U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 01:24 PM

508 posts, read 1,649,308 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this has been discussed yet. I searched the forum and didn't find anything.

Texas judge confirms video of him beating daughter, says 'I lost my temper' - CNN

The video actually makes me sick to my stomach. I'm proud of the girl for standing up for herself, albeit many years later, and hope excuse for a father takes this more seriously than how he's been acting so far.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 02:12 PM

16,085 posts, read 23,898,417 times
Disgusting....hes mental, a judge in child abuse cases.

Good for his daughter, I applaud her for having the courage to release the tape.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:45 PM

668 posts, read 1,905,469 times
Shame, thats what my Dad used to do to me, every week, for most of my life!!

Back in the 50's, people would look the other way, when someone beat thier kids, but, then again, we went the other way, extreme, and didnt discipline our kid enough I think.

I can count on one hand, the number of times I whipped my Son and Daughter, together with my hand, instead of a belt, (the weapon that most fathers at that time chose).

Son turned out good, and Daughter is a handful, so, maybe I spared the 'rod' on her too much, when she really needed it, but, I too didnt want to go the way of my father and beat my kids to death.

Hopefully, someday our kids or Grandkids will learn to discipline thier kids more than we did, and get this Country back on course, before we implode.

Was that Judge right or wrong? Who knows, but, Im not going to judge him, as we all will be judged someday by the measure we judge others.

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 11-14-2011, 03:24 PM

288 posts, read 243,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkingmenace View Post

Back in the 50's, people would look the other way, when someone beat thier kids, but, then again, we went the other way, extreme, and didnt discipline our kid enough I think.

I can count on one hand, the number of times I whipped my Son and Daughter, together with my hand, instead of a belt, (the weapon that most fathers at that time chose).

Son turned out good, and Daughter is a handful, so, maybe I spared the 'rod' on her too much, when she really needed it, but, I too didnt want to go the way of my father and beat my kids to death.

Hopefully, someday our kids or Grandkids will learn to discipline thier kids more than we did, and get this Country back on course, before we implode.

Was that Judge right or wrong? Who knows, but, Im not going to judge him, as we all will be judged someday by the measure we judge others.

I wish you well...

Jesse
When I was growing up we got whooped with belts, hangers(metal and plastic), and my older brother and sister has been whooped by a paddle before, that was in school before it was against the law to hit children in school. Anyway I think I came out fine, but that is not the case for a a ot of people..

Old 11-14-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkingmenace View Post

I wish you well...

Jesse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unique27 View Post
When I was growing up we got whooped with belts, hangers(metal and plastic), and my older brother and sister has been whooped by a paddle before, that was in school before it was against the law to hit children in school. Anyway I think I came out fine, but that is not the case for a a ot of people..
I'm sorry to hear you both were beaten as a form of punishment so you'd comply.

What bothers me about your posts, neither one of you acknowledged this as abuse or sympathized with the recipient. Sad.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:09 PM

288 posts, read 243,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
I'm sorry to hear you both were beaten as a form of punishment so you'd comply.

What bothers me about your posts, neither one of you acknowledged this as abuse or sympathized with the recipient. Sad.

Actually I do sympathize the girl, she did get beaten for 7 mins by her father and it shouldn't have happened. As far as I go I know I was abused too that's why I wrote my post, my point was is that some people come out okay and others do not, but I never said it wasn't abuse..

Old 11-14-2011, 05:43 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,722,131 times
I actually looked at this video with my teen daughter. We were both pretty horrified. That was inappropriate. I treat my teens like adults, if they make a mistake or delibrately break rules, it is discussed rationally, in normal tones. Those parents were completely crazy INMO.

How could you have a trusting, normal relationship with people like that? If you had a problem, you would hide it, or lie, to avoid abuse. That whole thing looked dysfunctional to me.

The good news, is that my teen now realizes that she has pretty good parents, and is lucky.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:31 PM

13,900 posts, read 10,788,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Nikita. View Post
Not sure if this has been discussed yet. I searched the forum and didn't find anything.

Texas judge confirms video of him beating daughter, says 'I lost my temper' - CNN

The video actually makes me sick to my stomach. I'm proud of the girl for standing up for herself, albeit many years later, and hope excuse for a father takes this more seriously than how he's been acting so far.

Thoughts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Disgusting....hes mental, a judge in child abuse cases.

Good for his daughter, I applaud her for having the courage to release the tape.
And right as he's going up for re-election no less.......

Sorry, the girls motives are a bit sketchy IMO...... seems more like an "I'll get you for this" type of thing than exposing him for the child abuser that he really is.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:42 AM

508 posts, read 1,649,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I actually looked at this video with my teen daughter. We were both pretty horrified. That was inappropriate. I treat my teens like adults, if they make a mistake or delibrately break rules, it is discussed rationally, in normal tones. Those parents were completely crazy INMO.

How could you have a trusting, normal relationship with people like that? If you had a problem, you would hide it, or lie, to avoid abuse. That whole thing looked dysfunctional to me.

The good news, is that my teen now realizes that she has pretty good parents, and is lucky.
Good for you! I think it's important that kids are treated as adults and spoken to in a rational manner. This will help them make more educated arguments and speak their point in the future, without resorting to violence or other forms of aggression. A perfect example is the Jimmy Kimmel video that was going around in which parents told their children that they had eaten their Halloween candy while they were asleep. The little boys at the end had a rational and mature discussion, despite their young age, of why they were unhappy about this. Those kids are on the right track. (link to video: YouTube Challenge - I Told My Kids I Ate All Their Halloween Candy - YouTube)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
And right as he's going up for re-election no less.......

Sorry, the girls motives are a bit sketchy IMO...... seems more like an "I'll get you for this" type of thing than exposing him for the child abuser that he really is.
It's also right when the judge is trying to get custody of his 10 year old child. When I was a child I fought through custody battles with an abusive father. I think she did a smart thing and helped her sibling out. The ability to expose him to the public for what he really is, while in the meantime hurting his chances for re-election, seems like a bonus to me.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Nikita. View Post
It's also right when the judge is trying to get custody of his 10 year old child. When I was a child I fought through custody battles with an abusive father. I think she did a smart thing and helped her sibling out. The ability to expose him to the public for what he really is, while in the meantime hurting his chances for re-election, seems like a bonus to me.
Exactly, he has no business hearing cases of child abuse or any other duties as a Judge. The foul language he spewed and repeated beating puts him into the category of an abuser. The mother is just as bad tho, she condoned his actions. I really don't give a flip why she went public, it took courage.

Last edited by virgode; 11-15-2011 at 02:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or