Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 12:40 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,605,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
I think child abuse investigaters are also overwhelmed with false reports of abuse....the kind made to get even with someone they are mad at for some reason. In my opinion, anyone who clearly is making a false report should be heavily fined, if not prosecuted.
I agree somewhat but what about the cases that are discounted before they ever get to investigation and then a child dies ? How about the cases where the parent is interviewed and there is no apparant cause for further involvement, case closed and then the child dies. They never interview the child outside of the presence of the caregiver, etc. I think if it can be proved, beyond a doubt, that it was a fabrication, it should be punishable....just how do you go about it, the way we are currently set up and the mishaps that ensue ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 01:10 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,720,704 times
Quote:
I think child abuse investigaters are also overwhelmed with false reports of abuse....the kind made to get even with someone they are mad at for some reason. In my opinion, anyone who clearly is making a false report should be heavily fined, if not prosecuted.

That's for sure. I used to work at Child Protective Services and 75% of the calls we got were USDA monkey sauce. If in doubt, they ALWAYS investigate, but the thing is, you have to have some evidence to go on. A typical scenario is that the incident being reported didn't come to light for a year and a half after it happened, and you can't even find the people any more. The other major, most typical, daily problem is that the kid only wants to tell someone who won't let the assailant know that the beans have been spilled. You have to worry constantly that investigating will make the child's situation go from bad to deadly. If the abusive parent gets wind of it, the kid could die before any usable evidence is collected. And the law is clear: you can't just whisk the kids away from their parents and ask questions later, no matter how dangerous that makes it for the victim to report.

The only real answer is to have a camera trained on every child, every second. Not that it helped that baby girl in China!

Old 10-21-2011, 03:45 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,862,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
I agree somewhat but what about the cases that are discounted before they ever get to investigation and then a child dies ? How about the cases where the parent is interviewed and there is no apparant cause for further involvement, case closed and then the child dies. They never interview the child outside of the presence of the caregiver, etc. I think if it can be proved, beyond a doubt, that it was a fabrication, it should be punishable....just how do you go about it, the way we are currently set up and the mishaps that ensue ?
In Alaska, they do question the child even before the parents know they were reported. But I'm talking about super obvious cases of people making false reports, such as one that happened to me. A mentally ill bullyish co-worker reported that my sewage was backed up in my house, that we had no food and that I left them alone with no day care when I was at work. It was very easy to disprove that, but my co-worker was snickering amongst her "friends" at work over that for months. It was common knowledge there that she made a false report just because our new boss liked some of my ideas. Or when a school principal called to report that my daughter ate a poptart for breakfast. Or when someone called once a week to report that I had no food when my cupboards were stuffed with healthy food each time.

Old 10-21-2011, 04:20 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,497,719 times
Quote:
In Alaska, they do question the child even before the parents know they were reported. But I'm talking about super obvious cases of people making false reports, such as one that happened to me. A mentally ill bullyish co-worker reported that my sewage was backed up in my house, that we had no food and that I left them alone with no day care when I was at work. It was very easy to disprove that, but my co-worker was snickering amongst her "friends" at work over that for months. It was common knowledge there that she made a false report just because our new boss liked some of my ideas. Or when a school principal called to report that my daughter ate a poptart for breakfast. Or when someone called once a week to report that I had no food when my cupboards were stuffed with healthy food each time.
The sad part is while workers are wasting time following up on erroneous reports, theres a child out there with a real need.

I put it in the same category as making a false police report and should be prosecuted.

Sorry this happened to you.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:02 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,027,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
................ I know the Bible says "spare the rod..." but I think some people take it too extremes. Children are smarter than animals, and who would hit a dog or cat to control it? Yet there are people who believe violence is an effective way to control small children. They should be sterilized IMO...but that's got issues of its own...
I enjoyed reading your post kk.

About the 'spare the rod' Biblical part....rods were used as measuring sticks. (Rev 11:1)
The rod we are supposed to be using on our children is expectation of measuring up...not to beat them with it.
Not once in the Bible does it speak of anyone beating their kids into some sort of submission. I'm not opposed to spanking at all, but I do believe people have misunderstood that verse for centuries and used it as an excuse to be cruel.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:26 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,942,740 times
A global epidemic:

In 2009 1,676 child fatalities due to abuse/neglect were reported in the United States. 75.8% of those deaths were caused by one or more parents.

In 2009 England/Wales reported 52 child homicides (under 16) - 56% of those deaths were caused by one or both parents.

On both sides of the pond children under one year old are substantially more at risk than any other age demographic with under 4's being the 2nd highest.

These figures are considered grossly underestimated.

(Sources: NCANDS, NSPCC, USDOJ)

Old 10-26-2011, 06:53 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,942,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I enjoyed reading your post kk.

About the 'spare the rod' Biblical part....rods were used as measuring sticks. (Rev 11:1)
The rod we are supposed to be using on our children is expectation of measuring up...not to beat them with it.
Not once in the Bible does it speak of anyone beating their kids into some sort of submission. I'm not opposed to spanking at all, but I do believe people have misunderstood that verse for centuries and used it as an excuse to be cruel.
Two weeks ago at one of our local middle schools a substitute teacher slapped a 13 year old student in the face. She told him to throw his pen in the trash as he was coming up front she then told him to get back in his desk. He continued forward to throw the pen in the trash. She admitted she had become angry and slapped the student with an open hand. They arrested her and charged her with simple assault and battery. The school nurse reported there was some swelling on the boy's face.

No one deserves to be slapped in the face. I raised three and they were disciplined but never slapped in the face. I have never been slapped in the face either!!

Then I came upon this article ... this lady is a professional, a doctor employed with the CDC in Atlanta. We have so much evil in our world now.

CDC official accused of child molestation, bestiality - CNN.com

Old 10-26-2011, 08:59 AM

18,837 posts, read 37,281,021 times
WFSU: Florida's child protection laws come under scrutiny (2011-09-23)

This is an interesting article, that discusses changing laws in Florida, in light of CA not reporting her child missing for a month, and the role of CPS in child death cases, most recently, Nubia Barahona.

Nubia's case is heartbreaking, because SO many people reported problems, and suspicious things. And on the day of the report to CPS, the worker went there, the "mother" told the CPS worker the child was out...at that time, the worker should have called the police, and demanded that the child be produced. Instead, the worker just left, taking the word of a monster child abuser. Nubia was found dead later, with her brother close to death.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:28 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,605,504 times
I don't believe anything will change. They will say there isn't enough money, etc...and how many times have we had shake ups when a child dies horribly and pretty soon, it's business as usual. That doesn't just apply to Florida. It's all over. I know we can't save them all but we have to find a better way. No one deserves to die but, the way some of these children are treated, the horrible torture and abuse, death becomes a blessing. My heart aches for them.

Old 10-26-2011, 12:54 PM

14,375 posts, read 14,203,333 times
Quote:
I don't believe anything will change. They will say there isn't enough money, etc...and how many times have we had shake ups when a child dies horribly and pretty soon, it's business as usual. That doesn't just apply to Florida. It's all over. I know we can't save them all but we have to find a better way. No one deserves to die but, the way some of these children are treated, the horrible torture and abuse, death becomes a blessing. My heart aches for them.
My heart aches for them too and I agree with most of what you say. I, too, would like to find a better way.

At the same time, when I consider how things work here in the USA, I'm not shocked by the results we get. This is the situation as things currently stand in the USA:

1. We make termination of parental rights of neglectful and abusive parents very difficult. It requires a whole lot of proof. In most cases, termination can't even be considered until natural parents are given several opportunities to fix what is wrong in their household. We do this because of U.S. Supreme Court decisions. There are parents serving long sentences in jail who truly should not be parents. Yet, their parental rights will not be terminated. Also, many of us "frown" on adoption and believe that families should be kept together even when they are downright dangerous and dysfunctional.

2. Its difficult in many states to even temporarily remove children from a home. Along with this we have a shortage of foster homes in many states, primarily because we refuse to pay people enough to raise children and give them adequate resources in terms of counseling and medical care to deal with the issues the children under their care face.

3. We allocate a pittance of tax revenue to fund agencies like CPS while at the same time we spend billions and billions of dollars on Defense, Social Security, and Medicare. Our priorities are the elderly, not the young.

4. We give parents extraordinary power. In many states, bad parents can keep their children away from the authorities by claiming that they are "home schooling" them. In some states, the law requires that parents do virtually nothing to prove that they are actually educating their kids. In other words, no state supervision at all. In many states, parents can refuse to take their kids in for a vaccination, or take other action which might call abuse or neglect to the attention of authorities.

5. We complain constantly about how high are taxes are and not only oppose increases, but I bet many people right on this forum are supporting Rick Perry, Ron Paul, or Herman Cain because they think those candidates will lower their taxes.

6. We allow cities to lay off police officers and CPS workers when they face budget difficulties. We allow schools to lay off counselors and nurses when property tax collections drop. Instead, we ought to be delaying road construction and repairs, place a moratorium on building new government buildings, and cutting the salaries of top administrators who have little day-to-day contact with the public.

We say that "we care about children" and we are either (1) ignorant; or (2) liars.

I wish we really did care about children as a society. The facts tell me something very different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime