U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 10:30 PM

21,580 posts, read 14,480,899 times

Advertisements

For sure, Lohan has blown up a lot of opportunity to become sober and productive once more. She did break the law, and she may have imperiled others, but by far, she has damaged herself the most.

But given her young life, I don't condemn her. She grew up being an an entertainment baby, just like Spears and many others. What real education she ever got was secondary and spotty, done on the set only to meet the requirements for child actors. The only skill she ever had to really learn was the ability to memorize her lines and learn where the camera was, and dogs can learn that.

She went from being a darling to a problem in the wink of an eye, just as child actors have always done. Jody Foster is the exception, not the rule. Foster obviously has high intelligence and high concentration abilities. That she decided to go back into the actor's life after college is even more of an exception- most young actors who do this don't return to a life in front of the camera.

Hollywood has always been littered with once-cute kids who once made huge amounts of money for a brief period. The only quality a kid has to have is to be photogenic and expressive. All kids learn how to be expressive, and lots of kids are cute. That does not mean that they are smart, have wise parents, learn how to be responsible, or have the ability to live happy lives once the cameras and the audience have moved on.

Everything in their early lives makes it easy to go straight downhill. Lohan, after all, is still very young- she's not 30, or close to it, yet. How many of us made some big time bad choices when we were 19, 20, 21, or 22? God knows I did. Only my anonymity saved me from being notorious.

We live in an age of vampires who are fame-suckers. All actors are show-offs, so they are very easy targets to get all outraged about, but who among us in the Big Crowd would end up just like her if given a chance at her life? Lots and lots of us, I think. I think there is a big amount of envy in some of the criticism laid on her. People will do very stupid things for a little kiss of fame these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 10:32 PM

5,706 posts, read 8,148,105 times
If you had her parents the odds of you ending up like her would be pretty doggone good.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:57 PM

13,900 posts, read 10,820,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
If you had her parents the odds of you ending up like her would be pretty doggone good.
Oh please. Blame theparents, blame the freindly uncle, blame the world, for god sakes blame somebody but don't blame me!!!

At what age do we begin to take accountability for ourown actions?

Old 11-07-2011, 06:30 AM

18,852 posts, read 31,813,649 times
To some extent, her parents are her problem. But she is making her own life now. I have a theory about having rotten parents, you make mistakes in your 20's, because no one helped you lay out a clear path for your life, and you actually start "parenting" yourself in your 20's. You are old enough to make your own path. The best thing Lindsey could do for herself is go to college, take some drama classes, learn the business side of Hollywood, and go back in a few years, well educated, clean, grounded, and better than ever.

Or continue partying, drugging, begging for roles, having her whole life and self esteem wrapped up in superficial values. Tragic.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:55 AM

29,038 posts, read 45,135,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgreymare View Post
How many days of her latest "30 days in jail" sentence do you think skanky Lindsey will serve this time? I think everyone needs to go to California and commit crimes...hell, they don't lock you up for more than a few hours/days!! WTF??
I am so sick of the "somebodys" getting off with a slap on the wrist, while the rest of us, (who stupidly keep supporting them by buying their movies, records, etc.) get to rot in jail for a lifetime for similar offenses!
You kind of contradict yourself here, by saying WE should commit crimes in California (due to the shortened sentences), but then ask why only the special people get out so quickly. Well, your first statement is actually the correct one... the jails here are so overcrowded right now, that anyone who commits a non-violent crime will only serve a tiny portion of their sentence. It's not just the celebs who get off easy, it's all non-violent criminals in this state.

The problem is our overcrowded prison system, which could be alleviated by eliminating sentences for drug addicts altogether. Jail won't and can't help these folks, so why are we wasting our money on incarcerating them? Leave the prisons open for violent/dangerous criminals, and find another method for rehabilitating addicts... I've heard drugs are easier to get in prison than on the streets, so clearly that isn't the best place to send them.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:19 AM

9,262 posts, read 9,327,720 times
Quote:
How many days of her latest "30 days in jail" sentence do you think skanky Lindsey will serve this time? I think everyone needs to go to California and commit crimes...hell, they don't lock you up for more than a few hours/days!! WTF??
I am so sick of the "somebodys" getting off with a slap on the wrist, while the rest of us, (who stupidly keep supporting them by buying their movies, records, etc.) get to rot in jail for a lifetime for similar offenses!

Its fashionable in this country to want everybody convicted of a criminal offense to be locked up for long periods of time. The problem with that approach though is that it doesn't attempt to weigh the costs of the person's criminal offense against the cost to the taxpayers of incarcerating the person. A good average cost for incarcerating someone in a correctional facility is about $45,000 per year. That means that the daily cost of incarcerating that person is a little over $120 a day. Where correctional costs are higher, the cost is higher as well.

None of these costs takes into account the expense of things like alcohol and drug treatment which might actually keep the offender from re-offending and fix the problem in the first place.

Its not like we are running budget surpluses right now and can afford to spend money willy/nilly to make a point or just because we want to teach a "skank" a lesson. Lohan has been to jail now. She at least knows what it is like inside.

I don't think the California Legislature contemplated this. However, in Lohan's case what would serve the public interest the most is the imposition of a "super fine" or a fine that is extraordinarily high, so that it actually makes a difference to Lohan. Perhaps if the fine was $500,000 or $1,000,000, she would sit up and pay attention for a change. In America, we make the mistake of imposing a standard fine for criminal offenses which is the same whether one is a millionaire or on public assistance. In Scandinavian countries, judges impose what are called "penalty units". The idea is that certain offenses are worth so many "penalty units". Your fine for the offense is determined by your income and by the number of penalty units given you by the judge as a sentence. Millionaires in these countries have been fined $50,000 for speeding on the theory that any less of a fine will go unnoticed by them.

Under my approach, Lohan would be more likely to get the message she screwed up and more importantly, the taxpayers would actually come out ahead. Of course, that takes some creativity. Developing some creativity in the criminal justice system with respect to sentencing would be really useful because much of what we do is ineffective.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:00 AM

4,579 posts, read 7,086,317 times
she's out already, she was booked on Sunday and released at 1:30 am this morning. Spent about 5 hours in jail.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:31 AM

18,852 posts, read 31,813,649 times
Five hours. Why bother.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:46 AM

16,085 posts, read 23,973,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
she's out already, she was booked on Sunday and released at 1:30 am this morning. Spent about 5 hours in jail.
No vacancy.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:28 AM

28,206 posts, read 20,823,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
The sad thing about Lindsey, is that she still thinks she is all that. She is not unlike Dana Plato, Dana Plato - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I see Lindsay ending up like Dana if she does not get treatment. Sad.
If you have an SLAC then this should come as no surprise, really. Plus, she has toxic people around her confirming that she is, indeed, all that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime