U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Sandusky, Full Trial?
Full Trial 23 69.70%
Plea Deal 10 30.30%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 12:53 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,760,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Interesting perspective CW. Will he walk away scott free? Is there enough evidence, witnesses, and other information to convict? The bar is pretty high on "proof" and evidence in child molestation cases, which is why pedophiles get away with so much, prior to be caught. Things are often "reported", but not to the point of charges and court appearances. Most parents just want the whole thing over, and don't want their children involved in testifying.
And a lot of people take pleas whether they are innocent or guilty. Why? Because it's awful hard to prove a negative.
In PA there needs be nothing more than accusation by a minor under 13 OR a party who claims they were under 13 at the time of the alleged crime...so I would have to argue against the bar being all that high.
If he walks, it's because of his antics and or other factors, which is shameful when there are plenty of others (some of which aren't guilty) who were either backed into taking a plea or found guilty for far less, and with far less evidence than there seems to be in this case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 04:07 PM

33,897 posts, read 42,143,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
The judge seems to be under the impression he can find a jury there in Centre County. I don't think so ... Sandusky's name like OJ and Anthony is well known across the country.

Can't Sandusky's defense team request no jury and the judge hear the case? With the things the judge has approved thus far ... visits with grandchildren, visits with 12 friends, allowed to sit on back porch and leer at the elementary school yard as the children play, leave his home to assist his defense team (assist defense team doing what????)

He's going to end up walking away from this! I hope I am wrong.
Yeah, they could. But with a jury you have 12 people and you only have to confuse 1 to have a hung jury. Judges are usually harder to do that to.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:28 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,306,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Interesting perspective CW. Will he walk away scott free? Is there enough evidence, witnesses, and other information to convict? The bar is pretty high on "proof" and evidence in child molestation cases, which is why pedophiles get away with so much, prior to be caught. Things are often "reported", but not to the point of charges and court appearances. Most parents just want the whole thing over, and don't want their children involved in testifying.
At least most of the young men accusing Sandusky have reached adulthood. A trial would give them each a chance to look Sandusky straight in the eye and tell the world what he did to them and perhaps how it has affected their lives.

My children are all grown and living out on their own but as a mother I would have a difficult time allowing a young child of mine to testify.

The problem with the Sandusky case now is McQuery changing his story. Not seeing anything but Sandusky and kid in shower ... then seeing Sandusky and kid having anal sex ... then just hearing the noise against the shower wall. Sandusky's attorney will certainly use that and I don't know what the Grand Jury will do ... they have one version.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or