U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 10:21 AM

12,408 posts, read 16,475,201 times

Advertisements

What is it about killing another human that actually changes lives? I would think that capital punishment would be something a person just does, and then it's over, forgotten - that is, when you are CERTAIN that the person is guilty. (Not always the case, in Indiana one third were freed by DNA testing).

I saw a documentary the other day. A warden was interviewed. He had had to have executed several people. He said it literally haunted him. He saw these people around his bed as he slept - often. He said it is a point not often discussed, but from his discussions with others involved in these legal executions of criminals, the same thing happened.

In the same production a killer was interviewed in prison. He had, while a teen, palled around with a serial killer. He helped with some of the murders to impress the guy (the psychologist said this kid probably would not have killed had he not met with the psycho - he was not motivated the same way, but had a 'pack' mentality. Many kids in high school go through such a stage). This fellow said the killings changed him. They 'haunt' him. There is not one aspect of you that is not in some way affected by murder.

Then, the new information out is that the biggest predictor of PTSD is not the witnessing of some horrific thing, but that you killed another human being:
Study: PTSD rates higher for troops who kill

This is something weird to throw in, but a book I read about the Mexican drug gangs said many belong to non traditional religions and believe that in taking a human life, that soul is somehow tied to yours, which you can use for increased power.

I do not believe in traditional religions, but from these tales I would think that there may be something, perhaps of a spiritual nature, but something that changes a person - that taking a human life has a different effect than the killing or another animal.

I doubt if any of us here have had the experience. I know many will attribute the reaction to our being instructed in the rights and wrongs of a civilized society, but I think this cannot be the entire story because the dark spot in the soul seems to occur irrespective of the innocence or guilt of the person who is killed.

I am thinking that capital punishment may be a bad thing, not for murdering the guilty, but for the horror that it creates in the lives of those who do the executing.

Anyway, I thought this might be start a good discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 10:29 AM

7,972 posts, read 10,089,804 times
I agree, you always get people (me also) saying kill the monster etc but would you gladly be the 1 to inject the dose? I know I wouldn't be.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:03 AM

13,900 posts, read 10,783,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
I agree, you always get people (me also) saying kill the monster etc but would you gladly be the 1 to inject the dose? I know I wouldn't be.
Just depends.....

There are some cases, not many, that I would gladly insert the the needle and dont think it would bother me one iota.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:22 PM

7,972 posts, read 10,089,804 times
I'd gladly lock them up, but kill them? Someone would have to do something terrible to me or someone close to me to PERSONALLY extinguish their lives!

Old 12-03-2011, 12:26 PM

16,133 posts, read 20,819,764 times
Take the green solution, donate their organs to someone who can use them

Old 12-03-2011, 12:50 PM

668 posts, read 1,904,852 times
Its called a 'concious'.. It gives you compassion and empathy for your fellow human being. That inner voice within you, that tells you the things you should know, but, when you go against it, it tends to haunt you for all the wrong decisions that you have made.

Personally, I have weapons in my home. Mainly because of all the silliness that is going on around the Country and in my area... People breaking into homes, injuring or killing people over useless items that they can sell quickly to someone.

My life is precoious to me, as my Family is more precious than my own. But, if push comes to shove, I would shoot someone who broke into my home and threatened them.

It would destroy me, knowing I took a life. My concious would always be working overtime, thinking 'what if this or what if that' may have happened, could I have done something different? Could I have avoided this? Will I ever get over this?????

Taking a life in a war zone is different, its either you or the enemy, and they are so unpredictable, because you never know 'who' it is that will aim a weapon at you and your on adreneline all the time, worrying if this is going to be the day they ship you out in a box!! Your jumpy, nervous, and ready to kill someone, just to get off the adrenelin 'high', to bring down the nerves, after the battle.

Being at home, when your not pressed into a high 'stress' situation, you have time to reflect on what could, would, should, or may eventually happen and try to take any and all actions to prevent any type of intrusion into our abode.

Some people are 'wired wrong' as I call it, and dont seem to have a concious. They go with what ever it is that they feel, and have no regrets...
Those are the people that scare me half to death, because they could kill you, with out the least iota of compassion for you or anyone else.

Just my two cents for what its worth, and a wee bit more for the collection plate

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 12-04-2011, 01:59 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,301,860 times
Killing anyone is why the recent wars bother me so bad. Some of the young men and women will never get over what they have experienced in Iraq and Afghanistan.

My husband was in the Vietnam war ... he returned home and never talked about it at all. He proceeded to drink himself to death. He finally realized that he was killing himself and has been dry since 1986 one day at a time. He has no problems now discussing Vietnam.

Our best friend is not so fortunate. He was in the infantry and had to kill or be killed. After a few years the nightmares started. He went through pure hell for years until about ten years ago he reached out for help.

Our neighbor was a big time hunter. He was deer hunting and accidentally killed another hunter. The man died in his arms telling him "it's OK buddy,I know you didn't mean to do it." Neighbor got rid of every weapon and crossbow he owned. He spent every day sitting in a rocking chair staring out the bedroom window. He had a breakdown and spent six months in a mental institution. He and wife divorced and he moved out of state.

I could not be an executioner nor witness an execution. But we firmly believe in the right to bear arms and should any pond scum break into our home we do have an arsenal.

I recall the execution in Utah last year (June 2010.) Ronnie Lee Gardner chose the firing squad over lethal injection. Utah is the only state left that offers the firing squad. Five anonymous police officers used Winchester rifles. One rifle had a non-lethal wax bullet in it so they would not know who fired the fatal shot. After the execution the prison had commemorative coins made up for the prison staff that participated in the execution.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:26 AM

22,506 posts, read 11,590,788 times
I believe Coleen Reed should have been able to wash her car withiut being killed by a homicidal maniac released from death row.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:20 AM

2,037 posts, read 2,553,727 times
I've shot two men before in Iraq but am not sure if they expired..did not stick around to verify.

I don't feel bad about it at all and never think about it except when I am in a bar telling stories.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:11 AM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 17 days ago)

8,681 posts, read 10,836,637 times
The sickos who do bad crimes--there probably is a reason for them to get capital punishment. Whoever gives the injection/whatever else is just fulfilling their sentence--it's not personal. It's their sentence that has to be carried from the courts.
War is a different ball of wax. Soldiers have a job to do. That's war--there shouldn't be any "true" guilt--they have no choice. But, regardless of even knowing that, they suffer internally because most humans have a conscience. As a child, you're taught killing is wrong. As a soldier, they have to turn that idea off in their head. It's very heartbreaking and I feel nothing but empathy for their situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime