U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2011, 08:18 PM

1,070 posts, read 1,380,722 times

Advertisements

by M. Williams Phelps, one of my favorite writers, it is the book I am presently reading. And it is spellbounding and captivating.

It is about a married Mennonite couple in Pennsylvania. He is the pillar of the community, and the town's Funeral Director, who have had during his married life, more than 12 known affairs, in less than 20 years' of marriage.

The last woman he met, his neighbor across the street, captivated his mind and existence. He became obssessed with her, making love in the funeral parlor, impregnating her, then killed his excellent wife and mother, to marry his mistress.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 08:21 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,985,404 times
Wow, I'm a True Crime follower and I have never heard of or seen anything about murder in the Mennonite community. Or the Amish, for that matter.

Thanks for the information. I'll have to read it.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:27 PM

13,900 posts, read 10,806,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latina7 View Post
by M. Williams Phelps, one of my favorite writers, it is the book I am presently reading. And it is spellbounding and captivating.

It is about a married Mennonite couple in Pennsylvania. He is the pillar of the community, and the town's Funeral Director, who have had during his married life, more than 12 known affairs, in less than 20 years' of marriage.

The last woman he met, his neighbor across the street, captivated his mind and existence. He became obssessed with her, making love in the funeral parlor, impregnating her, then killed his excellent wife and mother, to marry his mistress.......
Where's the funeral.........???

Could be a win win for him.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:28 PM

13,900 posts, read 10,806,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
Wow, I'm a True Crime follower and I have never heard of or seen anything about murder in the Mennonite community. Or the Amish, for that matter.
Theres a reason for that. They often cover it up and deal with it within their judicial sysatem.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:37 PM

16,085 posts, read 23,937,560 times
They do make the news from time to time for crimes, its rare tho.

He was an ex-mennonite.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:16 AM

2,370 posts, read 4,506,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post

Thanks for the information. I'll have to read it.
Gregg Olson wrote a book called Abandoned Prayers about an Amish man who killed his wife by setting fire to their barn, then took off with their small son and later killed and left him out in a field somewhere. There's a whole lot more to the story.

Olson is an excellent writer. It was such a sad book.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:01 AM

7,112 posts, read 9,366,224 times
Another one, not up to Olsen's standards but also hard to put down, is by Jim Fisher, called Crimson Stain.

Old 10-08-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
Gregg Olson wrote a book called Abandoned Prayers about an Amish man who killed his wife by setting fire to their barn, then took off with their small son and later killed and left him out in a field somewhere. There's a whole lot more to the story.

Olson is an excellent writer. It was such a sad book.

AN EXCELLENT writter and book..................

Old 10-12-2011, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
They do make the news from time to time for crimes, its rare tho.

He was an ex-mennonite.
Is that an excuse? His spouse and him were still connected with the Lutheran Church, which the whole family attented regularly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime