U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 10:08 PM

13,900 posts, read 10,796,204 times

Advertisements

My guide said this episode was new, but I know Ive seen it before. Anyway, not much to discuss. I find the most amazing part to have been that it took the jury a whole five hours to convuict him. I dont think it would have taken me five minutes, much less five hours. This guy had to have been one of the dumbest killers I've ever seen. He pretty much wrote out his confession. I dont think he would have been very good in his venture to become a horror movie producer....lol.

And did any of you put any credence into his "publicity stunt" thing? Oh well, I guess he had to give it a shot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiluha View Post
You know, I've always thought that screen writers, true crime writers, homicide detectives, medical examiners are one step away from being serial killers.
Kind of like the way they say a shrink is even more disturbed than their patients, yeah, I get that lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 10:32 PM

1,765 posts, read 1,886,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
My guide said this episode was new, but I know Ive seen it before. Anyway, not much to discuss. I find the most amazing part to have been that it took the jury a whole five hours to convuict him. I dont think it would have taken me five minutes, much less five hours. This guy had to have been one of the dumbest killers I've ever seen. He pretty much wrote out his confession. I dont think he would have been very good in his venture to become a horror movie producer....lol.

And did any of you put any credence into his "publicity stunt" thing? Oh well, I guess he had to give it a shot.

Kind of like the way they say a shrink is even more disturbed than their patients, yeah, I get that lol.
Either it was a repeat or another show did a story about this case, I recognized the story about 15 min in... I remember a couple actually witnessed the guy that got away stumbling/crawling in the street and thought he was trying to lure them, so they ran away. That part was in the show I watched about this case.

You're right he was pretty dumb, just left breadcrumbs all over the place...

You know in Canada there is a very good chance he will get out of prison--Life doesn't mean Life

Old 02-12-2012, 12:03 PM

126 posts, read 178,782 times
I watched the 48 Hrs Mystery and found that they used the "Dexter" connection for publicity. The guy watched Dexter, big deal. I watch Dexter and am not about to go out and kill anyone anymore that watching Saturday morning cartoons makes kids violent.
Interestingly enough, TLC ran an episode of 20/20 on TLC that gave this case as well as that of a 17 year old Indiana boy who killed his brother. He also was a Dexter fan. Both sides of the argument will say the show caused/influenced the boys actions or did not. IMO, you are either disturbed or choose to commit acts such as these on your own, not because "TV made me do it."

Last edited by iRighti; 02-12-2012 at 12:04 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-12-2012, 05:45 PM

18,678 posts, read 23,279,104 times
According to Sigmund Freud, people such as crime writers, police officers, detectives, coroners, and medical examiners ARE close to the people that they study, write about, capture and examine.

The healthy mind will filter such an interest into a career or interest that is positive - or at least not harmful.

People who incorporate such interests into their ego, and do not channel this interest in a positive direction can do very bad things.

It does say something about all of us - but what it says is that OUR PSYCHES were able to divert this interest into a hobby or in some cases a profession.
Our super-egos are repelled (which is good) by the awful deeds of these criminals. The super-ego keeps the interest in check. Fascinated? Sure. But we know it is wrong and bad.

Sociopaths have no such repulsion. They do not have the normal "check" that tells them that something is wrong.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:32 AM

22,890 posts, read 19,327,437 times
Quote:

Nurse mother always said that, "all shrinks NEED shrinks". Maybe that is why they have the highest suicide rate amongst professionals. Probably why I wanted to be one back in my youth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
According to Sigmund Freud, people such as crime writers, police officers, detectives, coroners, and medical examiners ARE close to the people that they study, write about, capture and examine.

The healthy mind will filter such an interest into a career or interest that is positive - or at least not harmful.

People who incorporate such interests into their ego, and do not channel this interest in a positive direction can do very bad things.

It does say something about all of us - but what it says is that OUR PSYCHES were able to divert this interest into a hobby or in some cases a profession.
Our super-egos are repelled (which is good) by the awful deeds of these criminals. The super-ego keeps the interest in check. Fascinated? Sure. But we know it is wrong and bad.

Sociopaths have no such repulsion. They do not have the normal "check" that tells them that something is wrong.
I hate to admit it but I AM very close to their psyches. Fortunatly I DO have repulsion in my character. Good old fashioned self-control has gotten me through these 50+ years. Having good parents probably help immensely too. I maybe too hard on myself but I swear if I did not have the "goodness" my parents instilled in me, it would not bother me at all to go "postal".

I must thank God for being the "contol freak" I am of my psyche. (It is tough admitting your shortcomings!)

I admit this all freely too because you peeps here in C-D are a great bunch of people.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:33 AM

16,019 posts, read 19,711,969 times
I found a website for ID. I have never watched it. Always been a fan of investigative shows 60 minutes, 48 hours...etc.
http://investigation.discovery.com/tv/48-hours/

Old 02-19-2012, 10:56 PM

13,900 posts, read 10,796,204 times
Anyone watch this week? I couldn't.....I was out.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:30 AM

I did it was about the soccer moms-turned-private investigators... real-life "Charlie's Angels." But there were secrets and danger. Maureen Maher reports. The truth behind P.I. Moms scam exposed - CBS News

It's on Dr Phil right now on the east coast...

Quote:
Anyone watch this week? I couldn't.....I was out.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:25 PM

8,236 posts, read 18,527,559 times
I have always thought that if that one channel (Investigative Discovery) were beamed to another planet, we would never have alien visitors. It seems as if family members do nothing but kill each other. Children against parents, wives against husbands..... don't these people think they they will ever get caught?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 02-20-2012, 04:33 PM

Hahaha...Good one! The narcissistic, sociopathic psychopaths never believe they will get caught! They believe they're smarter than everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I have always thought that if that one channel (Investigative Discovery) were beamed to another planet, we would never have alien visitors. It seems as if family members do nothing but kill each other. Children against parents, wives against husbands..... don't these people think they they will ever get caught?

Last edited by tiluha; 02-20-2012 at 04:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or