Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 02:55 PM

14,496 posts, read 26,517,064 times

Advertisements

Have read alot on this case, does anyone have new thoughts, suspects. Steve Hodel, LA detective seems to think that his father was the culprit, he has a new book out there with articles concerning his fathers guilt. There is also speculation regarding Chicago's serial killer, during the same era, who may have killed Beth Short.

Just wondering if there are any new theories or suspects. She died a horrible death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 03:57 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,498,771 times
This thread caught my eye and it is right up my alley. I have for some dark and disturbing reason been fascinated by the case of the Black Dahlia. After reading some things and watching some interview with Steve Hodel I honestly think he is onto something. I think he has uncovered some very interesting clues and given his fathers background IMO many of the clues point to his father. I also would like to hear other opinions about this story.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:26 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,240,888 times
I haven't read up on anything about the Black Dahlia for a long time, but I'll probably look up Steve Hodel. Haven't heard of him.

I remember the first time I read about the Dahlia. It was a few decades ago, and the article provided explicit, shocking photos of her split body as was found. I needn't go into details about that, but I remember the creepy awe and fascination I felt from those photos, to realize that there are people out there among us who can do horrible things.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tookey View Post
This thread caught my eye and it is right up my alley. I have for some dark and disturbing reason been fascinated by the case of the Black Dahlia. After reading some things and watching some interview with Steve Hodel I honestly think he is onto something. I think he has uncovered some very interesting clues and given his fathers background IMO many of the clues point to his father. I also would like to hear other opinions about this story.
Yes, did you see him on ID...investigation? His father was apparently a surgeon and also a very...well strange character. That house he grew up in was bizarre. But James Ellroy (who also wrote "L.A. Confidential") had a special on HBO a few years ago he started going through various theories of who the culprit was....Its such a sad and strange story.

There was one theory I forget the author, but he theorized that Beth Short was in Chicago during the "lipstick killer" murder spree (circa 1 year before her murder) and that she became friendly with reporters and may have had some inside information on who THAT killer was, which led to him catching up with her in L.A.

She apparently traveled and led a transient life, so she would meet reporters, homicide detectives, etc. And there were stories she went to The Jack Carson show when it was televised with Steve Hodel, so she knew alot of those people. Such an intriguing and sad story.

addendum: Gary Heirens was the Cleveland serial murderer, labeled the "lipstick killer". He is still alive in a Chicago jail today.

Last edited by dreamofmonterey; 08-30-2010 at 10:28 AM.. Reason: add info

Old 08-30-2010, 05:18 PM

I had also read up on the artist Man Ray, who supposedly knew Dr Hodel...they socialized etc....man Ray had such strange tastes, and his art reflected that...though one person who knew him in Paris stated that Dr Hodel claimed to be good friends with him, and that it wasnt really true...there are just so many bizarre stories connected to the murder its surprising there havent been even more true crime books written.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:46 PM

6,401 posts, read 8,922,993 times
Hodel's book was creepy and an amazing read. To my knowledge no one has cried foul over the book. James Ellroy probably knows more about the murder than anyone outside the law and he's content with Hodel's theory.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:12 PM

I guess I will have to read Hodels book- Ellroy is an excellent writer and I guess he grew up in the area? The ID series was convincing, Tamar Hodel was the drs. daughter who lives in Hawaii now, she claimed that she was abused by him and others in the Hollywood circle of friends. They also had actress/singer Michelle Phillips who knew the Hodels.... A very sad story if even only parts of it are true, and in those days people didnt go public with those stories, so it seems accurate.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:05 PM

6,401 posts, read 8,922,993 times
I might pass on Hodel's new book. According to reviews I've been reading he claims his father may have also been the Zodiac w/o offering any kind of proof.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Yes, did you see him on ID...investigation? His father was apparently a surgeon and also a very...well strange character. That house he grew up in was bizarre. But James Ellroy (who also wrote "L.A. Confidential") had a special on HBO a few years ago he started going through various theories of who the culprit was....Its such a sad and strange story.

There was one theory I forget the author, but he theorized that Beth Short was in Chicago during the "lipstick killer" murder spree (circa 1 year before her murder) and that she became friendly with reporters and may have had some inside information on who THAT killer was, which led to him catching up with her in L.A.

She apparently traveled and led a transient life, so she would meet reporters, homicide detectives, etc. And there were stories she went to The Jack Carson show when it was televised with Steve Hodel, so she knew alot of those people. Such an intriguing and sad story.

addendum: Gary Heirens was the Cleveland serial murderer, labeled the "lipstick killer". He is still alive in a Chicago jail today.
Just got back to this thread I am glad I did this is very interesting.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:41 PM

Does anyone in your opinion think this crime will ever be solved. It is a strange story indeed. I did read where a great deal of evidence was either lost or destroyed. I can't remember where I read that so please correct me if I am wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime