U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 10:10 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,118,463 times

Advertisements

Did any of these kids ever have a chance ? His mother was 12 when she had him and they were in foster care together. She has gone on to have 3 other kids.......

What are others thoughts on putting a child in prison for life or is he too far damaged to be rehabilitated ? The rage this child must feel but I don't have any answers.

12-year-old Florida boy, Cristian Fernandez, faces first degree murder charge for 2-year-old's death - New York Daily News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 10:56 PM

14,505 posts, read 23,777,641 times
oh boy...between the mother not calling 911 for the 2 yr old, and then an abusive stepfather....I wonder if the mother accepted abuse as normal too....

The boy needs a psychiatrist (which they rarely get except to tranquilize them in prison) so sad for any of those kids....he is 12 and saw the stepfather shoot himself? Thats long term damage, prison will just make him a monster. Im not excusing any crimes but I have worked with FL state prison system and its a zoo which just creates more monsters.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:18 AM

1,739 posts, read 1,760,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
Did any of these kids ever have a chance ? His mother was 12 when she had him and they were in foster care together. She has gone on to have 3 other kids.......

What are others thoughts on putting a child in prison for life or is he too far damaged to be rehabilitated ? The rage this child must feel but I don't have any answers.

12-year-old Florida boy, Cristian Fernandez, faces first degree murder charge for 2-year-old's death - New York Daily News
Jail isn't the place for him. A physichiatric facility is.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:11 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,058,524 times
Quote:

Life in prison is appalling. This is a child. There are adults who don't get life in prison for killing their own child, so how and why is this little boy facing such a harsh sentence, especially considering the circumstances of his life? Why wouldn't this be the time that SOMEBODY gave this child the help he so desperately needs instead of locking him up forever? This is absolutely infuriating.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:39 AM

7,112 posts, read 9,347,648 times
We don't know whether he's mentally ill or sociopathic, or has a low IQ or what. I would not jump to conclusuions about where to place him. He may be none of the above. But I sure wouldn't want to let him loose without some serious, serious reparenting work.

Old 09-23-2011, 03:25 PM

25,393 posts, read 30,738,526 times
Given he's charged with first degree murder (premeditated), I'm going with too evil to ever let back out in society. I don't believe the environment made him do it. There are too many people who come for awful environments who do not kill toddlers.

Old 09-23-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Given he's charged with first degree murder (premeditated), I'm going with too evil to ever let back out in society. I don't believe the environment made him do it. There are too many people who come for awful environments who do not kill toddlers.
I do not believe that. I have seen an 8 year old charged with murder. You tell me how a child of this age fully knows what they have done......and I don't believe they have done much testing on this kid to determine whether "he is too evil to ever be let back out in society". Unfortunately, we don't try and rehabilitate (too much money), we just lock away and then turn them back out on society with no coping skills or even skills to get and hold a job.
I don't know the full answer but, I sure believe this isn't it...

eta: I also agree with the post above about other murderers of children who get nothing like this. Excellent point.

Old 09-24-2011, 02:35 AM

Quote:
I do not believe that. I have seen an 8 year old charged with murder. You tell me how a child of this age fully knows what they have done......and I don't believe they have done much testing on this kid to determine whether "he is too evil to ever be let back out in society". Unfortunately, we don't try and rehabilitate (too much money), we just lock away and then turn them back out on society with no coping skills or even skills to get and hold a job.
I don't know the full answer but, I sure believe this isn't it...

eta: I also agree with the post above about other murderers of children who get nothing like this. Excellent point.
If they're capable of premeditated murder, they know what they've done. 12 is not too young to know right from wrong and killing, at that age, indicates the presence of evil we don't want out in society.

I do believe an 8 year old can know right from wrong as well. Some children mature faster than others. 8 is old enough to know that killing someone is wrong. To kill someone because you decide to at 8, indicates pure evil.

I'm convinced that there are some who are just born evil. What causes one person to become a champion for ending abuse because of a horrible childhood while someone else chooses to kill because they had a bad childhood? Ans: THEY DO!!! Sadly there are kids all across this country from backgrounds like this who choose not to kill. How come they know enough to not kill?

The fact of the matter is, even in the worst situations, most children choose not to kill. Most adults coming out of horrible situations also choose not to kill. A bad environment is no excuse. There is something wrong with the person who chooses to kill.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 09-24-2011 at 02:46 AM..

Old 09-24-2011, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
Life in prison is appalling. This is a child. There are adults who don't get life in prison for killing their own child, so how and why is this little boy facing such a harsh sentence, especially considering the circumstances of his life? Why wouldn't this be the time that SOMEBODY gave this child the help he so desperately needs instead of locking him up forever? This is absolutely infuriating.
Why don't you take him and let him live with your children?

This boy needs to be locked away before another child dies. He is what he is no matter how he got that way. I don't buy that his circumstances made him do it because too many come from worse situations and do not kill. He made a choice to kill. That indicates the presence of evil.

I believe some are just born evil and it makes, logical, sense that they would be more likely to be born into bad situations because of genetics. Acorns, after all, do not fall far from the tree. If there's something wrong with the parents, it's more likely there's something wrong with the child. Like it or not, much of who we are is genetically influenced. While that is not the fault of the person who has an issue, society needs to be protected from them. To quote Mr. Spock..."The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.".

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 09-24-2011 at 03:19 AM..

Old 09-24-2011, 03:04 PM

So, no one can ever be rehabilitated ? One wrong move and your done ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or