U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 08:46 AM

1,567 posts, read 2,085,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Anyone hear about this? There is a book that says that God wants parents to beat their kids with plumbing line.

This book is read by many fundamentalist Christians. It has been misinterpreted enough that this book and it's teachings have resulted in the death of not one but several children. All adopted from Africa. What is wrong here?
Any religion with the word fundamentalist in front of it is typically practiced by............ dare I say backwards people.
There needs to be more intense psycological evaluations done by these adoption agencies before they let these relgious wackjobs bring a child into there home as most of them are pretty upfront about the nonsense they believe in.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:37 AM

52,055 posts, read 41,872,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
There are many children killed by their "parents" where NO religious affiliation is involved.
It's newsworthy when some crazy Fundies do something heinous....as it's not all the common.

Meanwhile, you have thousands of other non-fundy cases.

Bryan And Tonya Ricks Sentenced For Starving Teenage Son And Depriving Him Of Medical Attention

Old 10-27-2011, 04:16 PM

13,900 posts, read 10,800,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
There are many children killed by their "parents" where NO religious affiliation is involved.
Very true, but that isn't what the thread is about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
It's newsworthy when some crazy Fundies do something heinous....as it's not all the common.
It's a lot more common than you may think.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:37 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,756,753 times
One girl died in Utah, of drinking too much water. She was only four years old. Apparently her adopted Mother forced her to drink glasses of water when she "misbehaved".

These people don't have a clue. Maybe this child had a disability, or the Mother expected behavior not appropriate for a child.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:47 PM

18,678 posts, read 23,289,071 times
I think it's chilling also.His "information" was gleaned from the way that the Amish train their animals.I happen to not agree with that either, but that's another topic.

These people expect blind obedience out of their children. I think Michael Pearl and his wife are sadistic creeps. Unfortunately, my in laws are of this ilk, and having dinner with them once a few years back was an ordeal that I never want to replete. My husband's brother in law and sister, corrected these children constantly through out the meal, so much so that a normal conversation was impossible, and it was down right rude.
Every time one of these poor kids spoke a bit too loud, put a fork in the wrong place, or spilled a bit of water, this bully of a man was threatening then with a "rear end adjustment".
The terror in those children's eyes was horrible. Fortunately they are now all out of the house, in college or married, but I am certain that they have problems.

There absolutely is a correlation between extreme fundamentalist Christianity and child abuse and murder. So many of the most horrible child abuse cases involve members of these groups that take certain verses of the bible a bit too seriously, and augment it with "parenting" books that emphasize total obedience, and promote corporal punishment.

I am not surprised that Pearl was evasive when direct questions about corporal punishment were posed. Laws about what is and is not acceptable vary - not only state by state, but according to the whims of the worker who investigates. I am sure that he as a good lawyer who has advised him to avoid such questions.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:08 PM

I remember watching a show about parents who believed in spanking their kids, and they were very strict. On the show, it seemed like every five minutes the kids were being spanked, and there was crying and carrying on. I honestly don't know how these people can stand to abuse kids, who can stand all the crying? I never hit my kids. If they misbehaved, they could go to their room. I never really had excessive demands, just act normal. I don't understand what is going on in these people's heads...

Old 11-03-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
You mean this is like a published child-abuse manual?
Actually there are several. The one I reference is "Train Up a Child" by Pearls

Old 11-03-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Very true, but that isn't what the thread is about.

It's a lot more common than you may think.

Thanks whippersnaper. No the thread is about a subject that some people just do not want to address. The high corelation between child abuse and aggressive corperal punisment, some of which leads to death, and people who have backgrounds in authoritarian, fundamentalist Christian sects.

Every time that I attempt to point this painfully obvious facy out on CD, people take offence and or the thread is hi-jacked.

My background is in Sociology and US demographic trends. As such, I know a bit about this subject.

The fastest growing churches in America are of the Christian fundamentalist variety.

They open up huge mega churches. Full service compounds complete with evey thing from counselig services, child care, schools, state of the art gyms, "dynamic" i.e. not boring services aimed at the post literate world, support groups for stay at home moms, singles groups, travel opertunities, mixed with modern up-beat music.

They interlace all of this with their extreme right wing agenda.

One of the things they believe in is submissive woman.
Another is submissive children.

They are huge advicates of corporal punishment,

Just to head this off before the onslaught begins, I am a Christian and a member of a main stream Protestant denomination. I am very active in my church. My whole family is, including my teenaged children.

Old 11-03-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Kim View Post
It would be mighty white of you to post a link.
"mighty white" of me? What Klavern did you drag that phrase out of?

Old 11-03-2011, 04:20 PM

Please be nice to everyone. Rules, and all that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or