Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 10:40 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,530,753 times

Advertisements

While the actual crime is repulsive the failure of those who knew it was going on to report it is equally discusting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 11:16 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
I heard on a sports radio show this morning that Sandusky is still living in his house with $100k bail. To me he is a big flight risk and shouldn't be out at all. LE apparently is very concerned that if he has to go to jail (prior to his trial, if there is one) that the guys in prison will take care of him because he's a child predator. Why should LE even care what happens to him? He would be segregated from the general population anyway. See, this is the problem...all this sports idolotry. Why is he being treated with kid gloves, but if it was you or me, we'd be in jail. Everyone screamed about the Catholic Church protecting their own (and rightfully so) but this is the same thing...Penn State protecting their own, right from the beginning when they knew, include Joe P. Everyone involved should have been fired yesterday. The the board of trustees is scared to death about their alumni, their image, all that $$$$, etc.

One thing I don't get...so he was bringing young boys onto the Penn State campus...for what reason? Diddn't anybody think it was odd that he was doing this since they weren't even close to high school or college age and they would have no reason to be on campus, no less in the showers.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:04 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,929,449 times
I think the part of this that makes me so angry (aside from the horrors of the violence perpetrated on these kids) is that several adults in authority made the decision to protect their institution rather than protect children. How do people justify decisions like that. Clearly, they knew something awful was going on when they banned him from bringing children on campus, so how did justify stopping there?

It's OK if he continued to molest children, just not on our property? Really???

Old 11-09-2011, 12:06 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
It is now approaching 20 victims: http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20111109/SPORTS90/111090341/-1/SPORTS

So far nobody has been convicted of anything. But it is very hard to believe that even the immortal football coach will be unscathed by this scandal. If these charges are proven to be true; how can anybody claim they did the right thing - when they did not go to the police? 2002 was the chance that Joe Paterno had to stop this string of tragedies - he did not and it does not appear that he followed up on the original accusations. He had the power to go to the police or ban his friend from the school. His lack of courage to do the right thing cost the innocence of other young boys.

It all has to be proven in court - but the whole mess is going to have a lot of collateral damage.

All the wrongdoers are being chased out from under the beds and hosed down with Raid lately, as any cockroach deserves -- all those televangelists and senators propositioning cops in public toilets, Herman Cain and his growing list of blonde harassment victims, and let's not forget Colonel Khadaffy. This guy will go down with the others.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:54 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
All the wrongdoers are being chased out from under the beds and hosed down with Raid lately, as any cockroach deserves -- all those televangelists and senators propositioning cops in public toilets, Herman Cain and his growing list of blonde harassment victims, and let's not forget Colonel Khadaffy. This guy will go down with the others.
Here is an article that ran in my local Pocono Record on our local university (ESSU) sex scandal: http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090213/NEWS0911/90213014&cid=sitesearch It has gone on for a little over four years and nobody has been charged.

Many in my community are still waiting for answers.

I do believe that the PSU scandal will move much quicker. The celebrity status of Joe Paterno is a double edged sword. While Joe Paterno still has many supporters; his actions or lack of action will be under a magnifying glass. If all of the charges against Joe’s best friend Jerry Sandusky are proven to be true; it will be hard to walk away unscathed.

With the sheer number of accusers coming forward; I would imagine that many others go down in flames before this mess is laid to rest.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:33 PM

I know this might be a controversial opinion, but I think if there was at least one female involved in the Penn State issue, a cover-up would not have happened. I think a woman would have stepped back from the situation and made decisions that protected children.

There are very few professions left these days where there are no females in leadership positions (football and the priesthood....). Just a thought.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:29 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Apparently the term of "innocent until proven guilty" does not apply here, the coach, and the university president were released from their jobs tonight tonight.

The evidence must have been very overwhelming.

I can't wrap my head around why anyone would ignore a child being exploited. There is no one I would help cover that up. That is so messed up. Major ethical issues. Is male on male child abuse acceptable to men? I just don't understand it.

Last edited by jasper12; 11-09-2011 at 09:32 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 11-09-2011, 11:08 PM

5,331 posts, read 8,538,811 times
what I don't understand is why the guy, who was then a graduate student, Mike McQueary, did not go to the police when he saw the 10yo boy being raped in the shower by Sandusky.

Although it looks like he is now being charged with failure to report abuse. He should have known better at the time!!

Old 11-10-2011, 04:12 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,618,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E E View Post
what I don't understand is why the guy, who was then a graduate student, Mike McQueary, did not go to the police when he saw the 10yo boy being raped in the shower by Sandusky.

Although it looks like he is now being charged with failure to report abuse. He should have known better at the time!!
Here's something to make your head spin...I believe he does work for Sardansky's charity??? Explain this to me...you know damn well he saw Sardusky more than Joe Pa did-and nothing was done to him???? How on earth can you go work for the devil?

The problem here is the code of conduct at Penn State, like a lot of employers ( government is prime example) you are not allowed to go to the police-you MUST follow the chain of command..so people did-and this is why the abuse went on because the people at the top swept it under the rug-that is what should be changed....

Old 11-10-2011, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Major ethical issues. Is male on male child abuse acceptable to men? I just don't understand it.
I would speculate that it is the opposite: Male/male child abuse is so disturbing that these very manly men couldn't even discuss it and confront it. They wanted it to go away (and by go away, I mean just go somewhere else).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime