U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 05:43 AM

3,000 posts, read 6,492,411 times

Advertisements

Just because I suspect this missing little Hispanic girl will not get the attention that a missing little white girl would receive, I'm posting her story here:

Search continues for missing 7-year-old Canton girl *| ajc.com

Jorelys Rivera has been missing from her metro-Atlanta apartment complex for over 48 hours. She is a beautiful little girl and I'm praying for her safe return to her family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 09:33 AM

52,081 posts, read 41,881,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Just because I suspect this missing little Hispanic girl will not get the attention that a missing little white girl would receive, I'm posting her story here:

Jorelys Rivera has been missing from her metro-Atlanta apartment complex for over 48 hours. She is a beautiful little girl and I'm praying for her safe return to her family.
I hope in time you come to realize just how racist and offensive your post is. Yep, us white folk don't care about that poor little girl?

Quote:
The 50-member team, made up of GBI agents, Georgia State Patrol troopers, Department of Natural Resources rangers and other state officers, was helping look for Jorelys Rivera, last seen at an apartment complex in Canton.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I hope in time you come to realize just how racist and offensive your post is. Yep, us white folk don't care about that poor little girl?
I'm about as white as they come, but I perceive disparities in how the media reports missing children. It was not a reflection on white people, black people or Hispanic people, just a reflection on how a missing child's story is told.

I am pleased that CNN is reporting this. That's all...

Old 12-05-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
I'm about as white as they come, but I perceive disparities in how the media reports missing children. It was not a reflection on white people, black people or Hispanic people, just a reflection on how a missing child's story is told.

I am pleased that CNN is reporting this. That's all...
Well, sadly with as many children that go missing only the most bizarre or salacious etc get the full blown "Nancy Grace" treatment.

Anymore it seems to be cases where the parents are suspected or something similar that makes it *shocking* as opposed to kid A walks to park and disappears.

Note however that in cases where the parents are suspected you run into an interesting double standard where if Casey Anthony were black etc. and the media went after her like they did CA.....you'd get cries of racism.

Nothing like a train-wreck between a media circus and political correctness eh?

Old 12-05-2011, 03:27 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,761,566 times
I will agree, that news media does tend to sensationalize some missing children, and ignore others. Hopefully this child will be found.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:49 PM

Sadly, Jorelys' body was found today in a dumpster - severely beaten and assaulted. So, so tragic....

Old 12-05-2011, 06:24 PM

13,900 posts, read 10,802,513 times
Quote:

And here we go again take it to the P&OC board where all the other racialy bias threads are, that sorta thing seems to fly over there. You could have posted a perfectly good thread if not for the racial overtones. Maybe even had a good dialogue about this missing little girl { or WAS missing the way Iunderstand it to be now } but instead this thread will take the tragic turnm of discussing how little hispanic or black girls dont get the same attention as "little white gorls".

Quote:
Note however that in cases where the parents are suspected you run into an interesting double standard where if Casey Anthony were black etc. and the media went after her like they did CA.....you'd get cries of racism.
?
So true. Its a double edged knife.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:27 PM

13,900 posts, read 10,802,513 times
Quote:
Well, sadly with as many children that go missing only the most bizarre or salacious etc get the full blown "Nancy Grace" treatment.

Anymore it seems to be cases where the parents are suspected or something similar that makes it *shocking* as opposed to kid A walks to park and disappears.

Nothing like a train-wreck between a media circus and political correctness eh?
It's because those are the cases that are most popular after the casey anthony fiasco.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:28 PM

6,589 posts, read 6,836,312 times
Jane Velez and Nancy Grace are both covering it...but they didn't help Baby Lisa or Kyron or just fill in the blank!

Old 12-06-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Sadly, Jorelys' body was found today in a dumpster - severely beaten and assaulted. So, so tragic....
Probably going to turn out to be a repeat offender like the 50ish guy that abducted the girl in FL a couple years back after getting out on parole and moving into her trailer park with relatives.

Thank god for DNA testing....they will get that THING eventually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or