U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2012, 10:25 PM

14,505 posts, read 23,777,641 times

Advertisements

I agree with that. A 7 year old is 1st grade, able to understand if something wrong/bad is happening...what is the best book to read on this case?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 01:55 PM

7,112 posts, read 9,347,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
I agree with that. A 7 year old is 1st grade, able to understand if something wrong/bad is happening...what is the best book to read on this case?
The only one I know of -- and it's a good one -- is The Indiana Torture Slaying! by John Dean -- currently back on your newsstand, re-released as House Of Evil.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
If I read the true story it would be very upsetting. How could neighbors (if they heard it, which it seems they would, houses were close together) not have called police?....
They did, after they found the Likens girls eating out of their garbage cans. Gertrude snowed the cops.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:31 AM

18,677 posts, read 23,246,850 times
The John Dean book is the only one that details the case. "House of Evil
The transcripts of the trial are available online and they are shocking.
There is a book written bu feminist author on the subject called "The Basement"
A cell mate of Gertrude Banisewski wrote a book about her time in jail with Gertrude. I haven't read it yet but I'll find the name.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:10 PM

Here are the only other two books that have thus far been written about the case "Justice From Within- Serving Time with Gertrude Baniszewski" by Giselle Vellieu (I have yet to read this one)

and "The Basement - Meditations on a Human Sacrifice" by Kate Millet

Old 02-11-2012, 02:35 PM

1,882 posts, read 2,841,464 times
i advise anyone against watching the other film made about the likens case, and i can't remember the title. it wasn't the one with Keener in it, and it absolutely horrified me. they go into way, way, way too much detail. rape scenes, with children in the room- i can't even understand how they could LEGALLY do that. i mean, the truth must be known, but that film horrified me. that case will haunt you.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
i advise anyone against watching the other film made about the likens case, and i can't remember the title. it wasn't the one with Keener in it, and it absolutely horrified me. they go into way, way, way too much detail. rape scenes, with children in the room- i can't even understand how they could LEGALLY do that. i mean, the truth must be known, but that film horrified me. that case will haunt you.
Do you mean "The Girl Next Door"? That movie was loosely based upon the case, from a book written by Jack Ketcham. It is fictionalized and takes place in the 50s not the 60s.

That book had a horrific ending, as did the movie. The violence and sexuality seemed over the top, and I think that film would be difficult for me to watch.
Have not read the book either, for the same reason.Dubious socially redeeming value.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:10 PM

1,882 posts, read 2,841,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Do you mean "The Girl Next Door"? That movie was loosely based upon the case, from a book written by Jack Ketcham. It is fictionalized and takes place in the 50s not the 60s.

That book had a horrific ending, as did the movie. The violence and sexuality seemed over the top, and I think that film would be difficult for me to watch.
Have not read the book either, for the same reason.Dubious socially redeeming value.
yes, that was it. if i remember correctly it was more than loosely based. i had already read a couple of books on the case and it really seemed to adhere quite closely with the story. either way, i agree TOTALLY with you in this regard-dubious social value. it had an almost fetishistic quality about it. really, really, really over the top. i wrote a netflix review about it, warning people, because even for people with strong stomachs its simply too much. NOBODY under 18 should watch that film, or anyone sensitive. its just too haunting.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

And by the way, while Sylia was branded, cut, bruised, starved and scalded with hot water, she as never raped. Jack Ketcham (who wrote The Gilr Next Door) apparently thought that Sylvia's true ordeal wasn't nasty enough.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:23 AM

It is strange but true that she never was raped. Those people did so many horrific things to this girl, but rape was not among them. In a way it makes the case even more strange.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or