U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 12:15 PM

7,112 posts, read 9,344,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Oh, my God! I live in the North East and have never seen the stuff. How do you kill it, wait until winter and chop it down? Is it difficult? It looks like English Ivy, which is a real struggle because it is green all year round where we are. My sympathies to the South.

You have to get the whole root out of the ground -- it's like a 300-lb carrot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 07:06 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,301,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Oh, my God! I live in the North East and have never seen the stuff. How do you kill it, wait until winter and chop it down? Is it difficult? It looks like English Ivy, which is a real struggle because it is green all year round where we are. My sympathies to the South.
In the winter months it dies down and some people will try to burn it ... but in the spring it's right back. Our county has some chemical they spray on it when it nears a major road to stop it.

A friend of mine visited from California and coming home from the airport she asked me 'what is that beautiful vine I see growing everywhere?' I told her not to worry it would make it to California at the rate it grows.

Kudzu was brought into the the US in the 1930's and planted in the southeast to prevent soil erosion. Providing jobs for men during the Great Depression. It can also be used at cattle feed. It came from Japan or China one. Harvard Medical School has been working on a extract from kudzu to treat alcoholism.

It kills everything it grows over, trees, bushes and cattle don't really like it. Growing up to 18 inches a night it is a monster plant.

Old 03-04-2012, 04:13 PM

12,408 posts, read 16,475,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
In the winter months it dies down and some people will try to burn it ... but in the spring it's right back. Our county has some chemical they spray on it when it nears a major road to stop it.

A friend of mine visited from California and coming home from the airport she asked me 'what is that beautiful vine I see growing everywhere?' I told her not to worry it would make it to California at the rate it grows.

Kudzu was brought into the the US in the 1930's and planted in the southeast to prevent soil erosion. Providing jobs for men during the Great Depression. It can also be used at cattle feed. It came from Japan or China one. Harvard Medical School has been working on a extract from kudzu to treat alcoholism.

It kills everything it grows over, trees, bushes and cattle don't really like it. Growing up to 18 inches a night it is a monster plant.
There is some sort of (hormonal?) weed killer that you spray only during the fall, when the plant is taking energy to store in the roots for next spring. It gets absorbed by the leaves and pulled down into the roots.
Pity that they cannot get something like that for kudzu.

I hate English Ivy and that is hardly 18 inches per night growth. Cattle don't like it. Hey, maybe we should see if we can get fuel from it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or