U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 08:14 PM

18,677 posts, read 23,246,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Anyone else watch the show Sat. nights on CBS at 10pm? Thought it might be a good Idea to start a thread where we can discuss the cases. If you guys like the idea, great! If not, well, I guess it will fall to the bottom.
I think this is an AWESOME idea! Since moving to PA, I have been so out of the loop TV wise. 600 new TV channels to learn and it seems that they mix shows up so much these days and things I enjoy get lost.
I end up watching all of the re-runs on "I.D"

Count me in!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 09:42 AM

43,858 posts, read 44,607,095 times
Here's the link in case anyone is new and doesn't know it:
ID - Investigation Discovery : Hollywood Crimes, Forensics, Murders

I watch 48 Hours faithfully!! Great idea for a discussion thread.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:15 PM

3,407 posts, read 3,967,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
Several weeks ago I wandered upon the ID Channel ... boy am I hooked!! I am a night owl and sometimes it's just reruns ... the Betty Broderick story has been on three times in the last couple of weeks.

I like the older Dateline shows. Before CNN bought Court TV I always watched that channel with Forensic Files and Cold Case files. Now that it's TruTV it's just a bunch of junk reality shows at night that I don't watch.

One of my favorites was City Confidential with Paul Winfield narrating. I liked the way he introduced and told all about the town and then got into the case. He passed away in 2004 so all I see now is reruns.

I've never watched 48 hours.
City Confidential, my all time favorite! Paul Winfield's narrating was perfect, one of those "once in a lifetime" things. I still "whine", outloud, "Paul, I miss you" whenever I watch an episode of CC.

I have found that "Sins and Secrets" is similiar to the CC concept but w/o the history of the city/town. I like that type of format.

Cold Case Files is/was my second favorite True Crime show. Bill Kurtis is "the man". Wish he was still doing new shows of Cold Case Files.

Forensic Files, another great show. Peter Thomas is the narrator. Very recognizable voice. Listen, and you will hear him doing some commercials.

I joined IDAddicts (IDAddicts.com) from seeing the adverts on ID, and don't really understand how to navigate it. I find it useless so far. I am spoiled big-time by City-Data's forum format. So easy to use (maybe I'm just used to it). Any one else join the above?

Old 02-10-2012, 10:47 PM

1,765 posts, read 1,885,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
City Confidential, my all time favorite! Paul Winfield's narrating was perfect, one of those "once in a lifetime" things. I still "whine", outloud, "Paul, I miss you" whenever I watch an episode of CC.
My favorite too...sad that he passed away...there are a few episodes after he passed that are narrated by Keith David Williams, he's good, but it wasn't the same.

Quote:
I have found that "Sins and Secrets" is similiar to the CC concept but w/o the history of the city/town. I like that type of format.
Do you know who narrates this show? He reminds me of Paul Winfield..

Quote:
Cold Case Files is/was my second favorite True Crime show. Bill Kurtis is "the man". Wish he was still doing new shows of Cold Case Files.
I love Bill Kurtis! I just watched his Black Dahlia documentary on Bio...

Quote:
Forensic Files, another great show. Peter Thomas is the narrator. Very recognizable voice. Listen, and you will hear him doing some commercials.
I have probably watched every episode 10 times over!

Overall I would definitely classify myself as an addict!!

Old 02-10-2012, 11:10 PM

13,900 posts, read 10,786,494 times
Quote:
. I am spoiled big-time by City-Data's forum format. So easy to use (maybe I'm just used to it). Any one else join the above?
Oh yeah, you got that right. Ive checked out other forums before and tried to navigate them, but I always compare them to C D format. They just arent as good. No doubt about it.

{ No I have not joined IDaddicts but considered it when I seen them running the ads }

Old 02-10-2012, 11:25 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,304,041 times
Quote:

I joined IDAddicts (IDAddicts.com) from seeing the adverts on ID, and don't really understand how to navigate it. I find it useless so far. I am spoiled big-time by City-Data's forum format. So easy to use (maybe I'm just used to it). Any one else join the above?

Paul would have been excellent working at some town or big city Chamber of Commerce ... with that voice and the manner he could present all the positives about a place he would motivate people to move there. I liked Cold Case Files too with Bill Kurtis.

Another one I liked and I miss is Dominick Dunne , Power, Privilege & Justice. I didn't particularly care for Dayle Hinman, Body of Evidence. My b-i-l was a detective and trained at the FBI in profiling ... I always asked him why didn't you get a TV show ... he said he was too ugly.

I have been watching Snapped on Oxygen Channel ... lots of crazy women out there killing husbands and boyfriends.

I joined the IDAddicts and will look it over tomorrow and see what I find. Have you ever checked out Websleuths.com they have some pretty lively discussions on different cases on that site.

Old 02-11-2012, 04:22 PM

Tonight's 48 Hours Mystery...

Screenplay for Murder: Police charge a filmmaker who just finished a serial killer movie with murder

A "Dexter" fanatic's secret journal is found: Is it a screenplay or a confession to murder? Troy Roberts reports.

Read more: 48 Hours Mystery - CBS News

Looks interesting...I've never watched the show "Dexter" (don't have Showtime)

Old 02-11-2012, 04:25 PM

10,614 posts, read 13,149,027 times
Default Good thread!!

Been watching this show for a while. Very chilling in many cases. Great in depth reporting. I recall one sticking in my mind about Tommy Lynn Sells, Who broke into rural homes with a knife and attacked women. This guy and the story was very scary. They got him and he is serving life in prison. I cant forget the words of the lead cop on the case: "To break into peoples homes at night with that ugly knife and kill innocents is terrifying."

Old 02-11-2012, 06:47 PM

13,900 posts, read 10,786,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiluha View Post
Tonight's 48 Hours Mystery...

Screenplay for Murder: Police charge a filmmaker who just finished a serial killer movie with murder

A "Dexter" fanatic's secret journal is found: Is it a screenplay or a confession to murder? Troy Roberts reports.

Read more: 48 Hours Mystery - CBS News

Looks interesting...I've never watched the show "Dexter" (don't have Showtime)
I'll be watching!!!

{ "Dexter" is a show on showtime about a man who kills people he considers to be evil }

Old 02-11-2012, 08:37 PM

You know, I've always thought that screen writers, true crime writers, homicide detectives, medical examiners are one step away from being serial killers.

I know this may sound harsh/irrational, but if you think about, in order for them to succeed in the field they have to have the ability to not only to compartmentalize these heinous crime scenes and all that embodies it, but think or get inside the heads of these psychos. This is one of the main traits of serial killers, they can do all this horrific stuff and then go on with life "normally".

I don't know what that says about all of us who are addicted to watching these shows LOL, but we don't get to see all the real gore and horror of these crimes, it's all very one dimensional.

Just sayin'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or