Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 01:18 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,584,391 times

Advertisements

[quote=goldengrain;24833241]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post

Well, many religions state that after we die we do a life review. I think Catholics say something about our sins being reviewed at that time. Other disciplines say we do a 'live through' of the other person's grief that we caused them while alive. We stand in their shoes and feel what they felt and have full realization of the damage that we did. We do this through access to the 'akashic' record of our lives. Some mystical groups, like the Theosophists, believe in this. The records are supposed to contain an imprint of the history of the world.

I think evolved beings of any religion, atheists too, who are more sensitive of others are probably keying into something of these records which is helping them to lead a better life.
Sort of like a review, "what goes around comes around". Interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 10:28 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,137,510 times
I think putting a needle in someone, especially if they were tired of prison and wanted to die is doable. I would not even want to witness an electric chair execution, let alone flip the switch. The people that witnessed the electrocution of Allen Lee Davis in FL in 99....I don't see how they could ever sleep well at night again, it was horrific.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:38 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,875,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Buzzcut View Post
I think putting a needle in someone, especially if they were tired of prison and wanted to die is doable. I would not even want to witness an electric chair execution, let alone flip the switch. The people that witnessed the electrocution of Allen Lee Davis in FL in 99....I don't see how they could ever sleep well at night again, it was horrific.
The families of the victims of those put to death for terrible crimes, who typically are allowed to be witnesses to the execution, sleep very well after witnessing the event, probably the best they ever had after enduring the crime within their family. It tends to be a closure to a family tradgedy.

Public executions in the previous age tended to be public events - families would attend, bring the children, it would be a carnival type atmosphere.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:46 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,707,381 times
I don't see death as a bad thing and sometimes in the situation you must exercise lethal force for self preservation reasons. That is the ONLY reason I see as justifiable.

I don't believe in death row just because of how many people have been falsely accused and you don't learn anything from it to give back to society. You just remove a person who did bad things while neglecting to learn of and correct the source of this mentality. Mental health is in its infancy still and people have been doing horrible things since the dawn of time. I think now is the time to take a step in evolution and understand why. The monkey brained bash you since you bashed me does nothing for anyone. There will always be more criminal minds in waiting.

I think all who have claimed mental illness and got off light should be implanted with tracking chips. I also think sex offenders and repeat offenders should be implanted with tracking chips. There should be a task force to monitor these people remotely. In the future when it is cheaper it would be interesting if they could fit these offenders with a device similar to pacemakers of today. The new pacemakers can be accessed remotely. If the criminal is in a situation where he is a danger the pacemaker could be accessed remotely and trigger a heart attack, shutting them down. Or maybe an implant in the brain that would send electrical signals triggering a seizure to shut them down.
It could give past criminals a real chance to change if they really are going to start being a positive person in the world.
I think citizens may feel safer knowing that these dangerous criminals are fit with such devices and are constantly being monitored.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:30 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,963,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
The families of the victims of those put to death for terrible crimes, who typically are allowed to be witnesses to the execution, sleep very well after witnessing the event, probably the best they ever had after enduring the crime within their family. It tends to be a closure to a family tradgedy.

Public executions in the previous age tended to be public events - families would attend, bring the children, it would be a carnival type atmosphere.
I don't think it is good for civilization to witness such things. I think it hardens us and makes us more animal and less than human.

I am not, here, arguing against the death penalty (just, that we must be careful not to kill innocents). I am undecided. There are some crimes that just seem so horrendous - and some people who probably never can be reformed with the limited knowledge that we now have. I do think we must not execute, at any rate, without absolute certainty.

I am not even sure that those who really want to die should not be allowed to.

All I am doing is saying that killing others often leaves a residue that follows people. Maybe it is when we kill the innocent. There are innocent people on death rows. We know that. People across the lines, firing at each other in wars could probably be friends in another time and place. Are such deaths just? Could we, had fate decreed otherwise, not have been born 'the enemy'?

Maybe when innocent people are executed there is something that follows us.

Last edited by goldengrain; 06-28-2012 at 05:50 PM..

Old 07-31-2012, 08:40 AM

This is an article about military drone pilots.

“There was good reason for killing the people that I did, and I go through it in my head over and over and over,” said Will, an Air Force officer who was a pilot at Creech and now trains others at Holloman. “But you never forget about it. It never just fades away, I don’t think — not for me.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/30/us...pagewanted=all

Even people who are trained and 'know' that their kills are justified in some way and who have therapy afterward, still are haunted by what they have done.

This has nothing to do with politics or being soft on crime. I, personally, think there are people who the planet would be relieved to be rid of; but it is about those who took the job of killing these people, who thought it was the right thing to do and knew that they could handle killing a 'guilty' person, and still cannot escape the memories of doing so.

These innocent and civic/patriotic minded people should not have to go through lives as even further victims of crazed murderers, terrorists, criminals. Can't we find a better way?

Last edited by goldengrain; 07-31-2012 at 08:54 AM..

Old 07-31-2012, 11:20 AM

2,037 posts, read 2,989,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
PTSD certainly does exist, but not all warriors that experience combat experience PTSD, certainly not to the degree experienced by your uncle, and the vast majority return to lead normal lives.

However, and this is a fact that never gets often repeated, most military men that serve in combat zones during time of war never ever hear or fire a shot in anger, ever. The ratio of support troops to combat troops is something like 10 to 1, which means for every 10 soldiers that went to vietnam or Iraq, only 1 served in combat, the rest were cooks, drivers, maintanance men, warehouse workers, IT guys, etc. That is a fact, think about that. Now, I don't have to tell you of the number of people returning from a war zone that want to exagerrate there war times experiences and perhaps blame it for other human weaknesses when they return, when all they saw of war was sitting behind a PC in an airconditioned office in the green zone. That's just human nature. Not to say they still need don't need to be commended. They were away from home still doing a difficulat job. That's also not to say, for the other 10%, that they did not experience traumatic events.
wasn't Pvt. Lynch a cook or motorpool clerk?

there are a lot of fobbits and it's not like trench warfare of 1915 but indirect fire and IEDs are no joke.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:12 PM

78,326 posts, read 60,517,579 times
In some cases I think it just makes people reflect upon their own mortality which troubles them greatly.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
In some cases I think it just makes people reflect upon their own mortality which troubles them greatly.
I would hope that would be the case, but remember that these folks undergo therapy. Such self induced reflection based thoughts are usually able to be reasoned out with several good sessions.

They say these disturbing memories continue to plague them, even in spite of therapy.

You are being logical, but there may be something deeper here.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:36 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,663,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Buzzcut View Post
Really? You would have trouble killing that?

Allen Lee Davis (July 20, 1944 – July 8, 1999) was a murderer executed for the May 11, 1982 Jacksonville, Floridamurder of Nancy Weiler, who was three months pregnant at the time. According to reports, Nancy Weiler was "beaten almost beyond recognition" by Davis with a .357 Magnum, and hit over 25 times in the face and head.

He was also convicted of killing Nancy Weiler's two daughters, Kristina (9, shot twice in the face) and Katherine (5, shot as she was trying to run away). Davis was on parole for armed robbery at the time of the murders. He was executed on July 8, 1999.

Allen Lee Davis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime