U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 06:11 PM

13,900 posts, read 10,780,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
The problem with that logic is that it cuts both ways. That social pressure could sway a jury to convict someone who is universally despised, or acquit someone who is well liked by the public. I know you said it would pressure them into not making hasty decisions, but that's just not reality. Take this case for instance. People were going to flip the **** out over that verdict whether it took 10 hours or 10 days to reach it. The crazy, moronic mob mentality is simply not going to draw that distinction.

This is why I agree with Mark's post from earlier. These jury lists should be kept sealed for every single case. There is absolutely no valid reason for the public to have that information.
You are right, it does cut both ways. I thought of that after I posted it.

What you are decribing is already happening though. Look at OJ simpson, we all know he was acquitted because of his "celebrity" status. Or look at Micheal Jackson, also acquitted more than likely because he was a celebrity figure. { not to speak ill will of the dead but....... }

As I said, I think the entire system needs a re-vamp, but you are always going to have flaws as long as there are humans involved I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Thanks for re-thinking my post.

Two wrongs don't make a right? That works for a sandbox squabble in kindergarten, not so much here.
What I took from this post........

Quote:
A few of us have already given the reason and you agreed, its too soon.

Casey Anthony is privileged, but these jurors are not?
was that CA is privileged, so why not the jurors? Now If I misinterpreted that ok but I dont know how. So what I am saying is, two wrongs don't make a right! Casy A. may well be getting special treatment, but that doesn't mean it should somehow spill over to the jurors either. They would both be wrong.

Quote:
Once again, I've never seen a poster quote specific words and take them totally out of context quite the way you do....amazing gift you have there.
maybe you could tell me exactly what you are talking about. How did I take your words out of context?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 07:31 PM

16,085 posts, read 23,879,978 times
Casey Anthony has been granted special considerations by the Florida court as a result of massive coverage, an outrage of anger at a not guilty verdict directed not only at CA, but the jury of people who acquitted her too.

The court should have extended the same to jurors by protecting their identities.

Is that spelled out plain enough?

Old 10-29-2011, 08:15 PM

13,900 posts, read 10,780,216 times
Quote:
Casey Anthony has been granted special considerations by the Florida court as a result of massive coverage, an outrage of anger at a not guilty verdict directed not only at CA, but the jury of people who acquitted her too.

The court should have extended the same to jurors by protecting their identities.

Is that spelled out plain enough?
you have real anger issues virgode......

Thats not what I asked of you, I asked you to explain how Ive taken your words out of context???

so please for the love of God, read before you submit a reply!!!

Old 10-29-2011, 09:56 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,698,893 times
I am glad I don't know any of these jurors personally, like a neighbor, or co worker, or family member, because I am sure every time I would see him or her, I would just shake my head in absolute disbelief.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:22 PM

15,158 posts, read 13,418,020 times
Celebrity cases are few and far between......but cases where you may be called upon to convict a gang member are rampant and in every single part of the country.

Where I actually live there is no gang violence........but the city I would be called to serve in has plenty.

Why would I vote to convict a gang member now that I know that they will have full access to my name?

Why should I put myself and my family in danger of being killed in a drive by shooting at my very own home? What about people who have kids that stand out at the road at the same time every morning, waiting for the school bus? They would be easy pickings for pissed off gang members. Just drive by, bang, bang....your kid is dead.....all because you voted to put a gang member in jail.

I am all for doing my civic duty.....but I am not going to put my life on the line to do it.

If our justice system wants people to serve jury duty......they need to step up and change the laws.....they need to protect jurors identities, first and foremost.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:11 PM

Point well taken^^, but FOIA means it is public information. That won't change. Nor should it, transparency is part of democracy.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Point well taken^^, but FOIA means it is public information. That won't change. Nor should it, transparency is part of democracy.
In this instance, an exception needs to be made if this country wants to prevent our present jury system from disintigrating, IMO.

Juries are going to become more and more tainted as people realize just what is at stake when they become a member of a jury.

Guilt or innocence is no longer going to be the sole reason behind which way a juror votes.....and that is much more dangerous than not releasing the juror's names.

Exactly how has society benefitted by knowing the names of the jurors in the CA trial other than to make it easy for the lunatic fringe to zero in on their targets?

I see this as becoming a much bigger problem, and eventually, something is going to have to be done about it.

Old 10-30-2011, 12:10 AM

Well, hopefully people have more productive things to do than stalk CA jurors. And heaven forbid anyone from being a zealot and making an example out of these people. But it would be a situation like that to create change, we are a reactive society, not proactive.

Old 10-30-2011, 12:45 AM

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Well, hopefully people have more productive things to do than stalk CA jurors. And heaven forbid anyone from being a zealot and making an example out of these people. But it would be a situation like that to create change, we are a reactive society, not proactive.[/quote]
You are sure right about that. A few high profile jurors are going to have to be seriously hurt or killed before something is done about it.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:01 AM

16,085 posts, read 23,879,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
you have real anger issues virgode......

Thats not what I asked of you, I asked you to explain how Ive taken your words out of context???

so please for the love of God, read before you submit a reply!!!
Are you kidding me? We've been thru this "oh nevermind I see what you are saying.

No anger issue here...somethings got to wake you up.

Do me a favor...put me on your ignore list and don't reply to my posts and I'll do then same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime