U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 04:57 PM

13,900 posts, read 10,802,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
The fastest growing churches in America are of theChristian fundamentalist variety.
A scary notion indeed.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:36 PM

18,678 posts, read 23,294,081 times
Very scary and true, unfortunatly.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Please be nice to everyone. Rules, and all that...
Isn't the phrase "mighty white" offensive and racist?

If I am not mistaken, it means "very good of you", the implication being, that "white" the Caucasian race is good, and the others are not.

I am pretty sure that it's an archaic phrase that would not even be permited on TV or Radio. Sorn of like "I can do what ever I want! I'm free, white and twenty one"

I was not being rude. It's kind of a horrible phrase.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:48 PM

22,799 posts, read 16,868,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Micheal Pearl was interviewed on CNN last night. I found it chilling that he compared a child to a mule or "animal". He seemed to skirt around questions of corporal punishment, but it seemed obvious that he wanted control, no matter what. The problem is that these people don't look at the developmental stages of a child, and may be requiring "adult" skills, in terms of obedience, that are beyond the capacity of a child. Scary.
Scary, yes.

Happens far too often, more than we possibly know? Incredibly unfortunately.

While some parents are way too lenient on their children, there are many parents out there who expect their children to act like little adults and when those children do not, the children pay.

Many years ago I was in a store getting some food. I was walking down an aisle behind a child of about 12 or so and his mother. I did not see the child acting up in any particular way but apparently something he did irked his mother.

She said, "Stop acting like a child and act like a human being."

The child responded, "But I am a child."

I stood staring at her with my jaw scraping the floor because she viewed a child as less than a human being. But I was also impressed with the kid stating, "Hey, lady, I AM a kid, back off!"

Old 11-03-2011, 06:53 PM

22,799 posts, read 16,868,958 times
Quote:
Isn't the phrase "mighty white" offensive and racist?

If I am not mistaken, it means "very good of you", the implication being, that "white" the Caucasian race is good, and the others are not.

I am pretty sure that it's an archaic phrase that would not even be permited on TV or Radio. Sorn of like "I can do what ever I want! I'm free, white and twenty one"

I was not being rude. It's kind of a horrible phrase.
I will only say to this that it's become a commonly used expression that yes, is a little snarky but is not implying what you wrote it's implying.

And now I'm bowing out of that because I realllly do not want to be drawn in to a further discussion about it.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:27 PM

17,004 posts, read 20,712,743 times
Quote:
I think it's chilling also.His "information" was gleaned from the way that the Amish train their animals.I happen to not agree with that either, but that's another topic.

These people expect blind obedience out of their children. I think Michael Pearl and his wife are sadistic creeps. Unfortunately, my in laws are of this ilk, and having dinner with them once a few years back was an ordeal that I never want to replete. My husband's brother in law and sister, corrected these children constantly through out the meal, so much so that a normal conversation was impossible, and it was down right rude.
Every time one of these poor kids spoke a bit too loud, put a fork in the wrong place, or spilled a bit of water, this bully of a man was threatening then with a "rear end adjustment".
The terror in those children's eyes was horrible. Fortunately they are now all out of the house, in college or married, but I am certain that they have problems.

There absolutely is a correlation between extreme fundamentalist Christianity and child abuse and murder. So many of the most horrible child abuse cases involve members of these groups that take certain verses of the bible a bit too seriously, and augment it with "parenting" books that emphasize total obedience, and promote corporal punishment.

I am not surprised that Pearl was evasive when direct questions about corporal punishment were posed. Laws about what is and is not acceptable vary - not only state by state, but according to the whims of the worker who investigates. I am sure that he as a good lawyer who has advised him to avoid such questions.
I would be embarrassed to post what you witnessed and did nothing about it. Even if you made an anonymous phone call to child services in your state. Just to get an evaluation done.

I think I would found a way to get one of those kids aside and asked some questions.

I don't get how you could see "terror" in children's eyes and not doing anything.

They used to run a great ad in CA on TV regarding domestic abuse.

You see a couple laying in bed reading and they can hear the apt above them where the husband is beating the wife. They look at each other but do nothing.

Then the screen goes black and it says "It is your business".

It sounded like those kids needed help.

Shame on you for not doing more.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:41 PM

Well Sean save your embarrasment because I did do smething about it. I have nothing to feel ashamed of. I called the people in their home state.

Shame on YOU for assuming. I don't care that they are related by marrraige. The children are children.

I am not a big "flesh and blood" person. The kids I reference are related to my children, by blood except to those who were adopted.

Why are you judging me? I am SO not afraid of creating waves.

I have called the authorities more than a few times in my life, and in fact, I am the author of a post directing people how to make their reports heard.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:52 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,761,566 times
At this point, this discussion is off the original topic. Thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or