U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 07:36 PM

29,124 posts, read 22,055,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post

So are you "OK" with the actions of this child molester? Is it "No harm, no foul" in your opinion?

When people are so cavalier about not protecting children from predators than society has truly fallen off the cliff. And yes hopefully these children will be provided with access to therapists after being violated.
No - if he is guilty of the alleged crimes - I am not OK with that. Very interesting that I never mentioned the teacher, yet you immediately assumed I was defending him. I did nothing of the sort. Another poster stated that the children "will be scarred for life". I responded to this by disagreeing - that there natural resiliency will enable them to live happy and fulfilled lives. In what way does that make me a defender of the alleged actions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 07:42 PM

29,124 posts, read 22,055,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
It's also going to be costly; don't ever forget that because our public schools operate via a bureaucratic, rather than an entrprenurial model, a bigger "problem" calls for a bigger appropriation, and a bigger staff, and promotions for the administrators who got there first, and .......

As Calipoppy's comment:

When people are so cavalier about not protecting children from predators than society has truly fallen off the cliff. And yes hopefully these children will be provided with access to therapists after being violated.

However heinoous the offense, the defendfants are entitled to a trial in a court of law, not by media sensationalists who recognize that there is a certain type of audience with whom their allegations strike a particularly strong note.

As with Sandusky, we need to determine the facts, but we've been down this road before:

McMartin preschool trial - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

McMartin was a private entity which, had a conviction been obtained, left it open for lawsuit; no chance of that here.
Don't forget Scott and Brenda Kniffen - and John Stoll. Kern County child abuse cases - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .

Tragedies are complicated when hysteria triumphs over reason.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:04 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,746,980 times
I found it interesting that the entire staff was replaced at a school in L.A. Today, all 150 people. Was it the school where this POS worked? I think so...the admin thought that people KNEW about abuse, and said nothing...

The sad thing, is as a former teacher myself, I know that situation...we had a sub, he was strange. I did not want him alone with the kids, something about him was just "off". I knew he had been banned by a Principal in another school...I had no "evidence" he was a pervert, just an uneasy feeling. I know I would not have left my little girl or boy with this guy...so, I reIarrnaged my schedule that day, and stayed in that classroom. He told me I could go to lunch, or take a break, several times...which in and of itself is odd...anyway, there was nothing to report on this guy, except he creeped me out. Nothing I could say or do about it in my position...so, I wonder why all the staff was replaced....BTW, I told the Principal the guy was weird. He agreed to trust me, and banned him from subbing at that school.

But getting rid of a creepy sub is easy...getting rid of a teacher..not so much.

Last edited by jasper12; 02-07-2012 at 11:06 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 02-08-2012, 06:20 AM

5,273 posts, read 6,557,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I found it interesting that the entire staff was replaced at a school in L.A. Today, all 150 people. Was it the school where this POS worked? I think so...the admin thought that people KNEW about abuse, and said nothing...

The sad thing, is as a former teacher myself, I know that situation...we had a sub, he was strange. I did not want him alone with the kids, something about him was just "off". I knew he had been banned by a Principal in another school...I had no "evidence" he was a pervert, just an uneasy feeling. I know I would not have left my little girl or boy with this guy...so, I reIarrnaged my schedule that day, and stayed in that classroom. He told me I could go to lunch, or take a break, several times...which in and of itself is odd...anyway, there was nothing to report on this guy, except he creeped me out. Nothing I could say or do about it in my position...so, I wonder why all the staff was replaced....BTW, I told the Principal the guy was weird. He agreed to trust me, and banned him from subbing at that school.

But getting rid of a creepy sub is easy...getting rid of a teacher..not so much.
It burns me to no end Jasper about the school doing absolutely nothing. All 150 are gone. Sick world we live in. A few were just arrested in my area for acts with a minor. OMG, my blood boils....they fired the scums. Lock them up forever. Pedophiles never change!

Also creepy about the sub you mentioned. Scary.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:12 AM

But, getting rid of a creepy sub, with no evidence, is easy. Firing a teacher, because he is "creepy", not so easy. I know that where I taught, Principals who could not terminate a teacher for cause, and had no evidence could "surplus" the teacher, to get them out of their school, buy that just sends the teacher to another school.

If there is no evidence of a teacher molesting kids, but people report a teacher for some inappropriate behavior, a teacher cannot be fired, no "cause". So, they usually get put in the "ed-shed', where they still get their salary, but no ditect contact with kids, they do stuff like pick books, or write curriculum. That is a problem with our school system. Bad teachers can't just be fired.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:36 AM

5,273 posts, read 6,557,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
But, getting rid of a creepy sub, with no evidence, is easy. Firing a teacher, because he is "creepy", not so easy. I know that where I taught, Principals who could not terminate a teacher for cause, and had no evidence could "surplus" the teacher, to get them out of their school, buy that just sends the teacher to another school.

If there is no evidence of a teacher molesting kids, but people report a teacher for some inappropriate behavior, a teacher cannot be fired, no "cause". So, they usually get put in the "ed-shed', where they still get their salary, but no ditect contact with kids, they do stuff like pick books, or write curriculum. That is a problem with our school system. Bad teachers can't just be fired.

Doesn't that equate to the teachers having tenure? It has to be pretty bad to get rid of them but in this case! You would think!

Old 02-08-2012, 12:12 PM

Where I worked it was the teacher's union.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:38 PM

13,694 posts, read 15,651,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
There's some news buzz I heard on talk radio today about a possible THIRD teacher at that school who was involved as well!
THIRD teacher picked out by students for sex abuse at Miramonte Elementary School | Mail Online

Old 02-08-2012, 03:01 PM

13,694 posts, read 15,651,143 times
This story gets creepier by the minute!

Deputies Discover 200 New Photos Taken By Miramonte Elementary Teacher CBS Los Angeles

Old 02-08-2012, 03:38 PM

12,351 posts, read 7,521,491 times
I have to ask aagin .... How did our society become so obsessed with security, yet unwilling to confront responsibility and the consequences of our choices, that we would "teach"?? young children to submit so blindly to authority??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or