U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Sandusky, Full Trial?
Full Trial 23 69.70%
Plea Deal 10 30.30%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 07:55 AM

12,351 posts, read 7,530,097 times

Advertisements

The original invesigation into Sandusky's activities came from an organization unique to Pennsylvania called Children and Youth Services. That agency is an arm of the county Domestic Courts, and the Sandusky inquiry did not start in Centre County (Bellefonte/State College) but in neighboring Clinton County (Lock Haven).

There was a book written a couple of years ago by a lawyer in Berks County (Reading) about CYS operating as an independent network and taking an agressive stance with its authority. I've obtained a copy and will be doing some research. It appears that it will be a while before the case finds its way into court.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 02-13-2012 at 08:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 11:40 AM

9,917 posts, read 9,317,770 times
At the Sandusky court hearing on Feb 10 when he ask the judge for visitation with his grandsons they said the trial date was set for May 14. Judge John Cleland has to rule on a change of venue and the request to visit the grandsons. A change of venue would change the trial date.

I thought one of the grandsons or foster/adopted boys had come forward with a charge of sexual abuse too.

It seems Sandusky sits on his back porch which is 100 yards from an elementary school. A neighbor and parents from the school have complained that Sandusky was too close to the children.

No matter what happens ... forevermore parents are going to yank up their children and run the other way if they encounter Sandusky.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:46 PM

8,178 posts, read 16,564,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
Yes it's his right ... the great American way ... Justice for all.

Are you from Pinellas County?

lol This thought crossed my mind also...he might just make out like CA with a full trial.

Just for that reason alone, if I were in his shoes I'd be tempted to for-go a deal.

I'm curious as to what he chooses.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:57 PM

9,917 posts, read 9,317,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
lol This thought crossed my mind also...he might just make out like CA with a full trial.

Just for that reason alone, if I were in his shoes I'd be tempted to for-go a deal.

I'm curious as to what he chooses.
He is acting so piously arrogant I think he will go for a trial. It will be difficult for the young men that are accusing him to testify. I know that will be hard on them. But it could be good for them to face and confront their molester and tell their horror stories. It won't be televised which is good.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:09 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,767,200 times
I just hope that there is a land slide of evidence. It is bad enough to be a victim of sexual abuse, but even worse to be doubted about the veracity of your verbal account. I knew a young woman, who testified against a serial child rapist, she was an adult when she testified, but he was charged with raping other little girls. Anyway, the defense team went after her with a vengence, going into her drug use (she used drugs to self medicate), and then started asking her about therapy, and brought in "experts" to refute her statements with testimony about "false memories"...

She was a wreck for months after the whole thing.

And the child rapist? Free. The attorney's made him out to be an innocent bystander, in a chain of circumstances that made him "look" guilty...

Old 02-16-2012, 10:12 PM

16,023 posts, read 19,731,087 times
I think he will get a deal. I wish there would be a trail, for closure and a day in court for some of these victims. Lots probably wouldn't want to, but some surely are hoping to be able to say how they feel.
I hope if he gets a deal, it is a lengthy sentence. I am not a hater, but crimes like this need to be punished.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:51 PM

12,351 posts, read 7,530,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I think he will get a deal. I wish there would be a trail, for closure and a day in court for some of these victims. Lots probably wouldn't want to, but some surely are hoping to be able to say how they feel.
I hope if he gets a deal, it is a lengthy sentence. I am not a hater, but crimes like this need to be punished.
Things have been fairly quiet for several weeks in Happy Valley; and I suspect that quite a few more months will pass before the case goes to trial.

My personal view remains that Sandusky likely is guilty of some of the charges, but that in the storm of anger brought about during the early revealations; these may have been exaggerated for personal or ideological reasons by some of the parties involved.

At this point, the only figures relevant to the truth are Sandusky and McQueary; the former continues to taunt the media, the latter remains silent.

In Pennsylvania, it's no secret that Children and Youth Services has alienated a lot of people -- it goes with the territory. As a natural result, they are viewed as clannish. and there are undoubtedly some within their ranks who subscribe to a strong agenda.

The general attack on Penn State snd its program, rather than on the culpability of individual wrongdoers, has provoked a backlash -- and I am referring to the high turnout of alumni at local mettings, not the petty skirmish on he streets of State College.

Anyone accused of a crime, no matter how heinous, deserves full knowledge of the identity of his accuser(s). And when an institution with a valuable and long-standing reputation to uphold is similarly targeted for what may prove to be ideological, and possibly, pecuniary reasons, the public deserves to be simiarly informed.

I maintain that there is much more to be brought to light.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:27 AM

1,739 posts, read 1,762,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Things have been fairly quiet for several weeks in Happy Valley; and I suspect that quite a few more months will pass before the case goes to trial.

My personal view remains that Sandusky likely is guilty of some of the charges, but that in the storm of anger brought about during the early revealations; these may have been exaggerated for personal or ideological reasons by some of the parties involved.

At this point, the only figures relevant to the truth are Sandusky and McQueary; the former continues to taunt the media, the latter remains silent.

In Pennsylvania, it's no secret that Children and Youth Services has alienated a lot of people -- it goes with the territory. As a natural result, they are viewed as clannish. and there are undoubtedly some within their ranks who subscribe to a strong agenda.

The general attack on Penn State snd its program, rather than on the culpability of individual wrongdoers, has provoked a backlash -- and I am referring to the high turnout of alumni at local mettings, not the petty skirmish on he streets of State College.

Anyone accused of a crime, no matter how heinous, deserves full knowledge of the identity of his accuser(s). And when an institution with a valuable and long-standing reputation to uphold is similarly targeted for what may prove to be ideological, and possibly, pecuniary reasons, the public deserves to be simiarly informed.

I maintain that there is much more to be brought to light.
I totally agree, and esp. about C&Y. I've unfortunately seen how inept and self-righteous they can be. I've actually know our local agency has at times, done more harm than good.
I still can't believe Sandusky's lawyer seemingly has no problem with his public behavior. I would have told him 'shut-up" or I'm gone.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:13 AM

33,944 posts, read 42,240,040 times
If I remember the request by the District Attorney for either a change of venue or an non-Centre County jury was denied a week or two ago.

I have the feeling that Sanduskey's behavior is designed to pollute any jury pool. No jury can be seated, no trial.

Paterno is dead and beyond retribution or criticism.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 02-21-2012 at 04:34 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-21-2012, 04:29 AM

6,589 posts, read 6,837,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
If I remember the reqest bt the District Attorney for either a change of venue or an non-Centre County jury was denied a week or two ago.

I have the feeling that Sanduskey's behavior is designed to pollute any jury pool. No jury can be seated, no trial.

Paterno is dead and beyond retribution or criticism.
Well only from this world...I believe God will have some retribution and criticism to measure out to Joe Pa...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or