Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 08:47 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times

Advertisements

I'm still interested in knowing what "Why don't you take him and let him live with your children?" means too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 09:46 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I'm still interested in knowing what "Why don't you take him and let him live with your children?" means too.
The point was, the OP wouldn't want that yet the OP was preaching we should rehabilitate him and put him out in society. If you'd be afraid to let someone live in your house, doesn't it stand to reason you should be afriad to have him in society? If he's too evil and scary to have around MY kids, he's too evil and scary to have around ANYONE's kids. THAT is the point.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Is this in some sort of handbook? I hear this "argument" all the time. Can you please elaborate on why you made this statement and how it applies to our stance?
The point is, if you have so much faith in rehabilitation, you wouldn't be afraid to let him live with your kids. If you are afraid to have him live with your kids, then he shoudln't be around anyone's kids. It's hypocritical to say you wouldn't let him live with your kids but you're ok with him living in society. It's ok if we take risks with someone elses kids. Just not yours. I'm saying put your money where your mouth is. Offer to foster this child and have him sleep in your baby's bedroom.... I don't think you'd do that yet you argue he should be let loose???? Apparently, you're ok with tkaing risks with OTHER PEOPLE's children. Just not yours.

What I'm saying is that if you would not be willing to have him live with your kids, you should not be advocating unleashing him on society. Think about what you want done for your kids and give the same to everyone's kids.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 09-25-2011 at 10:46 AM..

Old 09-25-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
The point was, the OP wouldn't want that yet the OP was preaching we should rehabilitate him and put him out in society. If you'd be afraid to let someone live in your house, doesn't it stand to reason you should be afriad to have him in society? If he's too evil and scary to have around MY kids, he's too evil and scary to have around ANYONE's kids. THAT is the point.
Um no.

I wouldn't want most people living with me and my children that doesn't mean they don't belong in society.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:17 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,758,516 times
And we all know that if this were a freckle-faced white kid he would be rushed into treatment, maybe not charged with anything. Suspects of different races get different charges, and definitely different punishments, for the same crime. Now, if a kid that age sat there and said to me, yeah, I was planning this for weeks and finally saw my chance, even THEN I'd be wondering if this kid is capable of understanding what he's done. Public safety has to come first, but come on, he's just a child.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Um no.

I wouldn't want most people living with me and my children that doesn't mean they don't belong in society.
It is not ok to release someone to society if you do not trust they will not kill again. If you woudln't trust your kids with them, protect society from them.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
And we all know that if this were a freckle-faced white kid he would be rushed into treatment, maybe not charged with anything. Suspects of different races get different charges, and definitely different punishments, for the same crime. Now, if a kid that age sat there and said to me, yeah, I was planning this for weeks and finally saw my chance, even THEN I'd be wondering if this kid is capable of understanding what he's done. Public safety has to come first, but come on, he's just a child.
It wouldn't matter who he is. I have no idea what his nationality is. I just know he, cold bloodedly killed his little brother. THAT is all I need to know.

He's a child but he's an evil child and evil children grow up to be evil adults. He needs to be locked away to protect society. Hopefully, that is what the courts will do.

Old 09-25-2011, 02:03 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,174,310 times
Wow....hard call. I guess another point to consider is that in some cases, the genes of an individual don't seem to come together in a socially acceptable way. This child would have to be professionally analyzed, and perhaps from this point, a proper decision could be made. If they don't try him as an adult, then you have the problem of a 21 year old being out on the streets with the potential of harming his own children at a later point.

It is always hard when a person is judged at such a young age, but as pointed out in a previous post, young people who are messed up....grow up to be older people who are messed up. Then after they commit a horrific crime, society asks why no one looked for the 'signs'.

If you beat your babt sibling to death, and broke their leg at an earlier point, then there's a pretty big sign. Twelve or not.....

Old 09-25-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
It is not ok to release someone to society if you do not trust they will not kill again. If you woudln't trust your kids with them, protect society from them.
That is a ridiculous yardstick to use!

You don't know if this child (yes, CHILD) can be rehabilitated. IF he can, then he should be treated and released.

Old 09-25-2011, 02:59 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Given he's charged with first degree murder (premeditated), I'm going with too evil to ever let back out in society. I don't believe the environment made him do it. There are too many people who come for awful environments who do not kill toddlers.
I tend to agree. Some people are just NEVER going to be rehabilitable, and I'd say that a 12-year-old who is already capable of killing a toddler likely falls into that category. There's something basic missing that can't be added in at this late point in his life.

No warm fuzzy foster-mommy hugs or "loving environment" can fix somebody like that.

Maximum security prison isn't the right place, though. A tight psych facility would be a better idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime