U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-25-2011, 07:12 PM
 
Location: Whoville....
25,393 posts, read 30,789,619 times
Reputation: 14584

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
I sure think we should be writing letters to the editor of the Jax paper, letting them know how we feel, as well as, letters to the district attorneys office. It can't hurt and may help. I don't want the child turned back out, scot free. I want him to be given a chance to live a useful life, not locked up in some jail cell for the rest of his life, the sweetheart of some pedophile in prison......double punishment. He will become a monster.
He's already a monster. Why he chose to become one, only he knows. I know it's not his environment because many people have experienced worse and chosen not to kill. This was his choice.

There's an old story about an Indian grandfather talking to his grandson. He tells the grandson that inside every person lives two wolves, one evil and one good who are figthing for control. The grandson asks his grandfather, which one wins and the grandfather answers "The one you feed". No matter what our situations, we choose which wolf to feed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-25-2011, 07:28 PM
 
Location: Native Floridian, USA
4,907 posts, read 6,130,430 times
Reputation: 6118
Quote:
..kearneyhub.com...During Tuesday’s hearing, Illingworth said Payne had 40 lacerations and 40 abrasions on his body, and was dehydrated, malnourished and emaciated when he died. Granting Scoville probation would belittle the value of Landon’s life, the judge said.
Guinan said Scoville referred to himself as “the enforcer” and was a frightening individual with a history of violence.
“Could it be that he savagely beat Landon? I don’t think it’s that far fetched. He didn’t like (torture) — he loved it. He loved to torture,” Guinan said. “He hated this kid.”
Public defender Charles Brewster of Kearney said Scoville’s no-contest plea showed he was taking responsibility for his actions. Scoville didn’t speak on his own behalf but did write a letter to the judge.
“I believe he’s remorseful,” Brewster said. “I believe his statement for the court shows that.”
Scoville showed no emotion when his sentence was read, although his mother, Connie Scoville, fled the courtroom weeping.
Guinan said although there was no evidence to indicate Sharon Turnell was directly involved with Payne’s death, she was responsible for the months of abuse beforehand.
“She is the one that orchestrated the cold, calculated, sadistic torture of what she called a ‘very sweet little boy,’” Guinan said.
According to the other seven children in the Turnell household, Sharon encouraged them to pull Payne’s hair, would feed him hot sauce, had him tied down to the bed at night and once made him lick up his own urine.....
these monsters only got 49 years, eligible for parole in 24 1/2 and possibly out in 25. Why is this boy, at 12 years of age, being sent away for life ? He may not be redeemable but you want to send him, at 12, where he can be brutalized by older people, made a play thing.....that is compassion on your part ? IT almost seems as though you are one step from advocating to putting him down, like a rabid dog.....would that satisfy you then....? I'm done debating with you. Ivory tickler, I respect your opinion and stand on this but, is foreign to me so, I won't continue to engage in conversing with you about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2011, 07:50 PM
 
28,206 posts, read 20,790,996 times
Reputation: 16599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
He's already a monster. Why he chose to become one, only he knows. I know it's not his environment because many people have experienced worse and chosen not to kill. This was his choice.

There's an old story about an Indian grandfather talking to his grandson. He tells the grandson that inside every person lives two wolves, one evil and one good who are figthing for control. The grandson asks his grandfather, which one wins and the grandfather answers "The one you feed". No matter what our situations, we choose which wolf to feed.
I think the boy's environment, upbringing and experiences fed his inner "evil wolf".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2011, 11:20 AM
 
7,112 posts, read 9,367,961 times
Reputation: 8162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
It wouldn't matter who he is. I have no idea what his nationality is. I just know he, cold bloodedly killed his little brother. THAT is all I need to know.

He's a child but he's an evil child and evil children grow up to be evil adults. He needs to be locked away to protect society. Hopefully, that is what the courts will do.
I disagree that we know it was "cold-blooded." Was he left in charge of a baby who wouldn't stop crying and he didn't know what to do about it? (Some adults kill their own children -- not once, but up to a dozen times -- for exactly the same reason.) Was he re-enacting what was done to him at the same age but did a little too much damage? Was he just dinkweeding around with a dangerous weapon without supervision, and in the presence of an infant, and accidentally killed him? Did an adult have him do it for the promise of a reward? Is he mentally incapacitated himself in some way? The article I saw said NOTHING about the circumstances. There are all kinds of possibilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2011, 06:53 PM
 
9,235 posts, read 9,305,514 times
Reputation: 28953
Quote:
I think the boy's environment, upbringing and experiences fed his inner "evil wolf".
Perhaps, because I am adoptive parent I believe environment is more critical than heredity. Why was there only one Adolph Hitler? Dozens, perhaps hundreds of people, must have come from the same gene pool as he did.

Ultimately, I think what this debate boils down too is that some people believe in predestination while others, like myself, believe that success or failure in life is determined second by second, minute by minute, by the choices that we choose to make. Those choices are largely a product of how we were brought up and the circumstances in which we live.

I cannot countenance locking a twelve year old child up for life. Perhaps, society will suffer more because of it at a later date. However, the moral statement that makes about a people and a society is so great and so damning I have not the stomach for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2011, 11:54 AM
 
7,112 posts, read 9,367,961 times
Reputation: 8162
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Perhaps, because I am adoptive parent I believe environment is more critical than heredity. Why was there only one Adolph Hitler? Dozens, perhaps hundreds of people, must have come from the same gene pool as he did.

Ultimately, I think what this debate boils down too is that some people believe in predestination while others, like myself, believe that success or failure in life is determined second by second, minute by minute, by the choices that we choose to make. Those choices are largely a product of how we were brought up and the circumstances in which we live.

I cannot countenance locking a twelve year old child up for life. Perhaps, society will suffer more because of it at a later date. However, the moral statement that makes about a people and a society is so great and so damning I have not the stomach for it.
I would just like to add that nobody on this site probably has a tenth of the information needed to say what it really going on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2011, 10:20 PM
 
Location: Native Floridian, USA
4,907 posts, read 6,130,430 times
Reputation: 6118
Could you explain in a little more detail about what more we need to know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2011, 07:15 AM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
56,337 posts, read 54,765,930 times
Reputation: 66883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Years of intensive therapy could.
Not according to some psychiatrists. I've read articles/books by at least two that mention two types of persons that are simply not treatable, and they acknowledge that society does not want to hear this.

One is the person who has no regard for anyone else--something is missing, they never develop a conscience in the early years when the window of time for doing so is open, and they are unable to relate to or feel empathy for others. As one put it--if you leave the salt out of the cake recipe, you cannot go back and sprinkle the salt on top of the baked cake and expect it to fix the recipe. People use the word sociopath a lot, which this describes. This boy seems to fit into that box, although only a professional would be able to make that determination.

The other type of person is the truly paranoid delusional person--the one who thinks the CIA is spying on him through his television, for example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2011, 08:39 AM
 
28,206 posts, read 20,790,996 times
Reputation: 16599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Not according to some psychiatrists. I've read articles/books by at least two that mention two types of persons that are simply not treatable, and they acknowledge that society does not want to hear this.

One is the person who has no regard for anyone else--something is missing, they never develop a conscience in the early years when the window of time for doing so is open, and they are unable to relate to or feel empathy for others. As one put it--if you leave the salt out of the cake recipe, you cannot go back and sprinkle the salt on top of the baked cake and expect it to fix the recipe. People use the word sociopath a lot, which this describes. This boy seems to fit into that box, although only a professional would be able to make that determination.

The other type of person is the truly paranoid delusional person--the one who thinks the CIA is spying on him through his television, for example.
That is why I said "could" and not "will".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2011, 11:36 AM
 
7,112 posts, read 9,367,961 times
Reputation: 8162
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
Could you explain in a little more detail about what more we need to know?

Who me? We need to know if there is any chance an adult did it and blamed it on the kid. We need to know if the child is mentally ill or developmentally disabled -- that is, did he know what he was doing and is punishment or just better treatment/ support needed? We need to know whether or not it was an accident. We need to know all kinds of things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top