U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 09:54 AM

2,601 posts, read 2,773,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Hitting on a customer, in any type of position, is unprofessional AND creepy, no matter how good-looking the person is.
LMAO....modern feminism run amok. There's nothing creepy with asking someone out on date just because their the almighty customer. I mean seriously. It's a cab driver. He's not your banker/lawyer/doctor. I'll admit it's unprofessional, but not creepy. Customers shouldn't have to be bothered with that.

Now if I was a boss, I'll admit I'd reprimand someone with bothering the customers for a date especially if it was happening frequently, but it hardly has anything to do with being creepy. Like you said a little unprofessional.

Now it is wrong to make REPEATED UNWANTED advances where you've made it clear you're not interested.

p.s. creepy is probably the most overused term by modern woman right now.....think how often they use it?
It's a joke at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 11:14 AM

7,376 posts, read 12,901,637 times
Did she leave a tip?

Old 01-17-2012, 03:13 PM

452 posts, read 770,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Yet another reason why there should be "women only" cabs, driven by women, for women. I remember once, in NYC, taking a cab from the airport, with my daughter. I was petrified with fear. The guy looked like he just left Rikers, and barely spoke English. It was night, I was in a strange place, and basically felt at complete mercy of this guy. It was very unsettling, even more so when he turned down a pitch black alley. Apparently this was a "short cut", I am telling you, I was scared to death. My little girl was 10 at the time.

That was one of the worst feelings I have ever had. And I have not ridden in a cab since then. Forget it, I will rent a car.

Yes, I was okay, and dropped off at my hotel, but it was just too scary.
I feel for you, and I know how unsettling that can be for any woman. Unfortunately, in NYC, 95% of the cab drivers are foreign-looking, and come from all-over-the world, and yes, I agree with you, some can look pretty scary, however, we are used to this multi-ethnicity, and different religions, that we think nothing of it. And yet, many of these peple can be darlings....very respectful, and kind. So, it is more the way the look, than they way the act.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:41 PM

15,568 posts, read 17,788,959 times
Quote:
Yet another reason why there should be "women only" cabs, driven by women, for women.
Yeah. Or better yet, women should only be allowed out of the house with a male family member who can protect them. And a burkha for good measure.

I don't see how gender segregation is the solution to societal problems.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:56 PM

16,023 posts, read 19,736,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda Sebastian View Post
My apologies, if I gave you the impression that I am blaming the victims. It was just a generalized statement made so as to bring about how women can be victimized, whether they use alcohol or not. In this case, we really do not know all the details, they would come out later, during the trial.

The point I was trying to bring about is that everytime I see a rape, attempted rape, or killed, it is usually a woman, and in most cases, she has been under the influence of alcohol.

There was a case in Miami, about a year ago where this model was burned and thrown into a recycle bin, then in NYC, about two years' ago, a very- brilliant student was raped and killed by a bouncer from a club.

Many young women do not drink responsibly, it is the opinion I have harvested by following true-crime killings, so in this case, it was just a generalized statement.

Regarding the perpetrator: It is a very sad stance for his family. He is Indian, from the Sheik religion, and comes from a very coherent, family structure, and extremely religious. Parents hold their children to any type of nuisance, and any type of nuisance culturally reflects on the family structure.

So we have loses here from both sides.
You really need to attend some crisis center training, or something to learn empathy. First to go, and on about how women allow themselves to be victims....Then you even conclude that the perpetrator/family himself is a victim because he shamed his family. Please just stop. What nationality was the woman, what difference does the nationality make. A woman was raped, by a man. Man should do time!

Old 01-17-2012, 04:05 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,763,203 times
Quote:
Yet another reason why there should be "women only" cabs, driven by women, for women. I remember once, in NYC, taking a cab from the airport, with my daughter. I was petrified with fear. The guy looked like he just left Rikers, and barely spoke English. It was night, I was in a strange place, and basically felt at complete mercy of this guy. It was very unsettling, even more so when he turned down a pitch black alley. Apparently this was a "short cut", I am telling you, I was scared to death. My little girl was 10 at the time.

That was one of the worst feelings I have ever had. And I have not ridden in a cab since then. Forget it, I will rent a car.

Yes, I was okay, and dropped off at my hotel, but it was just too scary.
Of course then something happens to a woman in shadey part of town, and first thing we'd hear is, "well, 3 cabs went by but wouldn't or couldn't stop because they were driven by men"...and then the lawsuits would begin.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:15 PM

452 posts, read 770,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
You really need to attend some crisis center training, or something to learn empathy. First to go, and on about how women allow themselves to be victims....Then you even conclude that the perpetrator/family himself is a victim because he shamed his family. Please just stop. What nationality was the woman, what difference does the nationality make. A woman was raped, by a man. Man should do time!

The woman who die and her family are both victims, as well as the perpetrator's family. And yes, he should received the maximum sentence allowed by law. You should have read the thread from the very beginning, to understand my reasoning, for what I stated.

And unless you are a New Yorker, you will never understand the importance of nationality here, due to the fact that we have people from all over the world..........and over 200 languages in place, daily.....

Old 01-18-2012, 07:29 AM

16,411 posts, read 26,278,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda Sebastian View Post

And unless you are a New Yorker, you will never understand the importance of nationality here, due to the fact that we have people from all over the world..........and over 200 languages in place, daily.....

Old 01-18-2012, 08:49 AM

9,234 posts, read 9,303,002 times
Quote:
Yeah. Or better yet, women should only be allowed out of the house with a male family member who can protect them. And a burkha for good measure.

I don't see how gender segregation is the solution to societal problems.
I agree with you. If we carry this type of reasoning to its extreme, we ought to build separate state universities for men and women. That way we can guarantee that women won't be raped or sexually harassed at school, right? Never mind, that the state will have to almost double its expenses for higher education in the process.

I've seen this attitude before. Some women want equal pay and equal working conditions, but than expect all sorts of special considerations and privileges. The only "sexually segregated" cabs I'm aware of are in Muslim countries. I understand that sort of thing is available half-the-world-away in a place like Dubai (its a very small country on the Persian Gulf next to Saudi Arabia)

Also, people who mindlessly advocate these kinds of things don't seem to understand anything about the law (which follows a long-established pattern on this forum). The Civil Rights Act of 1964, forbids discrimination on the basis of sex. Any cab driver who didn't want to be limited to passengers of just one sex could sue the cab companies or whomever imposed the "one sex rule" and they'd win the case.

I don't think all women--by a longshot--endorse this kind of reasoning. However, those that do are basically saying they shouldn't be treated equally. I wonder if they like to return to the days of "barefoot, tied to the kitchen stove, and pregnant"?

Old 01-18-2012, 03:58 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,772,636 times
If there were companies, that would allow a woman to call and request a female driver, I don't see how that is any problem? This is a customer service issue.

And probably, if I was used to taking cabs, I would have anticipated this situation, and perhaps, requested a female cab driver in an unfamiliar city.

How is that a "Civil Rights Violation"? I have patients all the time, who request a male doctor, or female doctor. That is not a problem, we just adjust the patient load, as a customer service request.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or