U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 10:18 AM

2,429 posts, read 1,787,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
Being from Utah, it seems to be the top story on the news every night, however no details are given as to how this whole thing transpired. I am thinking the p.department wants it to go away also. There are alot of unanswered questions. My first one was why 6 officers? Sounds like this wasn't planned out very well.
There's no way to know what went right or wrong without reading the report. LE is typically silent in situations like this because the investigation may not be finished yet. the last thing they want to do is go out and make a whole bunch of statements, that could be contradicted when the investigation is complete. it's better to have all the facts - and then talk.

The number of officers involved depends on the task at hand. I've seen 6 Officers for 1 guy, I've seen 60 officers for 1 guy, it all depends on the situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
There is alot of controversy about "No-Knock" Search Warrants...cops think they are good, because it does not give criminals time to put stuff away, or get armed.

I am with Bideshi on this one, you storm into my home, screaming...you are gonna get shot first, questions later...with these days of people doing so many home invasions...how am I supposed to know you are cops?
Apparently it wasn't a "no knock".

Old 01-13-2012, 09:34 PM

9,252 posts, read 9,317,005 times
Quote:
Being from Utah, it seems to be the top story on the news every night, however no details are given as to how this whole thing transpired. I am thinking the p.department wants it to go away also. There are alot of unanswered questions. My first one was why 6 officers? Sounds like this wasn't planned out very well.

Maybe the reason no one is discussing it in the Utah forums, is because no one really knows much about it.

Because it was a police officer that died, I highly doubt that Matthew will get off. I feel bad for the officer that died, but also should this kid spend the rest of his life in prison, because they stormed his house and he was caught off guard and reacted. All because of some marajuana? Or maybe there is more to the story...probably but no one is filling us in.
I believe Chickrae knows I also live in Utah. In fact, I work in Ogden. Out of morbid curiosity, perhaps, I drove by the crime scene the other day.

I don't want to speculate about this case. Until all the facts come out we aren't going to know what really occurred.

The problem with narcotic strike forces is that they are often trained to enter property like armed soldiers. I wonder if this man really knew he was up against the police. I wonder if they identified themselves first.

I question the training these police were getting when one shooter is able to kill one officer and wound half a dozen others without being mortally shot himself.

Maybe it was a calculated thing on his part, in which case I can have no sympathy with him. Something just doesn't seem right here though.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:00 AM

6 posts, read 15,153 times
I hope he does get off. But first and formost, they say he was suspected of having marijuana. I want to know why no one has actually FOUND marijuana at his house. He had "equipment" which included some PVC pipe, and lights. There wasn't a seed or seedling to be found. Now they are saying they found "explosive devices" and a photo of him dressed as a terrorist. What does a so called "terrorist" dress like? The explosive devices could have been ammo for his gun, or fireworks from Wyoming. Why don't they specify if they found a bomb or not? The whole thing sounds like they are fishing for something else to pin him with.

"No knock warrants" usually happen like this:
3 really quick knocks on the door followed by "Police! Open up!
Police burst down door right after they announce themselves , not giving the resident enough time to open the door.

I have a feeling they'll make an example out of him. The OPD wants him to rot because they got pwned by one person, and want to make sure it doesn't happen again. I felt like they exhibited that by putting on a big display for the funeral, and clogging up all of Ogden in hopes that everybody knows and sees the huge police presence. I feel bad for the guy because he chose to self medicate rather than deal with the professionals. I know how dealing with medical professionals and properly diagnosing mental illness can be, not to mention all the trial and error he'd have to go through just to find the right combination of prescription drugs. It can get costly not only through monetary means, but with time as well. All I can do is wish him luck.

For the record, I am sad that an officer had to die. Somebody lost their father, and the event doesn't take away the fact.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:38 PM

Murder charges filed in Utah officer's death - Friday, Jan. 20, 2012 | 3:14 a.m. - Las Vegas Sun (http://m.lvsun.com/news/2012/jan/20/us-utah-officers-shot/ - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or