U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 10:57 AM

1,617 posts, read 2,465,290 times

Advertisements

No doubt many people read about the Governor pardoning a slew of convicted murderers - and the outrage that came along those pardons.

According to the latest CNN story:
Attorney general: Barbour tried to rule the state like Boss Hogg - CNN.com

I cannot even imagine a Governor doing this - jeez!

Certainly glad that the AG got involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 04:03 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,708,488 times
Well, they do things differently down there...they think they can ignore laws and rules.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:09 PM

13,694 posts, read 15,636,467 times
Pretty appalling.

We'll see if any of them take their freedom and use it wisely or if they return to a life of crime.

Is Barbour trying to clear his conscience?

Old 01-12-2012, 09:13 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,301,860 times
Prior to the pardon one of the convicts was up for parole and parole was denied ... then this nutty governor pardoned him!!! There is something wrong with this whole fiasco.

At least the AG got a judge to listen to him and the judge has blocked 203 pardons for the time being.

Judge Halts Mississippi's Controversial Pardons - National - The Atlantic Wire

Karen Irby, will serve just eight months of an 18-year sentence for killing two doctors in a drunk driving accident. Five convicts have been released if Barbour is found to have violated the constitution and the pardons voided, the five released prisoners will have to return to jail. I hope justice prevails in Mississippi.

The pardons don't just let people out of jail; they erase criminal records. That gives the ex-convict a better shot at finding employment, but also restores full citizenship rights, including the right to own a gun. Most will not even be monitored by parole officers and those convicted of sex crimes will not have to register with the state.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:42 PM

27,093 posts, read 5,892,953 times
Oh I was so angry when I read this on cnn....just think of the families of these victims and how they must feel right about now.

Just when you think you have heard it all.....

I hope each pardon is reversed and yes, thankful for the AG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaple View Post
No doubt many people read about the Governor pardoning a slew of convicted murderers - and the outrage that came along those pardons.

According to the latest CNN story:
Attorney general: Barbour tried to rule the state like Boss Hogg - CNN.com

I cannot even imagine a Governor doing this - jeez!

Certainly glad that the AG got involved.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:13 AM

The Governor spoke [quickly and uncomfortably ] the other day - he said that he had the right to make executive decisions - not to different than the President has the right to do and it comes with the privilege [my word, not his] of being Governor-

I believe 4 or 5 worked for him, trustees of some sort at his place, thus, I guess for the short time these "special" prisoners - 'model' prisoners who attended to the Governor deserved this opportunity...

So much for representing the people of the great state of Mississippi - and the victims of those families - some are terrified, and rightfully so -

Yup, they can get jobs, they do NOT have to say on their employment application that their previous address was P. O. Box cell block, they can vote, they can carry weapons...WOW, and who says crimes do not pay?

Old 01-13-2012, 10:36 AM

4,904 posts, read 6,116,810 times
I wonder if he was paid for some of these. Clinton was in the scandel of one of his pardons when he left office or according to Vanity Fair, I think, and they are a liberal rag that I subscribe to...LOL.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:49 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,708,488 times
But if these guys had a criminal background check, this information would come up? A pardon does not expunge information, right? Creepy, could those guys work at a school? Or in a hospital? Scary.

Lots of job applications now ask, have you been arrested for anything? That takes care of knowing information, because felons used to say "No", to some questions, saying they "misunderstood" the questions. Typical BS.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:56 PM

I believe if they are pardoned, their records are completely expunged and they get to say nope!

Old 01-13-2012, 03:18 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,301,860 times
They are trying to locate four or five of the convicts now to return them to prison until the judge makes a decision. One bank robber and the others are the murderers. Of course they could all be long gone to parts unknown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime