY ... then the network and cable news picked up the stores.

It does appear more often than not, it's a pretty little white girl. Other than money I don't know the reason why, but Trimac I do question this myself.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:43 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
It is called MWGS or Missing (PRetty) White Girl Syndrome...

Missing white woman syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-12-2012, 02:57 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,116,328 times
Quote:

Quote:

Wow....
I'm surprised to hear that it's that way in Australia - I never would have guess!
It's not at all that way here in the U.S.....

Old 10-12-2012, 05:51 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
Quote:

There definitely is. Example: When I was in high school in Detroit there were two series of child murders, neither solved. Four white kids, aged 10-12, from the wealthy West Side were abducated and murdered and to this day they have yearly retrospectives on the case, asking WHO IS THE OAKLAND COUNTY CHILD KILLER?

At almost exactly the same time, twice as many children, the oldest age 7, were being abducted from a black neighborhood and murdered. None of the parents had money. Most of the victims were kindergarteners and for that reason alone were twice as vulnerable as the kids in Oakland County. Today you cannot find any sign the the case is still under investigation. There has never been a book about it. I defy you to find anyone but me who even remembers it.

Which side of the tracks you come from means everything in a case like this.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:45 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
I guess that was the point of another thread I started on the death of a girl due to an ecstasy overdose. This is more what annoyed me about it. The fact that she was some blonde white teenager somehow made it more tragic. Of course people don't openly say it, but it sort of annoys me how they get the most coverage as if it's more of a tragedy. In fact there's probably an underlying idea that an American or Australian life is 'worth more' than an Indian life. One Australian dies in Iraq it's such a tragedy, 100 Iraqi civilians die, it's like 'oh well'. All life should be seen as equal. John Lennon's life is not worth more than an Indian beggar's.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:46 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
There definitely is. Example: When I was in high school in Detroit there were two series of child murders, neither solved. Four white kids, aged 10-12, from the wealthy West Side were abducated and murdered and to this day they have yearly retrospectives on the case, asking WHO IS THE OAKLAND COUNTY CHILD KILLER?

At almost exactly the same time, twice as many children, the oldest age 7, were being abducted from a black neighborhood and murdered. None of the parents had money. Most of the victims were kindergarteners and for that reason alone were twice as vulnerable as the kids in Oakland County. Today you cannot find any sign the the case is still under investigation. There has never been a book about it. I defy you to find anyone but me who even remembers it.

Which side of the tracks you come from means everything in a case like this.
Probably the same guy. He just figured out that the poor kids were easier prey in term of no press coverage.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:33 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
I believe that one problem is...not sure how to put this...but, most of the time children are killed by their parents, or immediate family members...step Father, boyfriend....and when the white media asks a person of color about that issue....they get jumped on for being racist. So...they may be just trying to avoid that situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime