Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 07:31 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times

Advertisements

Interesting interview on HLN, the Grandmother and the Mother's sister were on, saying they want the truth, even if it is her own sister. A cousin states she saw marks on Jhessey--why didn't she tell anyone or report the abuse?

Sounds to me like even the family thinks the Mom is guilty. Apparently the Mom went to the store, left Jhessey home alone, came home, she was missing.

They are making a point that no one cares about missing black children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 07:39 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,552,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Interesting interview on HLN, the Grandmother and the Mother's sister were on, saying they want the truth, even if it is her own sister. A cousin states she saw marks on Jhessey--why didn't she tell anyone or report the abuse?

Sounds to me like even the family thinks the Mom is guilty. Apparently the Mom went to the store, left Jhessey home alone, came home, she was missing.

They are making a point that no one cares about missing black children.
I just watched it too. I don't agree with them. The media chooses which cases to publicize. This child is just as important as any other.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:44 PM

Well, it is not good when your own family throws you under the bus on a news show.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Well, it is not good when your own family throws you under the bus on a news show.
My comment in the prior post was to the highlighted.

More families in these situations should speak out, but rarely happens.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:44 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,965,703 times
How does the media pick and choose?

Baby Lisa Irwin is in the news every day. TV, newspapers and even People Magazine.

Over a month ago 3 year old Aliayah Lunsford in WVA disappeared from her home.

Jahessye Shockley, 5 years old went missing at 5 PM Tuesday (10/11) and the Amber Alert was not issued until Wednesday. I have a problem with that the Amber Alert should have been issued Tuesday evening. That is purpose of the Amber Alert so people are aware of the missing child immediately.

Haleigh Cummings, 5 years old at the time. Disappeared from her home in February, 2009.

Why do some of the cases receive massive national coverage and others just fall by the way?

Old 10-27-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
How does the media pick and choose?

Why do some of the cases receive massive national coverage and others just fall by the way?
This is exactly my point. Who decides what gets massive coverage...the media. What happened to Aliyah Lunsford? The media dropped that case, shes yesterdays news. What makes one childs media coverage prevail over others?

Jhessey Shockly's grandmother and aunt are blaming the cause as racism

Old 10-28-2011, 01:36 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,847,756 times
Oh of course they are. I listened to the grandmother talk for like 20 minutes about how the media are ignoring this story but she didn't once offer, when she was gettingher chance, to tell us what happened. When did this girl go missing, what time, who was the last to see her, etc. The public needs/wants details, not listen to talk of racism...that isn't going to help. There are so many kids that go missing every day, the media isn't obligated to carry any of their stories, if it wasn't for HLN none of their stories would ever be heard. They pick the ones that might be compelling to the public. This story could be very compelling but does this family really want the media to start digging into their family's dirt? See, you can't have one without the other. That is what she started to get last night and she didn't like it when the interviewer asked questions about her daughter and her past history of child abuse. Of course LE is going to suspect the mother...only the aunt came forward and said she wants to find Jhessey, no matter who is guilty. and grandmother started getting nasty about the cousin who said she saw bruises on this girl because it points back to her "rehabilitated" daughter. I do feel sorry for this family, but if you want the media involved, be careful what you wish for because you might get it.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:20 PM

I would almost expect this family to call it "racism" when the media starts digging and reporting all the negative information about the Mom. She also alluded to it, when discussing the other kids in the home being removed, she stated that the kids in the home of baby lisa were not removed...well, maybe Baby Lisa's Mom has not been reported on for child abuse several times either...Not thinking much about this family, the focus should have been on Jhessey. More information about day she went missing, time, situation...

Old 10-28-2011, 03:48 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,201,919 times
Im certainly not one to play the race card. Im black, and i will call it as i see it, no matter who it offends; black, white, hispanic, etc. I dont care.

But, when it comes to missing kids, or people in general. If you watch the news, you would only think white children or pretty white women go missing. Because that is who the media focuses on. You really cant deny that. Seriously, how can you? If you watch TV and the news like everyone else, you have GOT to know most of the cases that receive a TON of attention are white.

Now, this is not to say that behind closed doors law enforcement is not working on it. That's not what I mean. However, the MEDIA chooses what it wants to pick up and run with. And 90 percent of what I see is either missing white kids or missing white women. If you sit here and think about all the cases that just played over and over in the media, they are white. And im not playing ANY card. It is what it is. I suppose minority children or adults, or MEN, for that matter, dont go missing if ya listen to the news.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
I would almost expect this family to call it "racism" when the media starts digging and reporting all the negative information about the Mom. She also alluded to it, when discussing the other kids in the home being removed, she stated that the kids in the home of baby lisa were not removed...well, maybe Baby Lisa's Mom has not been reported on for child abuse several times either...Not thinking much about this family, the focus should have been on Jhessey. More information about day she went missing, time, situation...
Debra Bradley was so drunk she can't remember when the last time was she checked on her baby or what she was wearing, her kids should have been taken too. In fact at this point, no one knows who saw the child last other than the mother. She could have been gone for days before they reported her missing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime