Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 05:10 AM

973 posts, read 1,453,025 times

Advertisements

The girl in the center of this is is still out free. Free to keep roaming Facebook.

UPDATE: Motive in double murder centers around de-friending on Facebook | TriCities.com

"The motive in a double murder in Johnson County last week is now becoming clearer, according to Sheriff Mike Reece and he says it all centers around Facebook.

Sheriff Reece told us this morning that friends of Billy Payne and Billy Jean Hayworth de-friended a woman named Jenelle Potter last month on the social networking site.

According to the sheriff, that woman is the daughter of Marvin Potter, Jr. and ex-girlfriend of Jamie Lynn Curd.

Sheriff Reece says after they de-friended her, Potter made a threat to the victims and two others on Facebook on January 13th or 14th. Investigators are now in the process of trying to subpoena that Facebook information.

According to the sheriff, the situation angered Potter's dad and that's what led to the murders of Payne and Hayworth, who were killed in front of their six month-old son."

More on the story in the link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 06:56 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,184,275 times
Default Facebook - Has it gone too far?

Murder and domestic violence over Facebook - what has it come to?

NASHVILLE, Tenn (Reuters) - A Tennessee couple who "defriended" a woman on Facebook were murdered in their home by the jilted woman's father and another man, police said on Thursday.

He said Billy Clay Payne, Jr. and Billie Jean Hayworth were killed last month after they deleted Jenelle Potter, the daughter of one of the suspects, from their "friends" list. Both were shot in the head and the man had his throat cut.

The case was not the first involving violence linked to Facebook. Last year in Iowa, a woman was arrested on accusations of setting fire to a friend's garage after she was defriended on the social network site, local media reported.

In Texas, a man was accused of hitting his wife after she failed to "like" a Facebook post he wrote about the anniversary of his mother's death, according to media reports.

Read full article here:

Facebook "defriending" led to double murder, police say - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/facebook-defriending-led-double-murder-police-232730674.html - broken link)

Old 02-10-2012, 07:52 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,391,972 times
That is a horrible story. They shot and killed the woman while she had her baby in her arms. What kind of animal does something like that?

I am not a fan of Facebook but it's not Facebook's fault that people are deranged.

Really, you would kill and destroy and affect the lives of so many people over something so dumb? It's a heartbreak that people don't "think."

Old 02-10-2012, 07:52 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,555,340 times
No wonder this girl had issues. These people are garbage.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:53 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Am I missing something here? What's the question got to do with the story?

Old 02-10-2012, 08:18 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,536,080 times
Believe it or not, a co-worker told me his sister and wife are not talking because his sister un-friended their daughter.

Well, the sister said she never heard a thing from the daughter since befriending her. Really people? And facebook is supposed to bring people together?

Old 02-10-2012, 09:25 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,723,401 times
Just another avenue for the sick and depraved to use to express themselves. I'm in total agreement that it's not FB's fault, it's the fault of the wack jobs who use it! If I didn't read about and hear about these things.....and know them to be true, I'd never believe it. Some of us simply can not imagine thinking like these crazies do.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:31 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,179,793 times
Quote:
Facebook - Has it gone too far?
I don't know Thursday.
I really think some people are nucking futts regardless of whether
they use Facebook as an excuse or not. The majority of the people
on social sites are truly just interested in keeping up with friends or family
....or maybe hooking up for a date.

The creepy people would find another avenue if they didn't have
this one.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:39 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,723,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I don't know Thursday.

this one.
Exactly!! Meanwhile, those of us who are relatively sane, sit back and say.......WTF!!??

Old 02-10-2012, 01:47 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,184,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I don't know Thursday.

this one.
I just read all these threads in Other Topics and Relationships about Facebook this and Facebook that and all the problems and distress it causes so many people and their relationships. I don't use it so some of this is just outrageous to me. There was someone who posted in one of these forums religiously about how upset he got when someone 'defriended' him. It was insane because he didn't know most of them and was simply working on getting his friend count to 600 because it made him feel popular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime