U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 11:32 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,626,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Really? You would have trouble killing that?

Allen Lee Davis (July 20, 1944 July 8, 1999) was a murderer executed for the May 11, 1982 Jacksonville, Floridamurder of Nancy Weiler, who was three months pregnant at the time. According to reports, Nancy Weiler was "beaten almost beyond recognition" by Davis with a .357 Magnum, and hit over 25 times in the face and head.

He was also convicted of killing Nancy Weiler's two daughters, Kristina (9, shot twice in the face) and Katherine (5, shot as she was trying to run away). Davis was on parole for armed robbery at the time of the murders. He was executed on July 8, 1999.

Allen Lee Davis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yes I would, in that manner. Is more blood, violence and gore supposed to satisfy me somehow? Sorry, there are no pleasure receptors in my brain that would be excited by witnessing this violence. Nothing was accomplished here that a needle couldn't have taken care of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 07:10 PM

5,230 posts, read 7,507,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Yes. Jesus said to turn the other cheek and to love your enemy as yourself.
I think he very literally meant what he said.
He spoke metaphorically alot. Turning your cheek & loving your enemy have a place, but its not at the moment your enemy is trying to kill you.

Quote:
I don't think we should lose track of that as an ideal, even though we fight back.
I'll agree with that.

Quote:
I think it is unhealthy to distort religious teachings just because we need a way to rationalize our not being strong enough to live up to them.
So do I, but I think its wrong to distort them because the truth is not the same as what we would like to pretend it is.

Quote:
I do believe some people have no respect for anything but force and power. There are those in this world who are without conscience. You cannot appeal to their sense of compassion because they would really not know what you are talking about. It is like we look the same but they are very different animals.
Yup & when faced with such a person determined to do you harm turning the other cheek might just mean YOU die.

Quote:
I just think we should, before anything else, try to remediate situations, try to rehabilitate, try to reform. Our problem is that therapists and law enforcement seem not to really know who will re offend and who will not.
Thing is if you are faced with a person such as you described above somebody had to die before you get to rehabilitate or reform. Where is the justice in a murderer walking free simply because they convinced some shrink they were sorry about it?

Old 08-04-2012, 08:27 PM

424 posts, read 534,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datafeed View Post
I've shot two men before in Iraq but am not sure if they expired..did not stick around to verify.

I don't feel bad about it at all and never think about it except when I am in a bar telling stories.
Ugh. Well, there are those people who sign up to kill people for a living, and there are those that don't.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:32 PM

424 posts, read 534,604 times
One thing worth thinking about that when we have capital punishment here, it's carried out with a lot of pomp and circumstance. The person is on death row for a decade or more, they spend years contemplating their lives (maybe that's being optimistic, but they at least think about their upcoming deaths), they live lives full of routine and order, and they are eventually killed in front of an audience after a prayer service and last rites.

People in real life don't die that way. They're shot by strangers on the street, they're hit by drunk drivers before they know what hit them, and they're stabbed in parks without anyone recording their last words.

I don't support the death penalty, and don't believe the government should be in the business of killing people. However, the "death with dignity" basically given to killers, rapists, lifelong gang members, and all other sorts of low lifes, is a disgrace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime