U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 07:53 AM

5,273 posts, read 6,551,921 times

Advertisements

Sickening. I have twins and can't stomach this! I cannot believe what a sicko this is! Society has gone to the DOGS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 02:34 PM

9,911 posts, read 9,300,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njsocks View Post
Sickening. I have twins and can't stomach this! I cannot believe what a sicko this is! Society has gone to the DOGS!
You are right!!!

What is so sad ... sooooooo many people want to adopt and have to go to foreign countries now to get a baby. You can find families all over the US that would have been overjoyed to have any of these babies and children we have recently seen murdered. We adopted our first child back in the 70's and what an event that was for us when that beautiful baby was placed in my arms.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:56 PM

7,106 posts, read 9,342,708 times
I think the whole forced-sterilization idea is VERY problematic, not least because you have to wait until something terrible happens before you can even talk about the possibility related to a given person.

I read yesterday that due to the nature of current-day fertility treatments, 1 out of 30 babies born now is a twin. This is not a small thing. In many tribal cultures, if two babies are born any closer than 4 years apart, one of them has to be killed because it's well-known to be overwhelming to the mother and the tribe as a whole. Now we are churning out all these multiple births -- triplets, even sextuplets -- and expect the families to just, somehow, manage it. Think of all the women who kill single infants because they don't know what to do to get the baby to stop crying and have nobody to ask, or because they are so unsupported that they don't dare let anyone know they are pregnant in the first place.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:41 AM

56,005 posts, read 54,523,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
At least this lady is in jail with a million dollar bond ... in September 2011 Lindsey Lowe smothered to death her newborn twins as she delivered them in the bathroom at her parents home and then placed them in a clothes basket in her room ... she is out on bond. She was engaged and after the autopsy on the babies they didn't belong to her fiancé. She was cheating on him!

There is a thread on her case too ... she delivered the twins, killed them, dumped them and went to work!!!! NO ONE knew she was pregnant. How can you not recognize someone is 9 months pregnant with twins.

I feel like .... well Jackie Burkle you blew it ... no more chances for you to kill another baby ... snip snip tie those tubes ... same with Lindsey Lowe ... but is that right to take that away? Casey Anthony needs to be snip snip with the tubes too. But if the tubes are just tied and not cauterized they can be untied in later years.

LEO can install something in a vehicle to check alcohol levels on habitual drunk drivers ... if they are intoxicated they cannot start their car ... great idea ... let them walk or call a cab. It seems we should be able to stop the unwanted babies that only end up dead.

These women that pop out a baby every nine months, not to kill them but to increase their food stamps, welfare checks and WIC payments ... something needs to be done about that too.
That doesn't always work out so great, either. I remember a case where the drunk-ass father had his daughters for visitation regularly after a divorce. He taught one of the girls to blow into the device for him to get the car started. On one of the visitations the father and the girls and the car all disappeared. They found them in the bottom of a river. The father apparently was drunk and had the girl blow into the device so he could drive, and he ended up driving off the road.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:30 AM

1,014 posts, read 3,118,171 times
Too bad they don't have the death penalty in Iowa. However OTOH she probably will not survive in prison for very long because the inmate population do not take to baby killers all that well and chances are the guards will be looking the other way . AFAIC, she handed down her own death sentence.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:49 AM

892 posts, read 1,596,470 times
If only there was some medication for these women that would switch on when they are about to do this, to make a simple phone call and give these babies to someone who will love them.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:27 PM

740 posts, read 1,879,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Frankly, I am not sure why people have to take courses to get licenses to drive, etc, but being a parent is just willy nilly your 'right'...either way, you have a BIG responsibility and can affect many other lives.

It's just loaded...this whole not fit to be a parent thing. No one wants to touch it.
As much as I like to look at parents who really don't care about their children and say "they shouldn't be allowed to have children", as described, it's a slippery slope. At the end of the day, who am I to tell someone else that they cannot reproduce whilst I maintain that right?

70% of Black children are born to unwed mothers or something like that, which is bad right? Further study from a dubious source with a hidden agenda also concludes that children from single mothers are more likely to be horrible people. End result? Lets sterilize all single mothers after the first offense regardless of financial capacity.

Family history shows psychotic tendencies that deviate greatly from a generated standard and we conclude that children of X family is .00011% more likely to go on a murderous rampage. Result? Sterilize all the children of that family.

College educated folks are more likely to have smarter educated babies, drink champagne and be an overall positive net to society. End result? Pay these folks to have multiple children, sterilize the rest.

If the "mandatory sterilization" thing were in place, I could easily see it's utility extend to these types of situations instead of the intended purpose, based on "could happen" instead of "is happening".

Old 01-16-2012, 01:40 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,465,118 times
As many have acknowledged, forced sterilization on substantiated unfit mothers and/or convicted assault/murderers by moms is definitely a controversial and 'slippery slope' issue. So, what about alternatives, and thus less invasive and/or permanent, something like an implant: Patient Fact Sheet: Implant
and this one, I believe, lasts for 3 years.

So, one parameter could be depending upon one's treatment / incarceration / remorse [or in some instances lack thereof] the rods could be removed and/or replaced.

Certainly we, being society, Department of Corrections, Probation and Parole, has no say on sexual relations but as a condition of release and/or condition of parole, that could be mandated.

I am not sure if forced sterilization [not including the moral / ethical component] is always appropriate no less legislators being able to pass such a law, but I think that one element is for certain, there needs to be something in place that would prevent an unfit mother from murdering her child let alone another one of her children.

I think courts and juries have a very hard time convicing someone of murdering their own child because it is just too horrible of a crime to accept; so perhaps with a good defense attorney or a plea agreement the charges would be minimized. Yet, if it was done once, how do we know that a mom would not do it again - sometimes as unpleasant of a concept, is it not better to institute preventative measures than to see the same crime happen again?

I did not realize that if a woman abandons her child on a church /hospital step and that woman is found, she is charged with a serious crime - sometimes I wonder if it is not better for a mom to recognize that she will not be a good parent and leave her child somewhere safe where she knows her child will be found, and not charge her for that crime -

Old 01-16-2012, 02:32 PM

9,911 posts, read 9,300,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaple View Post
As many have acknowledged, forced sterilization on substantiated unfit mothers and/or convicted assault/murderers by moms is definitely a controversial and 'slippery slope' issue. So, what about alternatives, and thus less invasive and/or permanent, something like an implant: Patient Fact Sheet: Implant
and this one, I believe, lasts for 3 years.

So, one parameter could be depending upon one's treatment / incarceration / remorse [or in some instances lack thereof] the rods could be removed and/or replaced.

Certainly we, being society, Department of Corrections, Probation and Parole, has no say on sexual relations but as a condition of release and/or condition of parole, that could be mandated.

I am not sure if forced sterilization [not including the moral / ethical component] is always appropriate no less legislators being able to pass such a law, but I think that one element is for certain, there needs to be something in place that would prevent an unfit mother from murdering her child let alone another one of her children.

I think courts and juries have a very hard time convicing someone of murdering their own child because it is just too horrible of a crime to accept; so perhaps with a good defense attorney or a plea agreement the charges would be minimized. Yet, if it was done once, how do we know that a mom would not do it again - sometimes as unpleasant of a concept, is it not better to institute preventative measures than to see the same crime happen again?

I did not realize that if a woman abandons her child on a church /hospital step and that woman is found, she is charged with a serious crime - sometimes I wonder if it is not better for a mom to recognize that she will not be a good parent and leave her child somewhere safe where she knows her child will be found, and not charge her for that crime -
In our state we have the Infant Safe Haven Law ... a baby can be left at a hospital, church or police dept. Anonymity for the parent or agent of the parent is expressly guaranteed. If they leave it at the police station or church the baby is taken to the hospital to be checked out.

DSS then takes over and the baby is placed in a pre-adoptive home. They then petition the court for termination of the birth parent’s parental rights in order that the infant can be adopted.

I don't think this is a bad deal and DSS has already investigated the pre-adoptive homes and the people are just on hold waiting for a child. It is not shuffling the baby through the foster care system but a real home. It sure beats murdering an infant.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:16 PM

12,408 posts, read 16,473,051 times
Some state had passed that law, to leave the kid I think at the police station or church. In at least one case a woman left an older kid there. It was legal. The legislature then passed a law limiting the age of the infant.

It would really make this discussion easier if the sterilization procedure were reversible. I think many of these killed kids must have been unplanned for and unwanted to begin with. Why they did not abort rather than kill, I don't know.

A reversible procedure would be a god-send.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime