Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 10:52 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times

Advertisements

I've heard some people even call for the death penalty for crimes such as child molestation, kidnapping, armed robbery or even just regular rape. Back in the Middle Ages and in many countries like China or Iran the list of capital crimes is indeed very long, from killing a Panda to being a homosexual, for instance.

I think it's for good reason that in the US, now the last remaining western democracy to have capital punishment, capital punishment is only really for first degree murder and treason. I've heard of a push to include the rape of minors as a capital crime in some states, and although I'm just as shocked as any others and I believe some pedophiles could potentially be murderers, the DP should strictly be for murder, if it has to be used (I'm against it in principle myself).

There seems to be no rational argument to execute rapists etc other than just appeals to the emotion. Yet such vengeful thinking is common and I find myself feeling it sometimes. I wouldn't go to the extent of advocating it, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 10:54 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
the problem is not an excessive of punishment, the problem is a lack thereof.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
the problem is not an excessive of punishment, the problem is a lack thereof.
So you'd like to go back to England in the 1700s? Where children were hanged for stealing? Where crime was rampant...

Punishment alone has never been good deterrant of crime. It's a whole of society thing that concerns us all. We can't just shove em off to prison or send them to the man in the sky to take care of them. We are part of the problem and the solution.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:05 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I've heard some people even call for the death penalty for crimes such as child molestation, kidnapping, armed robbery or even just regular rape. Back in the Middle Ages and in many countries like China or Iran the list of capital crimes is indeed very long, from killing a Panda to being a homosexual, for instance.

I think it's for good reason that in the US, now the last remaining western democracy to have capital punishment, capital punishment is only really for first degree murder and treason. I've heard of a push to include the rape of minors as a capital crime in some states, and although I'm just as shocked as any others and I believe some pedophiles could potentially be murderers, the DP should strictly be for murder, if it has to be used (I'm against it in principle myself).

There seems to be no rational argument to execute rapists etc other than just appeals to the emotion. Yet such vengeful thinking is common and I find myself feeling it sometimes. I wouldn't go to the extent of advocating it, though.
"Just regular rape" is considered by the FBI to be second only to murder in the devastation it creates in the lives of the victims. They may never feel safe again. 86% of rape victims develop addictions inm order to keep from feeling the feelings that come with being raped. Victims' marriages break up, their jobs are lost; a few go into the hospital and don't come out for years. Some see their relatives go to prison for goiong after the person who did it to them. A few die.

Here's a rational argument to support capital punishment for these guys: Let's prevent all that from happening. Here's another: Rapists don't change. They do it because they like to do it, and there's no changing that, even with ten years of therapy. They will NEVER be safe in human society.

Here's a rational argument against it: It costs ten times as much to execute a guy as it does to keep himin prison until he is a little old sex offender. Here's another: What if you have the wrong guy? Here's a third: The victim can be so guilt-stricken that he or she caused the death of another person that it may keep them from reporting in the first place. Fear of vigilante justice by their relatives keeps people from reporting now, and that's without capital punishment. Here's another argument: a guy on Death Row looks like a big weepy victim to the public, even if he's guilty as Hannibal the Cannibal, and he gets love letters and marriage proposals and fan clubs and picketers. Gag me with a habeas corpus!

Old 10-06-2011, 11:24 AM

1,569 posts, read 2,043,533 times
Quote:

And what about the death penalty for murder or treason doesn't appeal to emotion? What is the rational argument that applies there that would not apply to executing pedophiles?

Old 10-07-2011, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
And what about the death penalty for murder or treason doesn't appeal to emotion? What is the rational argument that applies there that would not apply to executing pedophiles?
Well if you want to get technical you can go back to 'an eye for an eye', and treason may potential result in the loss of millions of lives. Even if someone IS convicted of treason I would hope the government would grant him clemency, although I can understand why the DP might be used in such a case. As I said, however, I'm anti-DP in principle and believe the arguments for the abolition of capital punishment altogether are more convincing. This thread was in response to the belief that many people have that all these scummy people should be killed.

Old 10-07-2011, 04:59 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
I do not agree with execution for any reason.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:32 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,154,207 times
I see no reason whatsoever to spend over $30,000 a year on one person who chooses to kill another person in cold blood.

They chose not to value another person's life and have thereby forfeited their own.

I am for the death penalty, but only in murder cases.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:33 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I see no reason whatsoever to spend over $30,000 a year on one person who chooses to kill another person in cold blood.

They chose not to value another person's life and have thereby forfeited their own.

I am for the death penalty, but only in murder cases.
My oft repeated refrain, "The government and society should hold itself to the same and/or higher standards than those it prosecutes, judges and punishes."

Old 10-07-2011, 12:24 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,626,290 times
Quote:

I haven't read all of the posts but this is a hot button with me but I have mixed emotions. Emotionally, I want any crime of abuse, murder, torture, rape, to a minor under age 16, to carry a possible death sentence, if proven. But, then I think about the people in prison and on death row who have been exonerated (??) and I fall away from that position.....reluctantly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime