U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 02:09 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,727,414 times

Advertisements

Anger, jealousy, rage, can drive some normal people to do an impulsive act. Maybe she has some sort of mental illness, or personality disorder, that combined with the events tipped her into doing this violent act. It does not provide an excuse for behaving in such a heinous manner though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 08:03 PM

16,085 posts, read 23,902,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
I think the woman was just plain evil even though I cannot logically comprehend how a sane person could harm a child.

Read 'People of the Lie' The Hope for Healing Human Evil, written by Scott Peck,MD.

The book was published in 1983, so, its been around for a long time.

His own case studies of patients during private practice, he determined them as evil, not mentally ill.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:38 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,306,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Read 'People of the Lie' The Hope for Healing Human Evil, written by Scott Peck,MD.

The book was published in 1983, so, its been around for a long time.

His own case studies of patients during private practice, he determined them as evil, not mentally ill.
I keep thinking of the young couple standing on the ground near the walkway and seeing this ... thinking it was a jacket or coat falling! I bet this has caused some restless nights.

I believe evil people do live and walk among us. They might be born that way something happening in the birth canal or something missing in their brain. I will have to look up that book my next trip to the library.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:45 AM

22,882 posts, read 19,312,220 times
Doesn't WVa have any other tv station besides 9, WUSA???

Old 01-07-2012, 12:22 PM

1 posts, read 720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latina7 View Post
The sad part of this tragedy is that sometimes family members do not want to accept the fact that a family member is mentally ill, because in our society having a mentally- ill member accrueds to defectiveness, and there is a tremendous taboo against it.

Mentally-ill people, with certain diagnoses, will hallucinate, and when a person hallucinates, he/she is under the command of evil voices within his/her brain telling them what to do............unfortunately, I am pretty sure that there were symptoms presented prior to this tragedy, that it could have been advertently, derrailed. It breaks my heart to read about it.
If a person is hearing voices, their mental illness is schitzophrenia. It rears its ugly head in the late teens or early twenties. Its an undeniable illness. If she suffered from this illness, her family, as well as everyone else around her knew there was a problem. My heart goes out to this child's family. The grandmother needs to stay in prison.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:49 AM

16,019 posts, read 19,693,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimintennessee View Post
If a person is hearing voices, their mental illness is schitzophrenia. It rears its ugly head in the late teens or early twenties. Its an undeniable illness. If she suffered from this illness, her family, as well as everyone else around her knew there was a problem. My heart goes out to this child's family. The grandmother needs to stay in prison.
I agree, horrific for all involved. That is the problem w/ our system that serves SMI folks. No longer are folks hospitalized and treated indefinitely like they were before the "de-institutionalization" movement decades ago. Seriously mentally ill folks are walking, working, living among us. We have to depend on our social service and health care providers and "their" willingness to take their meds. Pretty frightening.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:58 AM

18,852 posts, read 31,727,414 times
^^ I agree, back in the 60's this woman with schitzophrenia, almost killed her Mother, she was crazy, she was put away in an institution, which was best for everyone. She seemed "normal", strange and odd, but not "dangerous"...but the scary thing was she could "flip" into crazy in a nano second.

I wonder if now, they would have just said she needed treatment and meds...

Old 01-08-2012, 09:15 AM

16,019 posts, read 19,693,299 times
yep, the flip side of civil rights. Folks who need treatment have a right to refuse treatment and meds.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:02 AM

1 posts, read 675 times
Screw all of you bleeding heart idiots with your cries of mental illness. You didn't see her confession video so stop worrying about HER. That little girl is DEAD. This woman should get the death penalty. She's fortunate they are sparing her life for such a crime. It really infuriates me when I see so many people worried about the CRIMINAL and not concerned about JUSTICE for the victim. Very misplaced sympathies!!!

Don't give me "Oh but we're sad for the little girl too....." NOT SAD ENOUGH IN MY BOOK if you're talking about the poor poor grandmother WHO MURDERED HER.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:11 AM

4,904 posts, read 6,120,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdandy72 View Post
Screw all of you bleeding heart idiots with your cries of mental illness. You didn't see her confession video so stop worrying about HER. That little girl is DEAD. This woman should get the death penalty. She's fortunate they are sparing her life for such a crime. It really infuriates me when I see so many people worried about the CRIMINAL and not concerned about JUSTICE for the victim. Very misplaced sympathies!!!

Don't give me "Oh but we're sad for the little girl too....." NOT SAD ENOUGH IN MY BOOK if you're talking about the poor poor grandmother WHO MURDERED HER.
Wow. I applaud your passion but there are many human issues here and no one wants the person to go free. I think it is good to work through these things in our own minds sometimes. I am kind of like you and "screw" the perpetrator but your post is a little harsh.......JMO. I most always feel the same way about people who torture, abuse and murder children, automatic death penalty or LWOP. Having said that, I think Andrea Yates was truly insane and many people were to blame for that tragedy. She will be inhospital for the rest of life and she should be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or