Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2011, 10:26 PM

21 posts, read 36,301 times

Advertisements

I have noticed that some cities in the northeast have low crime rates, BUT when crime does occur the police hardly ever catch the criminals. The police only respond to the aftermath, and rarely react to crimes in progress. There is actually a saying we have “it’s not illegal unless they catch you”. Then I hear about places in the sun belt like California that have average or high crime rates, BUT the police can catch anyone doing anything illegal. Are prisons in California full because of high crime rates OR are the police good at catching criminals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 12:52 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,971,076 times
A lot of police don't record crimes on their blotters, so it looks like they have a high solve rate. It is up to each state to report crime as they see fit. I mean, you cannot without difficulty, compare two states because there is no federal mandate that they each record and report crime in the same way.

My husband, at dusk in the Union Square area of NYC was held up. He made a fist with his keys in it, sticking out and punched the guy hard. The fellow was not used to opposition and ran, dropping the wallet he was given. He left a trail of blood. My husband was not going to report this, not having much faith in the New York police, but I nagged him into doing it. The police took down the info, said there was a rash of things happening in the neighborhood and they appreciated his input. Maybe a week later my husband saw the perp in a park in prison duds with some others picking up trash with a cop overseeing the activity.

The police did tell my husband that there was also someone in the lower part of the City. They called him something like 'Silver Avenger'. He was an old guy who knew martial arts and would lure perps into trying to rob him and then beat them up.

All of our interactions with the police in NYC have been very positive. I remember how bad they were in the years before 911 and there is a HUGE improvement. They seem much more professional and dedicated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime