U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 07:12 AM

51,887 posts, read 41,774,553 times

Advertisements

This is really disturbing news for the Penn State alum and raises some important questions in their minds.

1) How will this affect their incoming recruiting class?
2) Will there be sanctions against their football team?
3) What will their bowl chances be next year?

In fairness, this mentality is pervasive in wayyyyy too many schools around the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 07:21 AM

51,887 posts, read 41,774,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I would speculate that it is the opposite: Male/male child abuse is so disturbing that these very manly men couldn't even discuss it and confront it. They wanted it to go away (and by go away, I mean just go somewhere else).
I think the two of you have a very active imagination.

If you look at a history of attempted scandal cover-ups you will see that the morality, manliness or whatever were seldom the driving factor to either conciously or sub-conciously turn a blind eye. It's about damaging the program that they are part of and the implications to "the team".

Look at a number of political sex scandals. It's almost always about the party, votes etc. and never about ethics or outrage at the actual action.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:21 AM

1,422 posts, read 4,632,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
This is really disturbing news for the Penn State alum and raises some important questions in their minds.

1) How will this affect their incoming recruiting class?
2) Will there be sanctions against their football team?
3) What will their bowl chances be next year?

In fairness, this mentality is pervasive in wayyyyy too many schools around the country.
WHO CARES? They ought to focus solely on academics and purging their leadership. Last night was a good start.

Young boys were sacrificed so not as to damage the money making machine that is Penn State football. Damn these people who looked away. The horror of this situation is beyond description.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:55 AM

5,990 posts, read 11,563,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Apparently the term of "innocent until proven guilty" does not apply here, the coach, and the university president were released from their jobs tonight tonight.

The evidence must have been very overwhelming.

I can't wrap my head around why anyone would ignore a child being exploited. There is no one I would help cover that up. That is so messed up. Major ethical issues. Is male on male child abuse acceptable to men? I just don't understand it.
I'm a man, and it sure as hell isn't acceptable to me!

Old 11-10-2011, 09:06 AM

1,422 posts, read 4,632,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12
Apparently the term of "innocent until proven guilty" does not apply here, the coach, and the university president were released from their jobs tonight tonight.
Innocent until proven guilty is a legal concept, not an employment provision. So you're right, it doesn't apply here.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:40 AM

7,106 posts, read 9,342,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Here is an article that ran in my local Pocono Record on our local university (ESSU) sex scandal: http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090213/NEWS0911/90213014&cid=sitesearch It has gone on for a little over four years and nobody has been charged.

Many in my community are still waiting for answers.

I do believe that the PSU scandal will move much quicker. The celebrity status of Joe Paterno is a double edged sword. While Joe Paterno still has many supporters; his actions or lack of action will be under a magnifying glass. If all of the charges against Joe’s best friend Jerry Sandusky are proven to be true; it will be hard to walk away unscathed.

With the sheer number of accusers coming forward; I would imagine that many others go down in flames before this mess is laid to rest.
True enough. The public needs to keep the heat on if they wants a case resolved; local authorities want to be re-elected and will put in the effort wheh they are being watched.

Old 11-10-2011, 01:36 PM

4,571 posts, read 7,055,913 times
what disgusted me also was seeing all those Penn State students coming out last night in a near riot to support JP. If I saw my kid on TV in that demonstration, I'd pull him out of that school immediately. Don't these so-called well educated young adults know the difference between football (a game, and one I happen to love) and monsterous child rape? I realize JP didn't commit the actual crimes but he was a big part of the cover up and I think that will come out...he had supreme power at that school. There's a saying I've always remembered..."Silence is Consent". And these are the kids that will be leading our country when they graduate??? Did they really expect to have him out on the field coaching on Saturday, being lifted on the shoulders of the team at the last home game. For once I can say that the people in charge had the XXXXX to do the right thing. Course they really had no choice at this point because the media was all over this and they had to go into even more of a protection mode to save what's left. It's still not enough because the guy who actually witnessed the rape is still coaching and will be on the field on Saturday...he needs to go too. I wonder if he was told never to tell or his career would be over or paid off to keep his silence all these years. This is going to get very ugly.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:05 PM

530 posts, read 2,589,051 times
It's more than nothing was done to him, he is coaching this weekend's game. Read the article below, very important that people know about this. The school will say all the right things, but the important point is this guy, who witnessed this despicable act, is coaching this weekend and being paid by the school to do so. After witnessing the act, as the article says, he didn't step in to stop it, didn't call the police...he called his father. Ask yourself what would you do if you witnessed this act? I know what I would do and I can assure you my dad wouldn't be involved in anyway.

Why is he coaching while Paterno was fired? The author of the article speculates that the school would be open to a lawsuit from McQueary if he was fired under "whistle blower" laws--in other words, you can be fired by your employer for reporting something illegal you see on the job. So the school, in the midst of this horror, is acting in their own financial interests.

For 9 years, this guy has walked around with this image in his head of what he saw, and has done nothing about it. Disgusting.

McQueary to coach Saturday? Reasoning difficult to comprehend - NCAA Football - CBSSports.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
Here's something to make your head spin...I believe he does work for Sardansky's charity??? Explain this to me...you know damn well he saw Sardusky more than Joe Pa did-and nothing was done to him???? How on earth can you go work for the devil?

The problem here is the code of conduct at Penn State, like a lot of employers ( government is prime example) you are not allowed to go to the police-you MUST follow the chain of command..so people did-and this is why the abuse went on because the people at the top swept it under the rug-that is what should be changed....

Old 11-10-2011, 02:10 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,703,820 times
I think that what makes this case complicated, is the fact that it occurred on University property. They like to think they are a kingdom unto themselves, not subject to the regular laws and rules of the rest of society, hence, campus police are called to investigate crimes, but their "real" job is to cover things up to protect the university...remember the problem with campus rapes for years? Not reported, not investigated, nothing done...same issues...and if it was reported, it was reported to campus police, and basically, swept under the rug.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:23 PM

4,571 posts, read 7,055,913 times
good point made about McQueary and whistleblower law. I knew there had to be some reason behind his still being on the sidelines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or