U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 05:02 PM

13,900 posts, read 10,780,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
I have an awful lot of "takes on this." However, they are ALL moot and mean nothing. As much of this discussion is. You are using what happened in a foreign country, with their laws, training and experience, and trying to force them on persons here. It doesn't wash, nor does it make sense.

This occurred in the UK. The UK has MUCH different laws, political aspects, social aspects, et al then the US. Therefore, any sort of "comparison," is worthless.

Would I have tazered this man? Based upon a few paragraph's of THIS article, probably not. I wasn't there and therefore, I make very few statements about what occurred, without knowing the total and complete facts.

My last paragraph is what seems to upset most people on this particular forum. Their ignorance. And yes, it is pure ignorance. People read a short news article, which is generally biased and DOES NOT have the full facts. Yet they believe, they can make some "accurate" statement about what occured. That is ignorance and it borderlines stupidity.

Hmmmm...Sorry Phil, my opinion wasn't based on ignorance and it wasn't about this instance in particular. It was a generalization. One doesn't have to wait long in order to see a story about a cop here in the US with a chip on his shoulder and who is a bit quick on grabbing his tazer........

Turn on the evening news tonight, there's a great chance you'll see a story about one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 01:25 AM

9,729 posts, read 18,416,726 times
The bully cops should be held accountable for their actions but they wont just like in long beach, burbank & san bernardino. Lets not forget the drunk man in long beach who stupidly pointed a water hose sprayer at the cops & was shot over 20 xs. The cops didnt even tell him to drop his so called weapon.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:09 PM

51,883 posts, read 41,765,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Lets not confuse excessive force with the stun-gun being used as a tool.

I've seen a number of videos where but-for the availability of the stun-gun they'd have had to shoot the guy.

No clear answer.

Specific to this case, it's a real shame.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:14 PM

10,586 posts, read 10,764,491 times
What ever happened to the three foot lead weighted trudgeon? If a person has a knife - let a skilled cop break his arm with one blow...problem is that most of our cops are really not street wise nor are they proper tough guys that have the smarts to street fight - This leads to little weasils or fat pigs using deadly force because without their gun - or tazer - the cops can not take care of him or herself in a fight....Cops are getting more and more useless and of lower and lower quality - with this lowering in natural ability the public is put in peril.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:36 PM

12,265 posts, read 18,393,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
What ever happened to the three foot lead weighted trudgeon? If a person has a knife - let a skilled cop break his arm with one blow...problem is that most of our cops are really not street wise nor are they proper tough guys that have the smarts to street fight - This leads to little weasils or fat pigs using deadly force because without their gun - or tazer - the cops can not take care of him or herself in a fight....Cops are getting more and more useless and of lower and lower quality - with this lowering in natural ability the public is put in peril.
Now, hold on, a knife is a deadly weapon. This is apples to oranges, in the OPs case there is no weapon (and I agreed it was excessive by LEO). In your case there is a weapon. If a person is threatening me with a knife and is 20 to 40 feet of me (I legally carry a 9mm firearm with me almost every day) - he is going down. If a person is within 20 feet of me and wants to kill me with a knife and I don't have my gun drawn, I am probably going down or I will be cut before things are done. The billy club is a good option if you have it ready. If not, well, test after test has shown no human can outdraw or outsheeth a charging man with a knife within 20 feet or so. But the best option is to remove that threat before he gets within the 20 foot zone, and that usually means a bullet.

Old 12-01-2011, 04:53 PM

13,900 posts, read 10,780,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Lets not confuse excessive force with the stun-gun being used as a tool.
Theres a difference between using it as a valuable tool and then using it to show your a "big man" with an electric toy.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:07 PM

This police officer is dangerous & should be re-evalutated now. Many people do become cops just for the power & rush they get.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:43 PM

6,652 posts, read 18,667,875 times
I have an avg 50% hearing loss and at times will remove the hearing aide to eliminate some loud noise that interfers with it's usage...will whistle or screech somewhat.

Traffic noise with it in the left ear and the window rolled down will at times make things worse.

I get to the point of removing them while driving to my destination.

My hearing problem started after a Combat situation in North Korea.

The poor guy did not deserve to die...period.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:26 PM

3,813 posts, read 3,655,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Hmmmm...Sorry Phil, my opinion wasn't based on ignorance and it wasn't about this instance in particular. It was a generalization. One doesn't have to wait long in order to see a story about a cop here in the US with a chip on his shoulder and who is a bit quick on grabbing his tazer........

Turn on the evening news tonight, there's a great chance you'll see a story about one.
Yes. It is based upon ignorance and, moreover, with this comment: STUPIDITY. You have no clue what you are talking about. You are not a law enforcement professional, trained in my aspects of law enforcement, etc. You are, to be quite honest: a NITWIT.

You sit in your chair. Comfortable and read a few lines of a 3-4 paragraph newspaper report. The report says "X" and you immediately jump on X and agree with it.

You and others here, have no training, no experience, no life experience, no nothing with it comes to police work and the modern criminal justice system. All YOU have is your "feelings." And your "opinion." Your opinion and feelings, in the criminal justice world, are worth what they are printed on: NOTHING.

Its funny. You and others feel as if you have some sort of "right" to make opinions and feelings, based upon what? The fact you watch CSI? COPS? What? You don't go on a board for doctors, electrician's, plumbers, et al and make your "opinions" made known to them? Why? Because you have NO CLUE what you are talking about (unless you are one of them).

Yet, you feel totally justified and happy, sitting in your chair, with a few cocktails, and make statements about something you KNOW NOTHING about. Your a kid. I have been doing this job for 23 years and, again, YOU nor anyone else have any clue what you are talking about and what is going here. You weren't there and DO NOT know the full facts of what occurred.

But hell, COPS and CSI told you all you need to know...

Old 12-02-2011, 04:07 PM

Everyone have a donut & chill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or