U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2011, 07:15 PM

1,723 posts, read 3,378,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
I remember John Walsh even revealed to police that he was engaged in an extra-marital affair...you answer ANYTHING the police ask if your child is really missing!!

Police found out that Johns wife had an affair with the boys Godfather.

I remember that case. those poor parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 08:00 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,746,980 times
Well, I remember a case in Montana years ago, a young boy went missing on the way to school, single Mother, boyfriend, the police were convinced the child was killed by the Mom or BF. They basically did not investigate anything else, closed the case unsolved. Years go by, more missing boys, finally, they found a serial killer there. What is the police had looked beyond the family? Maybe the killer would have been found earlier, and lives saved. BTW, the police also said the family did not cooperate in that case...why would you, when you are basically the only target of the investigation?!

Not saying Baby Lisa's family is guilty or innocent, but I can understand their fear of the police. Sadly enough.

Old 10-30-2011, 12:38 AM

15,168 posts, read 13,447,206 times
We have all seen how attorneys will twist and turn statements to fit their agenda when they cross examine witnesses in court. Police officers are trained to do the same thing.

Even innocent people need to have an attorney present when questioned by police.

I have heard several former, high ranking, law enforcement officials say that innocent people are fools if they don't retain counsel on various television programs over the years.....and I tend to agree with them.

Unfortunately, some law enforcement officials are more concerned with closing the case than they are with finding the actual criminal.

A good example of this is when convicted prisoners are undeniably shown to be innocent because of DNA tests.......yet.......many of the LE officials involved in the conviction still adamantley refuse to admit they made a mistake.

If I had a child that was missing, or was a suspect in any crime.....I would cooperate fully with the police....but only with my attorney present.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:08 AM

28,206 posts, read 20,765,558 times
I totally understand fear of the police. In my area, many (not all) of the cops are rude, threatening and accusatory when you call for help.

As far as "the truth is the truth is the truth" is easy to say when you are (a) not under a horrific amount of stress and (b) not having cops trying to trip you up, hoping to catch you in a lie.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:28 AM

12,172 posts, read 15,465,369 times
It appears the parents are spending more time avoid investigators than helping them find their daughter. When do you think they will come out of hiding from their undisclosed location?

Old 10-30-2011, 11:04 AM

1,422 posts, read 4,639,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I totally understand fear of the police. In my area, many (not all) of the cops are rude, threatening and accusatory when you call for help.

As far as "the truth is the truth is the truth" is easy to say when you are (a) not under a horrific amount of stress and (b) not having cops trying to trip you up, hoping to catch you in a lie.
If my kid was missing, my horrific amount of stress would be due to that fact, and doing anything to find her would be goal #1. And as to "cops trying to trip you up, hoping to catch you in a lie", why would I worry about getting 'caught' if I was telling the truth? You can't catch someone in a lie if they are not lying.

I don't have police paranoia. I realize that some people inherently mistrust. But it would seem that concern for one's child would trump any worries one might have about oneself.

Their behaviors only make sense if they are hiding something.

Old 10-30-2011, 12:56 PM

13,943 posts, read 19,169,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
Bosco.. if I were the parent of a missing child.. wouldn't you agree that it would be in my best interest to answer thoroughly any questions that detectives had for me or to clear up any doubts they may have from previous interviews?
No, I would not agree. Maybe in principle, but in practice it's always best to lawyer up.

Quote:
If I'm innocent.. I wouldn't need to hide behind legal bs to keep me from talking to them as Deb and Jer have done. I'd want them to eliminate me as a suspect.
If I'm guilty, then sure, I'd want a lawyer to throw up as many roadblocks as he could to keep me from being reinterviewed again.
And many people with your attitude have suffered the consequences. Let's hope you never have to.

Quote:
We're not talking about the Beatrice Six.. we're talking about parents of a missing baby who've done nothing to help with the investigation, and can't seem to get their story straight. Parents who should be besides themselves with worry over whether or not their baby is warm, or fed, but instead, Mom goes and gets her hair colored, and the dad walks out of the police interview because he's tired.
I used the Beatrice Six as an example of people who thought "cooperating" with the police to prove their innocence was a good idea. They paid the price by spending a significant portion of their lives in prison for a crime they didn't commit. There are countless other examples I could cite as well.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:04 PM

13,943 posts, read 19,169,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
It appears the parents are spending more time avoid investigators than helping them find their daughter. When do you think they will come out of hiding from their undisclosed location?
The police likely have all the information they could need from the parents. Now it's about determining the guilt of the parents, so they made the smart move and got a lawyer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
And as to "cops trying to trip you up, hoping to catch you in a lie", why would I worry about getting 'caught' if I was telling the truth? You can't catch someone in a lie if they are not lying.
You've never heard of false confessions?

Old 10-30-2011, 01:24 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,746,980 times
I understand checking the family, it is when the police zero in on them, to the exclusion of other potential suspects, that I find that problematic. These people should cooperate, but saying they need to speak to the parents separately makes me think the police are manipulating, and I am with the parents on this. The family is cooperating, just not doing what the police want in terms of interrogation.

Old 10-30-2011, 02:07 PM

1,723 posts, read 3,378,953 times
Deb and Jer refuse to speak to detectives at all. They're not asking for their lawyer to be present which is their legal right.. They refuse to come in for questioning at all. At first Deb said she saw Lisa at 10:30 and the police questioned her based on that time line. Then she said that she saw Lisa at 6:40 so the detectives would need to re-question her about those 4 hours. But, she refuses to be reinterviewed, and she refuses to allow the boys to interviewed again even though SHE was the one who said the boys heard something that night.

Detectives should question the parents separately. How honest will they be with their spouse in the same room? If either one of them had an affair, they wouldn't admit in front of each other. What if the jilted lover was involved in the disappearance? Detectives need to eliminate any possible suspects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or