U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 06:18 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,467,297 times

Advertisements

Using this case as an example, as well, I suppose, of many of the other threads w/in this particular forum, I wonder how many assaults, including sexual assaults, murders, including killing one's child[ren] have not been written about, on the news, covered up, ignore, cold cases, how many years and why do you [all] think that they are being aired now? Do you think that the news/writers/TV do it because of the sensationalism it brings, is it because people are more open to reading about it, because investigative techniques are so much more sophisticated now than before that there may be a greater risk of being caught in the past?

There is not a day that goes by that we do not read at least 10 articles about this [these] type of crime[s] - no doubt there have been thousands in the past that have never been addressed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 08:56 PM

9,222 posts, read 9,289,216 times
Quote:
If there were companies, that would allow a woman to call and request a female driver, I don't see how that is any problem? This is a customer service issue.

And probably, if I was used to taking cabs, I would have anticipated this situation, and perhaps, requested a female cab driver in an unfamiliar city.

How is that a "Civil Rights Violation"? I have patients all the time, who request a male doctor, or female doctor. That is not a problem, we just adjust the patient load, as a customer service request.
The Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibits discrimination on account of race, sex, religion, or national origin. One entire section of the act deals with the right of access to "public accommodations". Taxi cabs, buses, and railroads that transport passengers have always been considered "common carriers" by the government. This is a precise legal term with a specific meaning. It means that these services are considered vital because they serve the public and are subject to regulation. One requirement of "serving the public" means being willing to take all customers who are willing to pay for the service. In other words, taxi cabs, buses, and railroads are treated as public accommodations for purposes of this law.

Most importantly, you need to read the precise language of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 that I link too. The act not only states that public accommodations cannot deny service to individuals based on race, sex, religion, or national origin it prohibits segregation of individuals. Segregation is what you are asking for here. Some cabs will serve men. Some cabs wills serve women. This would violate the letter of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and any cab company doing so would be subject to lawsuit by either private individuals or the Civil Rights Division of the US Department of Justice. I acknowledge here that what you are asking is can't the customer ask for single sex service. The answer is that they could, but if the cab company were to grant such a service they would be violating the law.

This is precisely why you don't see single sex cab companies in the USA.

The only thing I will add to this is a comment about physicians. In an emergency situation, a patient wouldn't worry about the sex of their physician. By the same token, in an emergency situation, a physician could not choose to discriminate in terms of the patients he sees. Even so, I'm not confident that the office policy you describe doesn't technically break the law for reasons stated above. Sometimes we don't know something is unlawful until it is challenged in court. Than the people on the "receiving end" tend to be very unhappy.

Civil Rights Act of 1964: Public Accommodation

Old 01-18-2012, 09:35 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,746,980 times
Requesting a female driver for safety reasons is a customer service issue. I doubt any companies are going to sue customers for making a reasonable request.

And no, it is not unlawful for customers to request a certain doctor, or nurse for modesty reasons, or whatever reason they want. Same with patients who have issues with doctors who are Arabic, recently I had a request from a veteran, who had served in Iraq. He felt uncomfortable with an Arabic doctor. His request was honored with a switch in providers, it is not against the law. It would be against the law if our clinic did not hire qualified professionals b ecause f their race or gender, but it is definitely not against any law to honor patient requests regarding their personal health care.

Same as a request from a woman, paying customer, to want to have a female cab driver.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:12 AM

1,739 posts, read 1,761,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaple View Post
Using this case as an example, as well, I suppose, of many of the other threads w/in this particular forum, I wonder how many assaults, including sexual assaults, murders, including killing one's child[ren] have not been written about, on the news, covered up, ignore, cold cases, how many years and why do you [all] think that they are being aired now? Do you think that the news/writers/TV do it because of the sensationalism it brings, is it because people are more open to reading about it, because investigative techniques are so much more sophisticated now than before that there may be a greater risk of being caught in the past?

There is not a day that goes by that we do not read at least 10 articles about this [these] type of crime[s] - no doubt there have been thousands in the past that have never been addressed?
ratings

Old 01-21-2012, 02:24 PM

12,408 posts, read 16,495,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Yes because hitting on you = potential rape?? Give me a break. Get over yourself. I'm sure if you thought he was good looking....he suddenly wouldn't be so creepy, but the cute cabbie lol
It's the way it's done. Some men come across as too aggressive. In a deserted neighborhood late at night most intelligent guys tone down their routine. Those who cannot are looked upon as boorish and are threatening.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
If there were companies, that would allow a woman to call and request a female driver, I don't see how that is any problem? This is a customer service issue.

And probably, if I was used to taking cabs, I would have anticipated this situation, and perhaps, requested a female cab driver in an unfamiliar city.

How is that a "Civil Rights Violation"? I have patients all the time, who request a male doctor, or female doctor. That is not a problem, we just adjust the patient load, as a customer service request.
Because one person of a certain group has problems, then we should segregate ourselves away from ALL?

No, we live in an inclusive society. By and large it works - well. The men I know all behave well in public and even when alone with me.

Look at it this way. Some people were traumatized at 911. Does that mean it should be permissible for them to call for a cab and request that the driver not be of Saudi descent? Or a Muslim? No, we learn that it is not right to judge an entire group by the acts of a few individuals. We adjust and get over ourselves.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:26 PM

2,601 posts, read 2,770,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
It's the way it's done. Some men come across as too aggressive. In a deserted neighborhood late at night most intelligent guys tone down their routine. Those who cannot are looked upon as boorish and are threatening.
Of course, but you know how some woman, who are nasty, think....
creepy = simply unattractive.
classic example would be a shy guy who's just looking her way in a bar. If she thinks he's cute,it's "aww he's shy"
If she think he's ugly, "it's ooohh creepy"

Many rapists say nothing at all before even launching an attack.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Of course, but you know how some woman, who are nasty, think....
creepy = simply unattractive.
classic example would be a shy guy who's just looking her way in a bar. If she thinks he's cute,it's "aww he's shy"
If she think he's ugly, "it's ooohh creepy"

Many rapists say nothing at all before even launching an attack.
Frankly, I would think a taxi driver would want to look scary to anyone who boards who might be a threat to him. I would watch his conduct closely though and if my hackles really went up I'd tell him I'd changed my mind and not get in the cab, hopefully.

There is nothing, though, that is similar that a man goes through in such a situation. They rarely get creeped out if a rough and not too attractive girl looks their way. Women are on guard most of the time when they are in contact with the outside world. We used to not list our first names in phone books, not open the door when the bell rings, always be aware of which side of the street is well lit or who is on the elevator tat we step into and we often carry bags cross body or tucked under our arms, have keys ready in our hands when approaching our front doors.

I think women alone are much more targets than men alone, just as the elderly are more targeted than the young.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or