U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 01:41 PM

3,399 posts, read 3,960,584 times

Advertisements

That is if his appeals are thrown out. For those of you who don't know who he is, google his name and you will find out.

In 1989, in Florida, he killed an Ohio mother and her 2 teen daughters who were on vacation, by offering them a ride on his boat. He sexually assaulted them, duct taped their mouths, tied them individually to cement blocks, and threw them all overboard into the water, presumably while still alive.

A similar case 1n the '90's was the case of the Yosemite murders of a mother, her teen daughter and her daughter's friend, vacationing from California, I believe. Cory Stanger was a maintenance man who abducted the three, killing the mother and the friend and abandoning them in the trunk of their car, and taking the daughter separately, raping and killing her. He also killed a female park employee several days later. He is the brother of Steven Stanger, the 7 yr. old who was abducted and raised by a man, who also sexually abused him. Steven escaped as a teen, and was later killed in a car accident at the age of 24. A TV movie was made about this case, titled "I Know My Name is Steven".

Both of these cases have always stayed with me, so cruel, so heinous. And sadly, each generation that comes along has their own heinous crimes happen. Caylee Anthony will be unknown to the new generations in years to come, as Jon-Benet Ramsey is pretty much already. It will be 15 YEARS since her murder. Where are the cold case detectives for this one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 04:45 PM

9,911 posts, read 9,298,562 times
Twenty two years later it seems in all that time he would be out of appeals.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:50 AM

13,819 posts, read 18,771,405 times
I hope they do execute him I mean come on he is a pedofile and a serial killer time to do the right thing and get rid of him . I will never understand why we allow serial killers and others to stay on death row for several years and then waist our money supporting them . Im tired of it .

Old 10-24-2011, 09:13 AM

18,852 posts, read 31,694,472 times
I agree with that^^^ Death penalty, one appeal, then off with your head, or whatever the current mode of death is. Straight to the chair...Why are we paying for Scott Peterson to sit around and watch tv all day?! And those defendents in Connecticut, there is no doubt of their guilt, with DNA, eye witness by the Father...time for them to be gone from the earth.

Why would a Mother get on a boat with a stranger? With her children? Because these criminals are masters at manipulation, and charm...scary! Sociopaths are devils with masks.

That Yosemite attack has scared me, I really don't even want to go camping ever again...

Old 10-24-2011, 10:46 AM

51,862 posts, read 41,758,040 times
As long as it's an airtight case and not some weak "eye witness" type stuff then I'm all for the DP.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:15 PM

9,181 posts, read 9,263,338 times
Quote:
I agree with that^^^ Death penalty, one appeal, then off with your head, or whatever the current mode of death is. Straight to the chair...Why are we paying for Scott Peterson to sit around and watch tv all day?! And those defendents in Connecticut, there is no doubt of their guilt, with DNA, eye witness by the Father...time for them to be gone from the earth.

Why would a Mother get on a boat with a stranger? With her children? Because these criminals are masters at manipulation, and charm...scary! Sociopaths are devils with masks.

That Yosemite attack has scared me, I really don't even want to go camping ever again...
This is certainly one of the worst crimes that I've heard of. I have no objection to someone like this receiving the death penalty.

What I object to is the simplistic attitude about appeals that is expressed by yourself and by many others. For starters, we can't just limit convicted murderers to one appeal because the US Supreme Court says that we can't.

Implicit in the Fourteenth Amendment to the US Constitution which provides that states must give all persons a right to "the due process of law" is the right to a full appellate review of a decision resulting in a death sentence. That appellate review works as follows:

1. The person convicted is entitled to appeal to the highest court of his/her state;

2. If that appeal is denied, the individual may petition the United States Supreme Court to hear their case (most such petitions are denied);

3. The individual may than seek state habeas corpus review of his conviction by filing an action for habeas corpus in trial court in which he was convicted;

4. If the trial court denies the habeas corpus petition than the individual may seek review of the denial from the highest court in his/her state;

5. If the highest court in his state denies his petition for habeas corpus the individual may petition for review of that writ with the United States Supreme Court (most such petitions are denied);

6. The individual still has a right to seek federal habeas corpus review of his conviction by filing a petition seeking a writ of habeas corpus from the federal district court in his state.

7. If the federal district court denies the petition for a writ of habeas corpus the individual may appeal to the United States Court of Appeals in his circuit for review.

8. If the United States Circuit Court of Appeals denies the appeal for a writ of habeas corpus, the individual may petition the US Supreme Court for review (most such petitions are denied);

9. Finally, virtually every state has some process where a convicted individual may seek clemency from either the state governor or a state board of pardons and paroles.

When all these steps are completed, the review process is complete in a capital case and the individual may be executed.

Why is this process so long and cumbersome? Because a number of provably innocent people have ended up on death row from Illinois, Oklahoma and other places. Is the price of a rapid death penalty worth the cost of executing innocent people? Now, imagine you or a family member are the innocent person on death row. Does this change your thinking in any way? It may well be there was never any real issue as to the guilt of Mr. Chandler and some other criminals. However, where do you draw the line? Who draws the line? The provisions are not in the law to protect Chandler. The provisions are in the law to protect the innocent people who will be falsely accused and convicted at some point.

Anyway, that's why we have this long drawn out appeals process. This has been explained before. I suppose I would have more sympathy for those advocating the "quick review" process if the person: (1) was not in custody and not going anywhere; and (2) if mistakes never happened; and (3) executing the offender would bring the victims back to life.

Much opposition to the death penalty is founded on the fact that it is more costly to execute someone (considering this appeals process) than it would be to incarcerate them for life. Frankly, when one considers that many states do have "life without parole" as an option, the public may be better served by these laws than the death penalty.

Sadly, I have concluded that most of the discussion that occurs here is very emotionally driven and even irresponsible. In fact, what I read here often shows extreme ignorance of the law and procedure. Yet, the people who post it believe their opinion to be of great weight or significance. I wish there was more of an attempt here to read something about law and legal rights rather than focus on the drama of individual crimes. Terrible things happen in the world. Terrible things will always happen. Our challenge as a people and a society is to find a way to deal with violent even heinous offenders without victimizing (killing) innocent people in the process.

If you can get away from the drama of this individual crime you might read the link below.

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/inno...s-2004-present

Last edited by markg91359; 10-24-2011 at 01:38 PM..

Old 10-24-2011, 04:19 PM

13,819 posts, read 18,771,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
This is certainly one of the worst crimes that I've heard of. I have no objection to someone like this receiving the death penalty.

What I object to is the simplistic attitude about appeals that is expressed by yourself and by many others. For starters, we can't just limit convicted murderers to one appeal because the US Supreme Court says that we can't.

Implicit in the Fourteenth Amendment to the US Constitution which provides that states must give all persons a right to "the due process of law" is the right to a full appellate review of a decision resulting in a death sentence. That appellate review works as follows:

1. The person convicted is entitled to appeal to the highest court of his/her state;

2. If that appeal is denied, the individual may petition the United States Supreme Court to hear their case (most such petitions are denied);

3. The individual may than seek state habeas corpus review of his conviction by filing an action for habeas corpus in trial court in which he was convicted;

4. If the trial court denies the habeas corpus petition than the individual may seek review of the denial from the highest court in his/her state;

5. If the highest court in his state denies his petition for habeas corpus the individual may petition for review of that writ with the United States Supreme Court (most such petitions are denied);

6. The individual still has a right to seek federal habeas corpus review of his conviction by filing a petition seeking a writ of habeas corpus from the federal district court in his state.

7. If the federal district court denies the petition for a writ of habeas corpus the individual may appeal to the United States Court of Appeals in his circuit for review.

8. If the United States Circuit Court of Appeals denies the appeal for a writ of habeas corpus, the individual may petition the US Supreme Court for review (most such petitions are denied);

9. Finally, virtually every state has some process where a convicted individual may seek clemency from either the state governor or a state board of pardons and paroles.

When all these steps are completed, the review process is complete in a capital case and the individual may be executed.

Why is this process so long and cumbersome? Because a number of provably innocent people have ended up on death row from Illinois, Oklahoma and other places. Is the price of a rapid death penalty worth the cost of executing innocent people? Now, imagine you or a family member are the innocent person on death row. Does this change your thinking in any way? It may well be there was never any real issue as to the guilt of Mr. Chandler and some other criminals. However, where do you draw the line? Who draws the line? The provisions are not in the law to protect Chandler. The provisions are in the law to protect the innocent people who will be falsely accused and convicted at some point.

Anyway, that's why we have this long drawn out appeals process. This has been explained before. I suppose I would have more sympathy for those advocating the "quick review" process if the person: (1) was not in custody and not going anywhere; and (2) if mistakes never happened; and (3) executing the offender would bring the victims back to life.

Much opposition to the death penalty is founded on the fact that it is more costly to execute someone (considering this appeals process) than it would be to incarcerate them for life. Frankly, when one considers that many states do have "life without parole" as an option, the public may be better served by these laws than the death penalty.

Sadly, I have concluded that most of the discussion that occurs here is very emotionally driven and even irresponsible. In fact, what I read here often shows extreme ignorance of the law and procedure. Yet, the people who post it believe their opinion to be of great weight or significance. I wish there was more of an attempt here to read something about law and legal rights rather than focus on the drama of individual crimes. Terrible things happen in the world. Terrible things will always happen. Our challenge as a people and a society is to find a way to deal with violent even heinous offenders without victimizing (killing) innocent people in the process.

If you can get away from the drama of this individual crime you might read the link below.

Innocence Cases: 2004 - Present | Death Penalty Information Center

If they want to appeal that is fine , but not on my dime !!! You must have a relative on death row or you are a lawyer with the ACLU !!! Im tired of my taxes paying for people like this . Im tired of not being able to get health care because my taxes are going to programs like the prison system .

Old 10-25-2011, 09:56 AM

21,318 posts, read 21,867,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
If they want to appeal that is fine , but not on my dime !!! You must have a relative on death row or you are a lawyer with the ACLU !!! Im tired of my taxes paying for people like this . Im tired of not being able to get health care because my taxes are going to programs like the prison system .
yeah! what's with all the legal constitutional mumbo jumbo? and if innocent poor people don't want to get sentenced for crimes they didn't commit, than they can blame their parents for not being rich so they can afford the justice they presumably need.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:55 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,114,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
No, not true. He is the result of his training, education and beliefs.

I have come to rethink the death penalty, as I have mentioned before on these threads. I shudder to think of the innocent who has been put to death for crimes they did not commit. I would not want that for anyone. I agree the appeals process is too long but I don't know how to shorten it. And, I hear you about the insurance thing. Been there, done that and still paying on the medical bills.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:22 AM

18,852 posts, read 31,694,472 times
I still say, just one appeal. That is it. Done deal. "You are a POS". Fry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime