U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 01:52 AM

4 posts, read 17,345 times

Advertisements

Hi, This Halloween, I wanted to dress up like a real CIA agent, I was gonna buy a shirt, hat that had the CIA symbol on it and maybe have a fake secret agent badge and ID made. Could I be arrested for wearing this stuff?? What if I walked into a public place and someone I didn't know asked me if i was cia, and I told them yes, is that illegal? I read somewhere that CIA isn't governed under the impersonating a law enforcement officer law, because they have no police authority? One last question, if I were to buy a Fake CIA agent license plate and put it on my truck, is this illegal? Just looking for someone to shed some light on this, I dont wanna end up in jail over a get-up. PS. You can buy all this stuff and more at this website.

NIC Law Enforcement Supply; Law Enforcement Supplies, Law Enforcement Equipment, Custom Badges, Id Cards, Law Enforcement Badges, Novelty Id, Law Enforcement Supply, Badge, Identification, Police Badges
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 06:35 PM

13,900 posts, read 10,783,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCguy17 View Post
Hi, This Halloween, I wanted to dress up like a real CIA agent, I was gonna buy a shirt, hat that had the CIA symbol on it and maybe have a fake secret agent badge and ID made. Could I be arrested for wearing this stuff?? What if I walked into a public place and someone I didn't know asked me if i was cia, and I told them yes, is that illegal? I read somewhere that CIA isn't governed under the impersonating a law enforcement officer law, because they have no police authority? One last question, if I were to buy a Fake CIA agent license plate and put it on my truck, is this illegal? Just looking for someone to shed some light on this, I dont wanna end up in jail over a get-up. PS. You can buy all this stuff and more at this website.

NIC Law Enforcement Supply; Law Enforcement Supplies, Law Enforcement Equipment, Custom Badges, Id Cards, Law Enforcement Badges, Novelty Id, Law Enforcement Supply, Badge, Identification, Police Badges
Are you serious?

Old 10-07-2011, 06:38 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,353,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Are you serious?
I wouldn't do it. This country is right out of control right now, and a harmless Halloween costume could backfire and get you in big trouble.

My advice would be to pick something else, just so you don't take any chances.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-07-2011, 06:52 PM

1,383 posts, read 2,270,885 times
If it's just for Halloween, I'd do it. But I'd get a badge that's intentionally fake with lines that read, "TOTALLY FAKE - NOT A REAL AGENT" or something along those lines. For a costume to look good it needs to look somewhat real, but not so cheesy-crappy-fake to the point that you don't even achieve the look that you're going for.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:21 PM

I dont think you could be arrested for simply LOOKING like and agent, especialy on haloween no less. Impersonating an agent means that you try and present yourself as having authority that an agent would. So long as you dont try an pull anyone over or do a strip search, I think you'll be fine.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:30 PM

804 posts, read 2,485,526 times
It all will depend on your actions. If you go into somewhere and pose as a 'agent' and act inappropriately then you would run the risk of being arrested for iimpersonating. That does not mean the charge will stick it court it just means an Officer will arrest you.

I am not sure why you would want to go and buy all that stuff for your vehicle unless you want people to think you are a cool CIA agent..If you really like them that much then try to get a job with them or a law enforcement agent.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:43 PM

For some people it's just a hobby. I know I always wanted handcuffs and a badge, that desire wore off when I was about 10 though

Old 10-09-2011, 11:10 AM

10,614 posts, read 13,143,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I dont think you could be arrested for simply LOOKING like and agent, especialy on haloween no less. Impersonating an agent means that you try and present yourself as having authority that an agent would. So long as you dont try an pull anyone over or do a strip search, I think you'll be fine.
Agreed. if you are at a party and not acting it out by emulating the authority of an agent, You will be fine.

Their probably monitoring this thread right now!

Old 10-10-2011, 12:49 PM

16,408 posts, read 28,886,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCguy17 View Post

I think you don't have anything to worry about because the REAL CIA is out there trying NOT to look like they ARE CIA, if you know what I mean.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:14 PM

12,282 posts, read 18,401,528 times
What exactly does a CIA agent look like? An american James Bond with a tuxedo and walther PPK in a soldier holster? Yeah the CIA impersonation is contradictory because a typical CIA "agent" should not be recognized.

This is all public perception brough on from the media anyways - a typical CIA agent drives a econobox and works in an office from 9 to 5, making a crappy G5 government salary. That is, they are just a bunch of buerocrats doing boring analysis work. The "James Bond/licensed to kill" CIA agent does not exist. The closest to the steriotypical agenst are field handlers - which means they pay others to gather information and do the dirty work.

Don't get the CIA badge and license plate - you will just look like a dweeb. But go for the James Bond look for a custome party. That might be cool. Chicks might dig it.

Last edited by Dd714; 10-10-2011 at 02:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or