U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2012, 01:38 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,469,997 times

Advertisements

West Stockholm, New York -- December 29, 2011

A North Country woman is accused of stealing money from sex crime victims.

Brenda Thornton, 36, is facing grand larceny and forgery charges after she allegedly embezzled $16,000 from Citizens Against Violent Acts, a nonprofit group that helps sex crime victims.

According to the Plattsburgh Press-Republican, the West Stockholm, N.Y., woman forged checks to herself while she was working for the nonprofit.
__________________________________________________ ______________
Quite simply put, I do not understand what possesses people to do things like this? Wouldn't it be great to have some kind of "employment test" that could uncover certain well-hidden traits of a potential employee.... jeez!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 02:26 PM

16,085 posts, read 23,958,316 times
Hmmm....Is there a test for those with no conscience?

Old 01-03-2012, 03:15 PM

10,618 posts, read 13,193,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Hmmm....Is there a test for those with no conscience?
Making victims out of victims. What a piece of trash!

Old 01-06-2012, 08:19 AM

7,112 posts, read 9,377,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaple View Post
West Stockholm, New York -- December 29, 2011

A North Country woman is accused of stealing money from sex crime victims.

Brenda Thornton, 36, is facing grand larceny and forgery charges after she allegedly embezzled $16,000 from Citizens Against Violent Acts, a nonprofit group that helps sex crime victims.

According to the Plattsburgh Press-Republican, the West Stockholm, N.Y., woman forged checks to herself while she was working for the nonprofit.
__________________________________________________ ______________
Quite simply put, I do not understand what possesses people to do things like this? Wouldn't it be great to have some kind of "employment test" that could uncover certain well-hidden traits of a potential employee.... jeez!

It's called GREED, my friend.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:38 PM

12,408 posts, read 16,519,404 times
I remember, a long time ago, working for a company that requested an automated customer refund system. The programmer said it was not good policy to have the employee who authorized refunds to be the same one to whom the cut checks were delivered, but the clever management nixed that and insisted on getting his way.

Sure enough, the woman in charge of the system was found to have taken millions over time. She suspected some investigation was going on and fled to Newfoundland, I think, that has no extradition to the US. I never heard more, whether they finally got her or not.

I don't think this made the news, but was handled through private investigators. Corporations do not like such things tarnishing their good name.

Last edited by goldengrain; 01-16-2012 at 01:43 PM..

Old 01-16-2012, 03:07 PM

27,092 posts, read 5,988,000 times
Thanks sugarmaple, for posting. While I despise having to read these kind of posts, I continue to do so and make an effort to share crimes on CD such as this. It keeps us on our toes. And hopefully informs others.

**She is a da#n scumball**

Why does it seem stealing from those most in need seems to be so common? In my city recently, a highly respected (well used to be...) man involved with the city animal no-kill group embezzled thousands....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or