U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-13-2012, 09:47 AM
 
Location: Native Floridian, USA
4,904 posts, read 6,115,047 times
Reputation: 6110

Advertisements

I think it is 2n degree murder and she will serve between 13 and 30 years. She has not been sentenced yet. She also had to agree to testify against Brandon.

Tyler is the brother. He is with a foster family and has no contact with any of the previous relatives. I know his step(?) grandfather, Rick Calhoun and family, wanted him.

Why would Corinne's sister be prosecuted ? She is the one who called Rick Calhoun, Dominicks grandfather, after she got out of the house. When Mr. Calhoun saw Brandon, he popped Brandon in the hallway, called 911, etc, etc. She says that Corinne is a liar and manipulative on the stand. I think so, too. After I watched the videos of her (Corinne) interview, I had no confidence in her. She accepted no responsibility. I cannot believe that any sane person could allow what happened to Dominick go on. She had opportunity to save him. Too bad Michigan doesn't have the death penalty for this "scumbag", Brandon, as you say. LWOP is not enough. He is a coward of the lowest order and a death penalty would scare him to insanity.....JMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-17-2012, 02:58 PM
 
Location: Native Floridian, USA
4,904 posts, read 6,115,047 times
Reputation: 6110
It appears as though this trial is going to wrap up sooner than expected. He is having his day in court and it doesn't look as though there is anything to refute what he did to this poor child. Closing arguments are Thursday. If he gets less than LWOP I think there would be a revolt and rightfully so.

Next, little Ethan Stacey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2012, 03:25 PM
 
9,911 posts, read 9,299,531 times
Reputation: 8048
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
I think it is 2n degree murder and she will serve between 13 and 30 years. She has not been sentenced yet. She also had to agree to testify against Brandon.

Tyler is the brother. He is with a foster family and has no contact with any of the previous relatives. I know his step(?) grandfather, Rick Calhoun and family, wanted him.

Why would Corinne's sister be prosecuted ? She is the one who called Rick Calhoun, Dominicks grandfather, after she got out of the house. When Mr. Calhoun saw Brandon, he popped Brandon in the hallway, called 911, etc, etc. She says that Corinne is a liar and manipulative on the stand. I think so, too. After I watched the videos of her (Corinne) interview, I had no confidence in her. She accepted no responsibility. I cannot believe that any sane person could allow what happened to Dominick go on. She had opportunity to save him. Too bad Michigan doesn't have the death penalty for this "scumbag", Brandon, as you say. LWOP is not enough. He is a coward of the lowest order and a death penalty would scare him to insanity.....JMO.
When this happened I understood Corrine's sister came to the house to buy drugs from Corrine and saw what was happening and didn't do one thing about it. I didn't realize she called the grandfather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2012, 04:38 PM
 
Location: Native Floridian, USA
4,904 posts, read 6,115,047 times
Reputation: 6110
Yeah, CW, in some places I have read that she waffled a bit but she ultimately called Mr. Calhoun. I meant to say, in my original post, that when Mr. Calhoun saw Dominick, he (Rick) took a swing (popped) at Brandon. Good for him. This has been really hard on the family.
I do wonder if his son, the bio father, was paying child support. Not that I mean anything by that other than I am a firm supporter of the noncustodial parent helping out with expenses.
Supposedly, a lot of it started with Brandon saying that he was tired of supporting everyone elses kid and that Dominick's Dad wasn't paying child support. It is a tragedy whatever was said. Poor little guy.
I cannot imagine losing a child in this fashion. I have lost a child, had someone very close to me commit suicide and had a close family member murdered but, this, IMO would be the worse kind of loss. I hope the family can find peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2012, 07:28 PM
 
Location: Native Floridian, USA
4,904 posts, read 6,115,047 times
Reputation: 6110
Quote:
...snipped....The strong statements come just after the last few witnesses finish testifying on behalf of the defense among them Dominick's grandmother Julie Baker. She told lawyers that her daughter, Corrine Baker, has struggled with drug abuse since age 13. She also testified that she had tried to convince her daughter to take the young boy for medical treatment the night the beatings allegedly first started taking place but Corrine Baker refused. The grandmother also admitted that she had tried to obtain custody of Dominick in the past believing that her daughter was neglectful.....snipped...
this just makes me madder and madder. I didn't know her family knew some of this was going on....unbelieveable. I wonder why she didn't press harder for Dominick if she knew she was neglectful.

Testimony ends in Brandon Hayes trial : News : miNBCnews.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2012, 08:15 PM
 
18,852 posts, read 31,698,893 times
Reputation: 26111
I always wonder when I see cases like this one, how come no one stepped in, I don't think this loser just went crazy beating Dominick this one time, it seems to me it is progressive, and escalates. No one reported this abuse prior? I am hyper sensitive to child abuse, and even stop people in my prescence from hitting children, I intervene, any time, and carefully look at the child for other visible bruises or marks. Once, I saw a woman hitting her child at Wal-Mart, I walked up to her, told her to stop. Everyone else in that crowded store was OBLIVIOUS to a child being physically beaten in front of them, they just averted their eyes, and completely ignored the whole thing!!! What is with that? Hitting children is not acceptable, nor should it be tolerated. And my issue is, if you beat your kid in front of others, what do you do when others are not around?

Zero tolerance for abuse in front of me, ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2012, 08:51 PM
 
9,911 posts, read 9,299,531 times
Reputation: 8048
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
this just makes me madder and madder. I didn't know her family knew some of this was going on....unbelieveable. I wonder why she didn't press harder for Dominick if she knew she was neglectful.

Testimony ends in Brandon Hayes trial : News : miNBCnews.com
I don't care much for dead beat dads either but it still appears to me the whole family both sides shares some of the blame for this child's death ...yes the pond scum beat him to death and the poor young brother was helpless he couldn't go one thing about it.

I am curious to see what the jury will do with this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2012, 10:58 AM
 
Location: Native Floridian, USA
4,904 posts, read 6,115,047 times
Reputation: 6110
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I always wonder when I see cases like this one, how come no one stepped in, I don't think this loser just went crazy beating Dominick this one time, it seems to me it is progressive, and escalates. No one reported this abuse prior? I am hyper sensitive to child abuse, and even stop people in my prescence from hitting children, I intervene, any time, and carefully look at the child for other visible bruises or marks. Once, I saw a woman hitting her child at Wal-Mart, I walked up to her, told her to stop. Everyone else in that crowded store was OBLIVIOUS to a child being physically beaten in front of them, they just averted their eyes, and completely ignored the whole thing!!! What is with that? Hitting children is not acceptable, nor should it be tolerated. And my issue is, if you beat your kid in front of others, what do you do when others are not around?

Zero tolerance for abuse in front of me, ever.
jasper, it won't let me rep you again but I wish I could. I do the same thing in WalMart and other public places. My daughters say I am going to be locked up some day but I say, "so be it". I can't stand back and hear or see the heartbroken or fearful tears and sobs of a child....my heart goes cold with anger at the perpetrator (?). I am one person but I will stand strong as I am sure you will, as well. It is all I can do.

And, CW, there is enough blame to go around........it usually is. No one wants to rock the boat until it is too late. At first, Corinne's family disowned her. I wonder if they are still taking that stand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2012, 05:55 PM
 
Location: Native Floridian, USA
4,904 posts, read 6,115,047 times
Reputation: 6110

Jury reaches guilty verdict in Brandon Hayes trial - WNEM TV 5 - YouTube


Dominick - YouTube

GUILTY on all 10 counts !!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2012, 06:14 PM
 
Location: New York City
2,814 posts, read 6,017,364 times
Reputation: 3164
Does anyone know anything about Brandon's background/childhood? I am having a hard time understanding how he was able to maintain that level of rage for days on end. Was this a drug induced psychosis? Is he just a sociopath, which I don't think, but I am not sure. I know nothing about his background and history. It goes without saying that this story is beyond awful. I can't even go there, so I am trying to look at this situation from a clinical perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top