U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 07:11 AM

13,900 posts, read 10,791,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I did sort of wonder about the drama/hysterics. Of the girl, I mean, she knew it was being video taped. However, even so, there is nothing my daughter could say or do to make me act that sadistically. Great, she could video tape being sent to her room. Not a lot of drama there.
I agree with you j12, I wonder if she knew it was being recorded. { of course she did right? It's possible she was playing it up a bit. Not to mention she obviously knew she was going to be punished having had set up the video camera or whatever.}

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
The New York Daily News by Ethan Sacks - November 2, 2011

Daughter says she posted 2004 footage on YouTube.
Worse

Evevn less "courageous" and "honorable"

Quote:
Adams continued: "In my mind I have not done anything wrong other than discipline my child when she was caught stealing".
This man was a judge in the Texas judicial system, a state which is very, "gung ho" on capital punishment with over 200 executions per year, and a Christian, a faith which condones the stoning to death of a disobedient child by all the members of the childs village in the Old Testament......

Considering the source, this really isn't all that shocking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 11:40 AM

16,085 posts, read 23,906,055 times
This form of punishment is abuse, its never an isolated incident.

Whatever means she resorted to in order to expose her father are irrelavent.

Heres the entire quote...Daughter says she posted 2004 footage on YouTube after pattern of abuse

Key words..she was caught stealing...anyone who watches the video knows this is false, he lied. Of course, minimizing the severity is typical of an abuser.
Adams continued: "In my mind I have not done anything wrong other than discipline my child when she was caught stealing".

Last edited by virgode; 11-16-2011 at 12:27 PM..

Old 11-16-2011, 12:18 PM

Effects of child physical abuse

Initial Effects of Child Physical Abuse
  • Immediate pain, suffering and medical problems in some cases death caused by physical injury.
  • Emotional problems such as anger, hostility, fear, anxiety, humiliation, lowered self-esteem and inability to express feelings.
  • Behavioural problems such as aggression by the child towards others or self-destructive behaviour, hyperactivity, truancy, inability to form friendships with peers and poor social skills. Poorer cognitive and language skills than non-abused children.
Long Term Consequences Of Child Physical Abuse

• Long term physical disabilities, for example, brain damage or eye damage.
  • Disordered interpersonal relationships, for example, difficulty trusting others within adult relationships or violent relationships.
  • A predisposition to emotional disturbance.
  • Feelings of low self esteem.
  • Depression.
  • An increased potential for child abuse as a parent.
  • Drug or alcohol abuse.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:04 AM

7,112 posts, read 9,354,537 times
Quote:
To exempt himself and then get on Judges platform everyday, he would have to be afflicted mentally.

Not familar with "bunghole", I'll assume its derogatory term like "ahole" or "jackwagon".

I completely disagree with you, my friend. There is no connection between being a violent parent and being mentally ill. They just happen to believe that if they are angry at their kids it's OK to half-kill them. The typical wife- and child-beater has a great public image and in many cases has very responsible work -- I for instance have known a successful attorney, a brain surgeon and a chief of police who abused their families badly enough to force them to flee in order to save their own lives. Remember the German phrase for it? "An angel in public and a devil at home," they say.

Mentally ill people can be violent too of course, but their problems are almost impossible to hide, and they can't turn it on and off like a faucet the way a typical batterer can. They can't function well even if they want to. This guy we're talking about not only made it through law school but was functional enough to get himself elected judge! And he's a bunghole! (Which is indeed the same as an a-hole. )

Old 11-18-2011, 10:08 AM

18,852 posts, read 31,732,472 times
Sociopaths are skilled, and often very successful, they are personable, even charismatic, but when they have a vulnerable person they can act out their disorder on, that person gets the full brunt of their complete lack of empathy, and disregard for others. Sociopaths would kill others, with no problem, but what stops them is the social cost of being caught. This guy probably would have abused his daughter more, but stopped at a line of self preservation. Just do it enough to create an atmosphere of fearful respect, which is like herion to a sociopath.

Old 11-18-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
I completely disagree with you, my friend. There is no connection between being a violent parent and being mentally ill. They just happen to believe that if they are angry at their kids it's OK to half-kill them. The typical wife- and child-beater has a great public image and in many cases has very responsible work -- I for instance have known a successful attorney, a brain surgeon and a chief of police who abused their families badly enough to force them to flee in order to save their own lives. Remember the German phrase for it? "An angel in public and a devil at home," they say.

Mentally ill people can be violent too of course, but their problems are almost impossible to hide, and they can't turn it on and off like a faucet the way a typical batterer can. They can't function well even if they want to. This guy we're talking about not only made it through law school but was functional enough to get himself elected judge! And he's a bunghole! (Which is indeed the same as an a-hole. )
Of course, this isn't a deranged psychotic episode lacking any control.
I know the operatives of the typical garden variety abuser. There something more going on here. An angel in public and a devil at home doesn't quite fit this case.

I absolutely disagree and this is going to be a repetition of what I've already said, When you can totally detach from your profession and judical duties, having heard these cases everday, fully aware of what defines abuse, its consequences on the victim. Throw in the Cerebral Palsy too, you're looking at a man with mental disturbances of some kind, even if hes functional.

Last edited by virgode; 11-18-2011 at 03:08 PM..

Old 11-22-2011, 10:28 AM

7,112 posts, read 9,354,537 times
I don't see what makes you say he's mentally disturbed. CP may or may not affect a person's mind. It didn't affect his enough to keep him from excelling in school and doing well enough as an attorney to be a sitting judge for I don't know how many years.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
I don't see what makes you say he's mentally disturbed. CP may or may not affect a person's mind. It didn't affect his enough to keep him from excelling in school and doing well enough as an attorney to be a sitting judge for I don't know how many years.
The father doesn't have CP, the daughter does.

Hes an abusive naricissistic sociopath.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:09 AM

508 posts, read 1,650,043 times
Texas court suspends judge taped beating daughter - CNN.com

Some justice has been served for the girl. Let's hope this continues trending in the right direction and he's punished for what became that horribly disturbing video.

Quote:
"Judge William Adams, who made national headlines after the release of a 2004 video of him beating his then-teenage daughter, has been suspended by the Texas Supreme Court."

Old 11-23-2011, 06:38 AM

18,852 posts, read 31,732,472 times
I am not seeing any family holidays after this. I agree that he should not be a judge any longer.

Hope this girl does not need to borrow money from her Dad.

Was this girl using this tape to leverage her Father? And he finally told her to do whatever she wanted? Did she tell him about the tape? So many unanswered questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or