U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 10:22 PM

17,428 posts, read 21,272,660 times

Advertisements

I'm totally entranced reading an older book, Marina & Lee Harvey Oswald, by Priscilla Johnson McMillan. I can hardly put it down!

I just finished with his first murder attempt, that of Walker, who headed up the John Birch Society in Dallas.
He spent 2 months meticulously plotting his murder, all done with the utmost secrecy, and he shot at him sitting next to his living room window one nite, and missed by an inch! He was never considered a suspect, and he was prepared to be captured, even wanted to be, because he thought he was helping his country by ridding him from the world! He never practiced target-shooting at a gun range, he was too smart and secretive for that!

What a weird, incomprehensible mother he had, and he used to beat his own mother, and she, inexplicably, took it with a grain of salt! She drilled it into him from birth he was special! She forced his other brothers to quit high school to make some money, but not her darling Lee, he didn't have to work! Not surprisingly, his beatings of his mother transferred to his poor wife who endured constant beatings!

Talk about a lone wolf!!! These highly secretive, anti-social creatures are always interesting to read about and there's a grain that runs thru all of them! Eat your hearts out, those that can't, for the life of them, keep a secret!!!

Old 08-04-2012, 09:38 AM

18,852 posts, read 31,746,980 times
Have you ever read about a crime, that was so gruesome, you wished you had not read the article? It is amazing what people can do to another person. Truly scary, that there are people walking this earth, who are so depraved.

I read about a boy in China, who was horribly abused...he is barely alive...and I just can't get this crime out of my head. I wish I had not read the article. More than that, I wish that this boy had never been abused. I can't even imagine what should be done to the criminals who abused him...there is just not a punishment suitable for this type of depravity.

How evil can people be?

Old 08-06-2012, 03:38 PM

297 posts, read 442,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Have you ever read about a crime, that was so gruesome, you wished you had not read the article? It is amazing what people can do to another person. Truly scary, that there are people walking this earth, who are so depraved.

I read about a boy in China, who was horribly abused...he is barely alive...and I just can't get this crime out of my head. I wish I had not read the article. More than that, I wish that this boy had never been abused. I can't even imagine what should be done to the criminals who abused him...there is just not a punishment suitable for this type of depravity.

How evil can people be?
One of the sickest cases I have ever read about has to be Junko Furuta.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:50 PM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 26 days ago)

8,736 posts, read 10,862,655 times
Who's the woman and some of her children who abused the child they took in to take care of her while her mother was away. Can't think of the name. They abused her, carved stuff in her chest. The mom had her children do a lot of the abuse I think. The girl died. Horrible crime.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:57 AM

262 posts, read 430,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Have you ever read about a crime, that was so gruesome, you wished you had not read the article?
most of them affect me that way, but for some reason I'm captivated by them. Sick, I know.

It makes you wonder about some of these anti-social people we meet in everyday life who could have serious issues.

I met someone recently who fits the profile perfectly of a sick and twisted person though he acts normal in front of others (in a classroom as a student) but when we talked after class outside at night, I got a really strange vibe that screamed danger. I'm normally a trusting person who enjoys eccentricity and quirkiness, but this was just too weird.

Have you ever met someone who gave you the creeps or someone of whom you wondered what they're hiding?

Old 10-13-2012, 07:38 PM

12,309 posts, read 15,215,162 times
Convicted Murderer Drew Peterson in the news again. But this time it is about lawyers fighting over his appeal.
Drew Peterson backs longtime attorney - Chicago Tribune
How bizarre.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:29 AM

13,612 posts, read 10,315,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldPlay;26450146[B
]most of them affect me that way, but for some reason I'm captivated by them. Sick, I know.
[/b]
It makes you wonder about some of these anti-social people we meet in everyday life who could have serious issues.

I met someone recently who fits the profile perfectly of a sick and twisted person though he acts normal in front of others (in a classroom as a student) but when we talked after class outside at night, I got a really strange vibe that screamed danger. I'm normally a trusting person who enjoys eccentricity and quirkiness, but this was just too weird.

Have you ever met someone who gave you the creeps or someone of whom you wondered what they're hiding?
I read an interesting study once that said that the reason we read that stuff and look at the scenes of gory accidents is actually buried deep in our own survival instincts. We learn.

As to the original question, yes, I have read things that make me want to bleach my eyeballs. Unfortunately, you can't un-see what has been seen.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:35 PM

13,612 posts, read 10,315,877 times
Default This one's a heart warmer

We read so many distressing things. This one is the opposite. A NYPD officer sees a man with no shoes or socks on a freezing night and takes action. It's captured on a cell phone cam and goes viral. The officer had no idea he was being filmed.

Associated Press News - ReviewJournal.com

Last edited by NLVgal; 11-29-2012 at 10:46 PM..

Old 11-29-2012, 11:17 PM

10,953 posts, read 8,694,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
We read so many distressing things. This one is the opposite. A NYPD officer sees a man with no shoes or socks on a freezing night and takes action. It's captured on a cell phone cam and goes viral. The officer had no idea he was being filmed.

Associated Press News - ReviewJournal.com
What a wonderful story and what a kind and selfless thing that young police officer did.

I hope his parents are incredibly proud of him.

Thank you so much for posting that - it honestly brought tears to my eyes.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:31 AM

18,852 posts, read 31,746,980 times
Thank you "True Crime" posters!

I appreciate how you guys hang out and have discussions about crime, we may all have our own points of view, but everyone pretty much is respectful and tolerant of others.

25 days to Christmas! Happy Holidays!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime