U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 06:39 PM

7,112 posts, read 9,364,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Good post. I'm one of 7, and my mother gave me a brother when I was 8 and another when I was 11. I knew how to care for an infant, and by 12 I had the market cornered on babysitting in my neighborhood because I knew how to warm and test bottles and change diapers and get a crying infant back to sleep.

Related to that idea of teenagers not knowing much about babies, some years ago, in my area of NJ, a well-to-do young college-age couple hid the girl's pregnancy and went to a motel to give birth, after which they put the baby in the Dumpster. They were found out because they didn't know you also had to deliver the placenta, and the girl started bleeding and collapsed later that night and ended up in the hospital. The dead baby was found, and the couple was charged with the killing.

One of the things that the boy said during the trial was that the girl was yelling "Get rid of it, just get rid of it" and he thought that the baby looked as if it had something wrong with it anyway, and that made it easier just to put it in the garbage (or so he said).

But I wondered--would a young couple like that even have the sense to know what a newborn baby looks like? They are hideous--wrinkled and curled up and covered with gunk. Even on TV and movies, the newborns look all clean and bright and miraculously three months old, like a Gerber baby. I could see him looking at this thing that came out of his girlfriend and thinking it was an alien.
I remember that hideous case! As I recall, the ME found that the baby was perfectly fine except for the skull fracture, which did NOT match the surface of anything in that Dumpster -- the baby was clearly killed, and then bagged and ditched. The boyfriend made not one, but 3 appointments to go with her to an abortion clinic and she refused to go to any of them. She also refused to tell anyone else she was pregnant. She controlled everyone around her with her tears and whining, even after she was busted for infanticide.

One step in the right direction, a few years ago now, was when they made it possible for women with unwanted babies to abandon their children in any ER and walk away without legal consequences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 04:50 PM

12,408 posts, read 16,502,726 times
With the current population of the world and the effect it has on the environment; and taking into consideration that we, and our brains, are a part of nature; I think there are lots of people who really put very little thought into having a traditional family and could not care less about having children.

We are no longer stuck as being breeders by tricks our biology plays on us. I see no reason why people should be trained at something which will never be a part of their destiny.

Times are changing and today's young, as always, are facing a different world than did we.

As other animals naturally curb their population growth when they become too numerous, I am thinking that perhaps we can and should, too.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:58 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,767,200 times
I think society puts a lot of pressure on women now. Financial stress. Pursuit of "perfection".

I wonder about the shame issues for these women, did they feel like they would be shamed for being pregnant? That does not say much about church going folks, if their daughter's would rather kill babies than admit to having sex and getting pregnant.

Either way, it is very sad. Those precious babies would be eagerly snapped up by women who want to adopt.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:33 AM

I suppose a lot of this has to do with how a person views humanity.
There is a religious viewpoint, that we are somehow 'special' in creation and God wants us to replicate with no ending to it, for some curious reason.

There is another viewpoint that we are just another form of animal that has learned to bend our environment to suit ourselves, often to the exclusion of other life forms, and certainly little caring for the well being of the planet.

I think that if we don't reset our minds to curb our numbers the future for our antecedents will look increasingly glum. Life will also probably look like less of a blessing as the planet and many of the animals we prey on just die off. Do you know that there is now not a single fish in the oceans without a dangerous level of mercury in it?

I think we should reassess all this baby-making, stop being so emotional and face our situation with logic and perhaps a bit of self sacrifice.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:03 AM

5,144 posts, read 10,870,723 times
I just think its off that its ok for a doctor to do this when an abortion is delivered alive but regular people get in trouble for it. Its not like the way they kill them in the clinics is nicer or anything. I know that is a whole different thread but it basically the same action and results.

That aside, I think they do need to start opening mental health facilities again where they use compulsory sterilization. When you become a monster, you lose your human privileges.( Accidental deaths not included.) The ones that are clear cut brutal murders...they need to be sterilized. We don't need more crazy town genetics in this world.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
I just think its off that its ok for a doctor to do this when an abortion is delivered alive but regular people get in trouble for it. Its not like the way they kill them in the clinics is nicer or anything. I know that is a whole different thread but it basically the same action and results.

That aside, I think they do need to start opening mental health facilities again where they use compulsory sterilization. When you become a monster, you lose your human privileges.( Accidental deaths not included.) The ones that are clear cut brutal murders...they need to be sterilized. We don't need more crazy town genetics in this world.
I don't think we know enough about genetics to make such determinations.

I might agree with you, though, on crack heads who have multiple kids - that sort of thing. I think if you show you cannot manage your own life and be responsible you should not be creating future generations with the same problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime