U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2011, 10:04 AM

52,095 posts, read 41,903,893 times

Advertisements

Larry King Murder: Gay Teen's Death Illustrates Schools' Challenge

Normally when you hear stories like this you expect them to be of the gay student being the innocent victim....which is more often than not the case.

In this situation though, there seemed to be harassment going on both ways.

Almost seems to me like the school was either uninvolved or struggling with addressing the sexual harassment on one side and bullying on the other perhaps due to the uniqueness of the situation.

Just seems too bad that you wind up with 2 kids lives ruined when it was pretty clear there was a major problem brewing.

Basically, imagine that this were a guy and a girl and the guy kept sexually harassing the girl but at the same time the girls friends etc. bullied the guy.
I can't help but imagine that the school would have dealt better with that scenario.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 08:39 AM

9,917 posts, read 9,317,770 times
The mother was asking the school to contain her son's behavior. If they had attempted to make him conform (no dresses, no make-up, no sexual advances on male students) I wonder if Ms King would have been angry. It's a sad ending, two young lives destroyed as the parents, admin and teachers sat idly by as the situation escalated.

McInerney was 14 at the time he killed King but they must have tried him as an adult.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:40 AM

52,095 posts, read 41,903,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
The mother was asking the school to contain her son's behavior. If they had attempted to make him conform (no dresses, no make-up, no sexual advances on male students) I wonder if Ms King would have been angry. It's a sad ending, two young lives destroyed as the parents, admin and teachers sat idly by as the situation escalated.

McInerney was 14 at the time he killed King but they must have tried him as an adult.
Yeah. I mean if it's some guy overtly sexually harassing a girl then they would have suspended him in a heartbeat.

So, let's be entirely honest here.....the school didn't want to take the heat of perhaps appearing un-progressive by cracking down on the gay students behavior.

ANY situation involving race, sexual orientation, religion and so forth is very very easily dealt with if you just focus on the behavior.

Again, the vast vast majority of the time across america it's the gay student that is bullied and harassed, with high incidence of suicide. So this is clearly an aberration and thus makes for an odd twist in a sad case.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:03 PM

30,709 posts, read 33,537,865 times
First, I can't tell from the article exactly how the shooter was harassed and/or if complaints had been made. It says he was uncomfortable, and I get that, but WHAT was said or done prior to the incident to address that? This is so low on detail. Usually when things build up between two people they end with a punch in the nose, not a shot through the head.

Second, a school is not the place for anyone to be encouraged to explore their sexuality. Those teachers and administrators who were in on that need shouldn't have jobs anymore.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:28 PM

9,917 posts, read 9,317,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
First, I can't tell from the article exactly how the shooter was harassed and/or if complaints had been made. It says he was uncomfortable, and I get that, but WHAT was said or done prior to the incident to address that? This is so low on detail. Usually when things build up between two people they end with a punch in the nose, not a shot through the head.

Second, a school is not the place for anyone to be encouraged to explore their sexuality. Those teachers and administrators who were in on that need shouldn't have jobs anymore.
This article from July has a little bit more info ... King had a crush on McInerney. (From another post in True Crime.)

Both boys came from troubled homes ... Larry had lived at a center for abused and neglected children in the months before his slaying according to this article. Yet the current article says his mother asked the school to contain her son.

I do not think it was a hate crime ... like the OP said if it was a guy sexually harassing a girl, he would have been gone from school. Schools are so afraid of lawsuits now and I am sure they didn't face this situation ... just hoped if they ignored it, it would go away. The admin and the teachers blew this one.

The Murder Of Larry King - Trial Starts Today - Technorati Lifestyle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or