U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-04-2011, 06:53 PM
 
Location: Ohio
13,900 posts, read 10,796,204 times
Reputation: 7242

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Um, it's interesting because it's a completely different concept to the US system.

Really? Italy is a different country from the US?

There isn't much more I can respond with that while truthful would probably violate the TOS with regards to your thinking. LOL.
Get offended much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-04-2011, 07:00 PM
 
28,206 posts, read 20,765,558 times
Reputation: 16599
Amanda's first words with the press after arriving home:

http://cnn.com/video/?/video/us/2011...ox-arrival.cnn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2011, 07:47 PM
 
17,004 posts, read 20,701,668 times
Reputation: 33994
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
There is a faction within this society that believed that Knox was innocent simply because they saw a picture of her, and noted that she is white, with blue eyes, and has such an attractive face. These are the same people who condemned OJ before his trial even began, utterly appalled at the possibility that a black man killed two white people, including an attractive blonde white woman. When Knox gets off, these people applaud. When OJ got off, they were outraged and angry. It is a shameful aspect of this country's continuing struggle with race, bigotry, the inequities caused by unearned privilege, and the double standard that negatively impacts perceptions about and treatment of black people.

When a verdict came down like the one today, a verdict that makes these racists happy, one can get the feeling that an enormous injustice has just occurred. One gets the impression that, were Amanda Knox a black American woman, there would not be such an outrage over her conviction or the initial assumption that she was innocent. The racial aspect is ever-present as is the double-standard.

Some years ago, a tragic murder occurred in Las Vegas, where a young white man followed a young black girl into the ladies room, then snapped her neck, instantly killing her. See link below. The young girl had been left to roam around the casino by her gambling and neglectful father where she found herself being pursued by this young white guy and his student friend from UC-Berkeley. The Berkeley student watched his friend follow the young girl into the restroom, even peeked in to hear him trying to sexually molest her in a bathroom stall before he snapped her neck. The Berkeley student did nothing to stop his friend from killing that girl or even pursuing the 7 year-old into the ladies room. Very tragic and disturbing circumstances that made both men two of the lowest form of human beings in history, not fit to live. Maybe a similar occurrence happened here where Knox and her boyfriend knew that Kercher was either being killed or likely to be killed. They did nothing to stop it, preferring instead to have sex and turn up the music to avoid hearing her screams and pleas for help. Knox gave a false alibi for reasons unknown. Who knows? One certainly doesn't have a legal obligation to step in, but still, it leaves a bitter taste about the possibility that Knox ignored her desperately pleading roommate as she was being killed by someone Knox knew was capable of doing it.

Jeremy Strohmeyer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I remain extremely skeptical of Amanda Knox and I certainly don't hold her in high regard. My thoughts remain with Kercher's family.

Really? Because I lived in Los Angeles during before, during, and after the whole OJ Simpson trial.

I saw idiots of all colors on the news standing on freeway overpasses cheering OJ on as Al Cowlings drove all him over the LA basin.

I also remember the black chairwoman making a statement "oh we knew he wasn't guilty before the trial"

I also remember being at work the day the verdict came in and a loud cheer came from our billing dept(which happened to be all black). A coworker turned to me and said "he got off".

What I found ironic was OJ Simpson never did a damn thing for the black community, he married a white woman, lived in a white area. Even though he attended USC(which is near South Central) he never went back down and gave back to the old neighborhood.

Yet many blacks only saw color, we all know he did it, and all they saw was color.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2011, 10:25 PM
 
Location: La lune et les étoiles
17,619 posts, read 19,058,450 times
Reputation: 18963
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Really? Because I lived in Los Angeles during before, during, and after the whole OJ Simpson trial.

I saw idiots of all colors on the news standing on freeway overpasses cheering OJ on as Al Cowlings drove all him over the LA basin.

I also remember the black chairwoman making a statement "oh we knew he wasn't guilty before the trial"

I also remember being at work the day the verdict came in and a loud cheer came from our billing dept(which happened to be all black). A coworker turned to me and said "he got off".

What I found ironic was OJ Simpson never did a damn thing for the black community, he married a white woman, lived in a white area. Even though he attended USC(which is near South Central) he never went back down and gave back to the old neighborhood.

Yet many blacks only saw color, we all know he did it, and all they saw was color.
Nope. I always thought that he was guilty but I also knew that as soon as Johnny Cochrane reminded the jury about how many White men got away with lynching Black men in the South that OJ would not be convicted. I never thought that it was "right" and I always knew that OJ would end up paying for his crime (even if it was under the guise for paying for another crime) My mother is mutual friends with a friend of OJ's 1st wife and Nicole Brown Simpson was definitely no saint, but she didn't deserve to die.

But back on topic, Amanda will evetually pay for her crimes, of that I am certain. However, welcoming her back like she's some sort of a war hero is so very grotesque.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2011, 12:07 AM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
14,330 posts, read 19,555,278 times
Reputation: 18436
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Really? Because I lived in Los Angeles during before, during, and after the whole OJ Simpson trial.

I saw idiots of all colors on the news standing on freeway overpasses cheering OJ on as Al Cowlings drove all him over the LA basin.

I also remember the black chairwoman making a statement "oh we knew he wasn't guilty before the trial"

I also remember being at work the day the verdict came in and a loud cheer came from our billing dept(which happened to be all black). A coworker turned to me and said "he got off".

What I found ironic was OJ Simpson never did a damn thing for the black community, he married a white woman, lived in a white area. Even though he attended USC(which is near South Central) he never went back down and gave back to the old neighborhood.

Yet many blacks only saw color, we all know he did it, and all they saw was color.
What you say is true. Many blacks assumed OJ was innocent despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Many whites felt he was guilty even before the trial started. Blacks can be excused however, given the shameful history of injustice that has been levied against them and the lack of consideration they are given in all matters. It certainly wouldn't have been the first time that a black man was wrongly charged and convicted of a crime in this country. LA in particular has a history of enormous ignorance, bigotry, and severe raciam against blacks. Given the pathetic history of this country that has overwhelmingly favored whites, giving them the greatest consideration as a matter of course no matter how atrocious the wrong, a special sense of outrage is reserved for someone like Knox. Like it or not. She represents yet another Vampira, who happens to be white with blue-eyes and a pretty face, who got away from some wrongdoing. The perception that her skin color and the continual shots of her face and eyes, swayed a segment of this country, and the media fervor allowed her to get away with murder. This fervor likely would not have happened were a black woman in similar circumstances. Understand the problem here. There is great outrage over this, among many foreigners and minority groups in this country.

I'm with some of the outraged Italians over this. Knox will forever remain a suspect as far as I'm concerned. Hard to believe that she is completely innocent of wrongdoing, after lying about her alibi. I believe the Italian authorities called it right the first time.
World Blog - Some Italians moved to anger by verdict
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2011, 12:39 AM
 
1,570 posts, read 1,739,841 times
Reputation: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
What you say is true. Many blacks assumed OJ was innocent despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Many whites felt he was guilty even before the trial started. Blacks can be excused however, given the shameful history of injustice that has been levied against them and the lack of consideration they are given in all matters. It certainly wouldn't have been the first time that a black man was wrongly charged and convicted of a crime in this country. LA in particular has a history of enormous ignorance, bigotry, and severe raciam against blacks. Given the pathetic history of this country that has overwhelmingly favored whites, giving them the greatest consideration as a matter of course no matter how atrocious the wrong, a special sense of outrage is reserved for someone like Knox. Like it or not. She represents yet another Vampira, who happens to be white with blue-eyes and a pretty face, who got away from some wrongdoing. The perception that her skin color and the continual shots of her face and eyes, swayed a segment of this country, and the media fervor allowed her to get away with murder. This fervor likely would not have happened were a black woman in similar circumstances. Understand the problem here. There is great outrage over this, among many foreigners and minority groups in this country.

I'm with some of the outraged Italians over this. Knox will forever remain a suspect as far as I'm concerned. Hard to believe that she is completely innocent of wrongdoing, after lying about her alibi. I believe the Italian authorities called it right the first time.
World Blog - Some Italians moved to anger by verdict
Yes, I think it's important that minorities who were discriminated against in the past be given a pass when it comes to racism - how else can we as a nation move forward and put racism behind us?

Every post of yours is a gem, dude.

Amanda Knox had the audacity to be born white, I'm with A_Lexus, toss her in jail and let's teach her a lesson!

Also, her trial occurred in Italy, I'm pretty sure the Italians (96% of whom are white) probably aren't as hung up on race as you are. If Italy's justice system is like ours, the burden of proof is beyond a reasonable doubt, not "ehhh, she's an entitled white b****, let's toss her in jail."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2011, 12:51 AM
 
Location: La lune et les étoiles
17,619 posts, read 19,058,450 times
Reputation: 18963
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
Yes, I think it's important that minorities who were discriminated against in the past be given a pass when it comes to racism - how else can we as a nation move forward and put racism behind us?

Every post of yours is a gem, dude.

Amanda Knox had the audacity to be born white, I'm with A_Lexus, toss her in jail and let's teach her a lesson!

Also, her trial occurred in Italy, I'm pretty sure the Italians (96% of whom are white) probably aren't as hung up on race as you are. If Italy's justice system is like ours, the burden of proof is beyond a reasonable doubt, not "ehhh, she's an entitled white b****, let's toss her in jail."
You've missed her point.

However, to get back on topic, had the Italian investigators done a better job in the beginning with securing and processing the crime scene, Amanda and her boyfriend probably would still be sitting in that Italian prison right now. That's the tragedy for the victim's family who seems to have been forgotten by all of the Amanda worshippers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2011, 12:58 AM
 
1,570 posts, read 1,739,841 times
Reputation: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
You've missed her point.

However, to get back on topic, had the Italian investigators done a better job in the beginning with securing and processing the crime scene, Amanda and her boyfriend probably would still be sitting in that Italian prison right now. That's the tragedy for the victim's family who seems to have been forgotten by all of the Amanda worshippers.
The point? The point is that apparently white people only think she's innocent because she's white. It's kind of silly. No one I know is really that invested in it, and many white people are split on the subject (just like Casey Anthony) - It's kind of silly for him to presuppose that any white person who thinks she's innocent thinks that because she's white and has blue eyes.

It says a bit more about A_Lexus' views on race than it does anyone else's. Especially since his posts strongly suggest that the Italians based their decision on her race... It was a white chick killing another white chick - what does race have to do with any of this?

It's in the news because it happened in Italy, not in Washington, and not because she's white. It's sad some people are so obsessed with race that they have to turn everything into a race issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2011, 04:49 AM
 
28,206 posts, read 20,765,558 times
Reputation: 16599
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
You've missed her point.

However, to get back on topic, had the Italian investigators done a better job in the beginning with securing and processing the crime scene, Amanda and her boyfriend probably would still be sitting in that Italian prison right now. That's the tragedy for the victim's family who seems to have been forgotten by all of the Amanda worshippers.
Ay yi yi.

I am not an Amanda worshipper nor are the people who actually know and care about her.

We simply believe that there really is little evidence pointing to Knox & Sollecito as the murderers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2011, 05:07 AM
 
17 posts, read 32,246 times
Reputation: 25
What is the status of Amanda Knox's Boyfriend is he still in jail?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top